Crissy_v

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2006
Noosa
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Ana Ivanovic
Got accepted to into a 'GO' program @ Uni for next year to go to Norway (town of Arendal) for 4 months. I'm so excited, anyone been to Norway, anything I should know?

Got accepted to into a 'GO' program @ Uni for next year to go to Norway (town of Arendal) for 4 months. I'm so excited, anyone been to Norway, anything I should know?

Its ****ing expensive, expect to pay A$17 for a big mac meal, and other ridicoulas prices such as $9 for a hot meal from 7-11, hope you have a decent paying job :thumbsu: Apart from that its a beautiful country

Good on you! This sort of thing can change your world. Enjoy your time and make sure you learn the language ASAP.

Of course when I read the thread title, I only clicked on it because I thought is said "Yasssssssssssss!"

My brother lives in Norway, in Stavanger, been there twice.

What months are you going? And where's Arendal? Norway winter/summer are a huge difference.

Norway's an amazing country, but the weather's pretty to very bad. I've been there for 21 days in total and I've only had 1 day of sunshine (was in autumn and winter though).

I find the people quite distant (not to say some are unfriendly) compared to other Europeans, but I guess you'll be fine meeting people at uni.

I also think Norwegian drinking culture is a bit odd. They only drink 1 night per week, saturday night. Because alcohol is that expensive, they'll get completely pissed at home first so they don't have to spend that much in the pub anymore. That one night per week, some will completely intoxicate themselves. But if you go out on a tuesday and drink 1 glass of wine, some will see you as you having an alcohol problem :D.

And also, if you want to learn Norwegian, do it before you leave. Over there most will insist on talking English to you because a) they'll want to show you how good their English is and b) they'll find out very quickly conversations will be a lot smoother in English.

My brother lives in Norway, in Stavanger, been there twice.

What months are you going? And where's Arendal? Norway winter/summer are a huge difference.

Norway's an amazing country, but the weather's pretty to very bad. I've been there for 21 days in total and I've only had 1 day of sunshine (was in autumn and winter though).

I find the people quite distant (not to say some are unfriendly) compared to other Europeans, but I guess you'll be fine meeting people at uni.

I also think Norwegian drinking culture is a bit odd. They only drink 1 night per week, saturday night. Because alcohol is that expensive, they'll get completely pissed at home first so they don't have to spend that much in the pub anymore. That one night per week, some will completely intoxicate themselves. But if you go out on a tuesday and drink 1 glass of wine, some will see you as you having an alcohol problem :D.

And also, if you want to learn Norwegian, do it before you leave. Over there most will insist on talking English to you because a) they'll want to show you how good their English is and b) they'll find out very quickly conversations will be a lot smoother in English.

Its in the south not too far from Oslo, I'm going in their summer(our winter). yeah I know all about their drinking culture its similar to Reyjavik where every stays in till 10 and then hits the town and suddenly it alive. I've done a 'crash course' on the lingo @ some linguistic school or something but yes I will study and learn alot more B4 i go. Before I come back I'm going to Iceland for 5 days(out of my own pocket/time), just have always wanted to go there aswell so yeah it should be great.

Got some viking blood in me. One quarter Norwegian actually and went there in 2004.

As mentioned it's bloody expensive. As a rough guide everything is 2.5 times more expensive. Petrol is over the equiv. of $2.50 a litre.
Alcohol as I remember it was run by the government (I think it may have been relxed since I was there, but not sure) and subsequently is outrageously taxed. The stores are actually called "Vin Monopolet" or Wine monopoly. They're not subtle about their control over alcohol. I remember a 6-pack of beer was $36, cheapest goon bag was $80 and Beam/Jack were at least $75 for a 700mL bottle. :eek:

Went to one nightclub in Trondheim and Heineken (the standard beer there) and others were $12 a pop so drunks are cashed up drunks. This particular night club was very popular as there was a large uni student population in Trondheim.

Careful of hidden speed cameras. All fines and toll roads are also 2-3 times more expensive. And tolls ("Bom's") are everywhere!

Drivers really don't follow many road rules so if you do drive be extra cautious. 'Right of way' goes out the window at intersections. Resembles something more of whomever is waiting the longest goes first.

Anyone younger than 50 will speak english. English became compulsory in the 60's.

Generally are a laid back people, just be polite and they are generally welcoming. As the country is expensive there is a high standard of living. As far as I'm aware it's the richest country in the world (per capita or something similar).

Summer is awesome - there's a real festive feel amongst the citizens for a couple of months as they don't have to deal with the constant sub zero temps and handful of hours sunlight per day. At the height of summer you be getting 18 hours sunlight a day so cover any windows well if you value your sleep. Plus at midnight it's still very light.

Weather in summer isn't too bad. Of the three weeks I was there is rained on two days with most being sunny and warm. Like England 30ºC is a heat wave. Most days were about 20-25ºC, but the odd day it will fail to reach 10ºC.

Suggested places to visit around the country:
Fjords such as Geirangerfjord, Sognefjord and Hardangerfjord (all on the west coast)
The WWII Nazi heavy water plant at Vemork.
The Trollsteigen
If you ever make it up to Trondheim there's a little town not too far called 'Hell' and it does freeze over every winter. The train station there is paticularly amusing as it is a 'goods delivery' station. This literally translates to "Hell - God's expedition" in Norwegian (http://hemsidor.torget.se/users/c/ctc1/hell97/gods.jpg).

In Oslo:
All the museums on Bygdøy (such as the Viking ship museum)
Vigeland monument park

Pretty much depends what you like, but I most enjoyed the west coast and all the mountains, glaciers, fjords

So some pix to give you an idea:
Trollstiegen

1760532.jpg

Geirangerfjord

rtw.1092410580.g-viewpt.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back