Social Your GIANTS story... How you came to be a GWS/AFL fan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Part of me wants to laugh, but honestly, is being female really that bad that it's an insult?
Nah, being Dale Thomas is that bad that it's an insult.

Born in Tassie but moved to NSW when I was 3 and raised in Campbelltown but also spent a couple of years in St Mary's where I attended Bennett Road Primary School.

Grew up a passionate Canterbury Bankstown supporter but as a sports lover always had a casual interest in AFL for the Swans.

Over the years through Super League, salary cap and other scandals as well as terrible administration from the NRL my interest in rugby league waned.

A few years ago I had to move down to Melbourne for work and at this time which coincided with the Giants inception I decided with my Westie roots it was a great team to get behind.

I became a Victorian member in year 2 and have been ever since with my wife also a member.

The Giants are now my favourite team and even though work has precluded me from getting to games I love them with a passion.

Watching the team go through all the tough times and now showing signs of success has been a great ride and I can't wait to see where it takes me!
Did you sit with the Cheer Squad in Melbourne?

No

Not sure what you're getting at, feeling like I've died and being judged by the big fella.

I can say I've never told my own club to go and get f'd. Even when they routinely got thrashed!
Up until this year, I was a Victorian Giants member. I used to sit in the Cheer Squad with my wife.

I was trying to ascertain wether or not I knew you.

FFS you have massive flog tendencies. Canterbury fan shines through in you.

Up until this year, I was a Victorian Giants member. I used to sit in the Cheer Squad with my wife.

I was trying to ascertain wether or not I knew you.

FFS you have massive flog tendencies. Canterbury fan shines through in you.

You're not normal. I thought that after the Eagles meltdown.

Fans don't turn on their own like that.

Gentlemen.

Our boys are under pressure. We're going up against a rival who has had the wood on us for a while. Is this REALLY the time to be at each others throats?

I moved from Texas to West Syd. in 2012. I had friends from Melb. and Syd. that got me into AFL. It was fun watching North and the Swans play, but I never really enjoyed the sport until GWS came along. They were new to town and so was I, it was a perfect fit.

I was lucky enough to be a member for the inaugural season and I couldn't believe how inclusive the club was. I had a chance to meet the players, make a few banners(thanks cheer squad), and had the honor of cheering GWS through three seasons before I went back to the states.

Now I've converted the garage into my Giants game den so I can scream my lungs out at 3 a.m. without waking up the house. I can say without a doubt that GWS is my favorite team of any sport, and that's coming from an avid Dallas Cowboys fan of 20 yrs. They're just too much fun to watch!

It's been amazing watching scrawny teenagers develop into one of the most impressive teams in the AFL. Hell even my swans and north supporting mates have bought memberships for GWS this year :D

Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to afford a trip back for the GF in the next few yrs.

I grew up in Perth and Melbourne. Followed Carlton as a young'un and really enjoyed going to see the big games at the 'G'. During the 90s Carlton lost their way off field, and I started to question the club's culture. As a kid I just didn't care, but as an adult I did. With the Eagles joing the VFL and the birth of the AFL, eventually I left the Blues behind.

Following a team from the other side of the country is tough, and most of the last 15 years I have been in QLD and NSW. You don't see many games, live or on TV! I was disappointed with the drug culture that popped up in the naughties, but thought the club eventually learned their lessons. I still see the Eagles as my second team these days.

I moved to the Western Sydney region several years ago and really didn't think much of the GWS concept early on. It just wasn't on my radar to be honest. I had drifted away from AFL more than I realised. Then a friend asked me whether I was going to become a foundation member. He said, 'weren't you actually born in Western Sydney?' That struck cord with me. 'Foundation Member'. I was actually born in Wndsor, and now as fate would have it, living in Western Sydney.

So, I signed up the family as Foundation Members in 2011. Since then I have fallen in love with this great game of ours all over again. I have also fallen in love with this club and feel more connected with the Giants than I ever did with Carlton or the Eagles. A strong part of this is being a member and going to the games come fair weather of foul. Go Giants!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I grew up in the Shire and was a season ticket holder for the Sharks. Moved to Canberra after Uni and was introduced to the Brumbies. Super League happened and I was p!ssed off at the way the Sharks were treating its fans/members so I was pretty dirty for some time. The AFL and Super Rugby took more of an interest, especially since a lot of my ACT friends were from AFL states and there were more AFL tipping comps. I was nominally a Swans fan but couldn't name for than five or six players on the list. Then I started going out with this Geelong fan who, like all Geelong fans I know, was really into AFL so I was watching more games and knew the Geelong list really well but I followed Sydney.

