80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
Anyone have an answer as to why you have to play in a comp to submit a card.
I am a private club member but I also play at other courses and it annoys the hell out of me why I cannot submit a card when I play at other courses. I always am playing with fellow members of my Golf Club which means we all have a golf link number.
I just don't understand why we can't do this? Now that most clubs have MiScore it should not be an issue.
Are they concerned people will cheat? Only cheating themselves if they do.
What is the issue if you are playing with another player who is a golflink member.

I am a private club member but I also play at other courses and it annoys the hell out of me why I cannot submit a card when I play at other courses. I always am playing with fellow members of my Golf Club which means we all have a golf link number.
I just don't understand why we can't do this? Now that most clubs have MiScore it should not be an issue.
What is the issue if you are playing with another player who is a golflink member.

You could play comps at these other clubs? I do every now and then at my mate’s home clubs

Or, join Future golf. If you’re a member with them you can submit social rounds as long as long as your card is signed off by someone with a golf link number. I submit my monthly rounds that I play with my social group. You just have to nominate the round first then make sure you fill in the scorecard properly.

In other countries, like America, I think handicaps are grossly skewed because they can submit scores for any round played from any tee in any format to their handicaps. There is little accountability. I reckon it’s dubious that all these rounds are played to the actual rules of golf.

Maybe golf Australia want to preserve the integrity of maintaining a handicap. I’ve played with golfers overseas with low teen USGA handicaps, and they’ve struggled to get the ball in the air.

Last edited:

depends on the club. some clubs allow card for handicapping (i.e. not going in the comp). others dont.
so wait, youre saying they insist on you entering the comp?

We don't, just have to have the card signed by a marker with a handicap. Doesn’t have to be a comp or my home course.

18 points in the chicken run. 2 eagle putts. Stuffed up 2 drives trying to show off. Trying cut one around the corner and trying to draw one into a driveable par 4. Double crossed myself both times! Smoked one down the 9th. Good fun.

But I could go to Royal Melbourne on a golf trip and I should be able to submit a card at that course. It’s ridiculous that I can’t unless there is a comp.
I may be uneducated, but my understanding is that you don't need to be in a comp. Your card just just needs to signed by a marker that has a handicap.

But I could go to Royal Melbourne on a golf trip and I should be able to submit a card at that course. It’s ridiculous that I can’t unless there is a comp.

Pretty sure in my experience I can hand card for handi when I’ve visited other courses. Unless it’s specified there is no comp and social only.

May I ask why not enter the comp?

Pretty sure in my experience I can hand card for handi when I’ve visited other courses. Unless it’s specified there is no comp and social only.

May I ask why not enter the comp?

Clubs don’t have a comp every day. I play in my clubs comp on Wednesday and Saturday, they also have comps on Sunday and a Friday. But if I go to another club on Tuesday arvo they won’t have a comp on. If I am with another Golflink member we should be able to submit a scorecard.

Last edited:
Clubs don’t have a comp every day. I play in my clubs comp on Wednesday and Saturday, they also have comps on Sunday and a Friday. But if I go to another club on Tuesday arvo they won’t have a comp on. If I am with another Golflink member we should be able to submit a scorecard.
Why can't you? Who says you can't? I've had a look and can't see anywhere that cards can only be submitted in comps. I'm intrigued.

Why can't you? Who says you can't? I've had a look and can't see anywhere that cards can only be submitted in comps. I'm intrigued.
Currently at the Dunes you have to play in a comp to submit a card, but guess what no comps atm due to the stupid rules! It’s very frustrating as when playing we treat it as if we’re playing in a comp, and when you have a decent round, like I did last week, it counts for nothing.

I may be uneducated, but my understanding is that you don't need to be in a comp. Your card just just needs to signed by a marker that has a handicap.

At private clubs you need to play a comp to submit it towards your handicap in my experience over here in the West. Hence I got a future golf membership too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Currently at the Dunes you have to play in a comp to submit a card, but guess what no comps atm due to the stupid rules! It’s very frustrating as when playing we treat it as if we’re playing in a comp, and when you have a decent round, like I did last week, it counts for nothing.

Future golf is your answer.

And if you have a poor round it counts for nothing. i agree that we should be able to play comps as there's no difference, but we're all in the same boat (aka no comp no handicapping).

just think all this social golf should put you in good stead once the real stuff is back.

at national you can put a card in comp or no comp (no covid)

At private clubs you need to play a comp to submit it towards your handicap in my experience over here in the West. Hence I got a future golf membership too.
What's driving that? Is it a COVID thing where they don't want to touch cards? Because things have moved to apps? Or more selfish in that they want people paying comp fees? I've played social rounds at other courses using a scorecard and have taken the card back to my course and they have entered the round.

What's driving that? Is it a COVID thing where they don't want to touch cards? Because things have moved to apps? Or more selfish in that they want people paying comp fees? I've played social rounds at other courses using a scorecard and have taken the card back to my course and they have entered the round.

Not sure. Pretty sure it’s not a COVID thing. It might be a safeguard thing to protect against sandbagging.

fairly sure the app came into play before covid. i know someone who was involved in this, and played with him pre app.

nothin to do with comp fees as you can still submit a card through the app, just let the club know you dont wish to be in the comp and they take you out. well it is what happens at my clubs

Is it just my club or is this happening elsewhere?
We are about to have four different tee markers and you’ll nominate which colour you play off that day and he handicapped accordingly.
Think it’s to do away with any men’s or women’s comps and just have all open days. I can only see it slowing play down significantly.

We are about to have four different tee markers and you’ll nominate which colour you play off that day and he handicapped accordingly.
Think it’s to do away with any men’s or women’s comps and just have all open days. I can only see it slowing play down significantly.

I think the new handicap system enables this to happen. Pretty sure at my club you can only choose to play off two different sets of tees though and nearly everyone chooses to play off the regular ones.

Competitions at National are already all in which makes complete sense to me. A while ago they started encouraging people to use alternative tees which again I think is a very positive idea. It's a shame there is such a stigma attached to the colour of a tee marker as many older guys and higher handicappers who don't hit the ball too far would probably have much more fun playing a shorter setup and avoid having to hit a hybrid or fairway wood into every par 3 and 4. The newly renovated Sandy Golf Links and Lonsdale links have changed the colour of their markers to try and encourage use of the shorter option for people who could benefit from it. I hit the ball a reasonable distance and regularly play shorter tees for a bit of fun and to give the course a different flavour.

As for slowing play down I don't see how this is going to add much more than 20 seconds per hole. This time can be easily saved in other ways e.g walking faster, less practice swings, not walking in a row and waiting behind each player when they hit, moving to the next tee box while the rest of the group putt out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back