-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:

Rosebud CC North today, 34 pts.
Must say I have never been more stuffed after a round. The wind was unbelievably strong.
Everyone in our group had our buggies blow over at least once, never seen that before.
It was a race to mark our balls on the greens as the wind was blowing them off.
Putting and driving we’re extremely difficult, so happy with my score.
The course was in fantastic condition and holes 12-18 wouldn’t be out of place in many of our well known sand belt courses.
Unfortunately the front nine is not as pleasing.
But all in all a very underrated course ( not sure if it’s in top 100, but it would replace quite a few imo)
Will play again.

56 at Carramar yesterday. Putting was terrible and had an absolute shocker on the last hole, a Par 5, scrubbed a 9 iron to get on the green in 3, ended up in a bunker, yada, yada, ended with a 9 which stuffed me. Putting was terrible every hole. Bonus for the round is I stayed away from the bush, getting more confident with my driver, 5 better than when I played the same 9 a couple of weeks ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We seem to be at around the same stage of our golf journey. Don't get disheartened and best advice I can give is to get a lesson or 2. Will do wonders. Hit 65 at Marangaroo, had a lesson, made some adjustments, next time I played there - 53.
Yeah I will be getting a lesson! Haven’t played Marangaroo, it’s on the list.

I’ve worked out today from the last time I played that I need to aim more left, my natural swing sends the ball sweeping to the right, especially when driving.

I’ve also got no idea what to use when I’m under 10-15 metres from the pin but not on the green. That 10 I got on hole 7, I was at about 12 metres from the pin and on my third hit and used my PW and thought I just tapped it but it ended up 12 metres on the opposite side of the green. Think I’ll just use my putter in that situation from now on.

Might have to catch up for a game, us Perth folk are fewer and far between!

I’ve also got no idea what to use when I’m under 10-15 metres from the pin but not on the green. That 10 I got on hole 7, I was at about 12 metres from the pin and on my third hit and used my PW and thought I just tapped it but it ended up 12 metres on the opposite side of the green. Think I’ll just use my putter in that situation from now on.
If the ground is flat in front of you, putting is generally a safe shot if you are not confident with a chip. It might not get as close as a good chip but the misses from a fat or thinned chip will end up much worse.

Yeah I will be getting a lesson! Haven’t played Marangaroo, it’s on the list.

I’ve worked out today from the last time I played that I need to aim more left, my natural swing sends the ball sweeping to the right, especially when driving.

Might have to catch up for a game, us Perth folk are fewer and far between!
I can think of about 8 ways to play that shot but the rule of thumb is if you can putt....then putt.

Chief rather than being listed under general sports, can we get a standalone “Golf” thread ala Cricket?
Cheers IE
If you like. Need someone to take responsibility and do new threads, post previews, results etc or it could just become a dead channel.

Technically though, do you have to be on the green to use your putter though?

There ain’t no technically in golf. Hot whatever you’re comfy with. For example I used to use my hybrid around greens to bump and run a ball. Depending on circumstance, weather, conditions I’ll either putt, chip, flop, pitch or bump and run.

But as others have said. If u can putt, putt.

If you can’t putt then play %s.

It also depends on what clubs you have in your arsenal.

Some people I know, especially if it is a little flat and have a decent amount of green to work with (pin is not too close to the edge near you) use a 7 or 8 and just use a putting action to great effect. It gets it in the air just enough to take out any inconsistencies that the long grass around the edge gives and takes away any chance of the leading edge causing problems (fats and thins). You can develop really good feel with it and helps your scores come down if you can finish off those putts around 5 foot. Aim to give yourself a decent chance with the putter.

Also don't fall into the trap of never chipping...like my brother. He uses putter all the time (fairly well) but there are times when you have no choice and he really falls to pieces as he just do it enough anymore. Keep developing it...have a pitch around the green after you finish a hole if the course is quiet and your not holding anyone up.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back