We moved to Western Sydney but only went to Geelong v. swans games until they announced this new team. I decided none of this half arsed business and decided to make the Giants my team. No regrets.

You can't even answer a question.

Eff off flog.

Ignore.
Andre the Giant has been a member on here for a VERY LONG TiME. and deserves a bit more respect.
I for one do not appreciate a lot of the foul language and out and out hostility in your posts.
We all lost the plot on occaision here (Whatver happened to Curtley Hampton :)) but lets keep this board at least civil when we cannot agree with each other

Andre the Giant has been a member on here for a VERY LONG TiME. and deserves a bit more respect.
I for one do not appreciate a lot of the foul language and out and out hostility in your posts.
We all lost the plot on occaision here (Whatver happened to Curtley Hampton :)) but lets keep this board at least civil when we cannot agree with each other
Good on him.

Go back and read what I wrote. Anywhere does it allude to him "not being a fan" because he's missed a game here and there?

I was trying to see if I knew him and his wife, as I said, because for the last 3 years I've been a Victorian Giant member and we sat with the CS to be with other fans.

Judging by his reactions and barely legible responses it dawned on me that if he DID sit with the CS I wouldn't have spoken to him because he's a proper, proper tosser.

Good on him.

Go back and read what I wrote. Anywhere does it allude to him "not being a fan" because he's missed a game here and there?

I was trying to see if I knew him and his wife, as I said, because for the last 3 years I've been a Victorian Giant member and we sat with the CS to be with other fans.

Judging by his reactions and barely legible responses it dawned on me that if he DID sit with the CS I wouldn't have spoken to him because he's a proper, proper tosser.

I think if that was genuinely your motive you would have just asked. It was pretty clear you had a different agenda.

It's a bit sad given this was a really positive thread and you've brought some cynasism and negativity to it.

I personally find it really hard to reconcile with people who are so openly critical and viscious towards their own players...regardless of their circumstance.

Anyway clearly we see the world a bit differently so best we just ignore each other and not bore everybody else.

Thanks for the kind words BJ

Unfortunately, internet forums and the English language make it hard to pick up the subtleties of what we try to communicate in a few lines.

I didn't see any malice in the posts but the responses got a bit personal. Hope you guys can work it out as I value posts from you both.

love to stay and play a bit longerer but Im off to the Orange Auskick carnival now, We are part of the Giants Zone so hopefully a few future Giants Draft pick will be spent on some of todays tallent on show. Teams from Bathurst, Young, Dubbo, Cowra and of course Orange come together for some footy, a bbq and a even a jumping castle. Sounds fun to me. See yall later this afternoon AND PLAY NICE.

Unfortunately, internet forums and the English language make it hard to pick up the subtleties of what we try to communicate in a few lines.

That is why punctuation and emojis were invented! Am I the only one who loves having fun changing the tone of complete sentences, with just the flick of a comma or the hint of a exclamation mark?

Amen, Kezzstar! :thumbsu:
Patfull:hearts: did you proud yesterday on a tough matchup.

You ALMOST had it!

Anyway, he ticked me off once or twice yesterday (that first Betts goal! Rare for him to get outread, and frustrating as anything to watch when it happens), but overall I'm thrilled with how he's going, and I reckon you guys should be too. I can't wait for August and his 200th game (provided he doesn't skip a game so number 200 is against Port in Adelaide, even though that would be poetic as a) Port didn't want him, b) his first game was in Adelaide against Port and c) he's an Adelaide boy himself), which reminds me, I need a bigger suitcase and some chloroform...

love to stay and play a bit longerer but Im off to the Orange Auskick carnival now, We are part of the Giants Zone so hopefully a few future Giants Draft pick will be spent on some of todays tallent on show. Teams from Bathurst, Young, Dubbo, Cowra and of course Orange come together for some footy, a bbq and a even a jumping castle. Sounds fun to me. See yall later this afternoon AND PLAY NICE.
Sounds like a ripping afternoon!

Lesson learned!
I will spell Patfull correctly
I will spell Patfull correctly...

I wil spel Patful correcty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back