Mong

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Crows
I have to say I am really happy with the what appears to be a policy by Ayres and co to give all the youth a go by rotation.

There have been many calls for the Crows to stick the young players in the team all at once and develop for the future.

I think the reality is that the young and inexperienced players need to be in a competitive team and also be surrounded by experience.

Jericho came into the team after a few good SANFL games and although many thought he wasn't quite ready he did ok. He would've learnt a lot but I think it was about time he went back to the SANFL. He'll work his way back into the Crows again soon but he just needs to get a bit of confidence back.

It appears Watts may be on the verge of his first game for the Crows. So out with Jericho, in with Watts. Bock has been given a few games and is improving weekly. Schuback had a stint a few weeks ago and after a spell back in the SANFL has been called up again.

Reilly will get games at some stage too. And it wouldn't surprise me if Rutten gets a go soon also.

I like the way we are giving the youngsters a go without throwing them all in at once, but rather rotating the selection of these players.

At the end of the season they will all have played 5-10 games and the club and their development will be better off for it.

Good, sensible comments.

We have a good club, we need to support some very astute people, who are making good decisions wr to our young players.

We tried to win a premiership two year ago by getting Carey et al. it did not work, but it was worth the try. if it had worked and it nearly did last year (up to Round 19), everyone at the AFC would have been called geniuses.

We now have to resort to building up the side again through a combination of youth and experience. Young players find it difficult to sustain their form. Like Mark Thompson did a few years ago with Ablett, Chapman and co the youngsters need to be rotated through the senior side.

Lets hope Rutten and Reilly get their chance again soon. We need to see whether they can mix it at this level as well.

If Krueger can get fit and get some games under his belt for the Bays he too should get his chance towards the end of the year.

As I have said under numerous threads, given the constricitons of going for expereince in 2003, the recruiting committee has done well in the last few years. Jericho, Schuback, Hentshell, Bock, Reilly, Watts, Hudson all look like they can play. Some are tall, others are quick etc., and to play consistent AFL football you have to be able to have a few tricks to succeed.

I am extremely happy that we are giving youngsters a go at all costs. I have praised Gary for doing this while his head is on the chopping block.

My personal opinion is that if a youngsters is performing well then keep him in the side. Hentschel is a perfect example of this. He has been good this season and he is the only youngster that we haven't contemplated about dropping. If he can continue on with this form and stay innjury free he would probably play every game this year.

Watts is still not a given to play. Begley is definetly out and Torney has come in for him. Carey didn't train today but is expected to play. It very unusual for us to take an emergency with us to Melbourne. Watts will travel with the team so one has a feeling that one of the talls is in doubt (Bassett or Carey). Usually we take emergencies on longer trips and its rare that we take on to Melbourne especially if their team is due to play at roughly the same time as the Crows.

I have no problem with giving youngsters a go but I would rather play the youngsters of higher quality. Eg Reilly instead of Mattner.

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
I have no problem with giving youngsters a go but I would rather play the youngsters of higher quality. Eg Reilly instead of Mattner. [/B]

completely different players for a start...i think Skipworth for Reilly is a much better swap...how many chances foes Skippy want!!??:confused:

for all the crap that ive given Mattner over the past 12 months he has come into the side and held is own..which is more than i can say for some of the boys!

Originally posted by Tyson20
completely different players for a start...i think Skipworth for Reilly is a much better swap...how many chances foes Skippy want!!??:confused:

for all the crap that ive given Mattner over the past 12 months he has come into the side and held is own..which is more than i can say for some of the boys!
Mattner is CRAP. If he can't hit a team mate that 2 meters away with a handball under no pressure, then he DOESN'T deserve a game. Mattner is played as a wingman or HBF both are the roles that Reilly has played in the past and at least Reilly will not burn the ball unlike Mattner.

Mattner is CRAP. If he can't hit a team mate that 2 meters away with a handball under no pressure, then he DOESN'T deserve a game. Mattner is played as a wingman or HBF both are the roles that Reilly has played in the past and at least Reilly will not burn the ball unlike Mattner.

Tragenza,McGuiness.....Getting the ball is the first skill any player should possess. Connell my god how many games did this guy play for us?
Mattner has something about him that gets the ball. I don't think he will be a mega star but hey....he's better than a few of them

Originally posted by Watzsup
Connell my god how many games did this guy play for us?
Mattner, he's better than a few of them
I used to cringe when matty got it (you just new he would do something dumb).
I keep refering to him when we have discussed how Burton burns the ball so much.
And how the hell did connel ever win a gold jacket???
the problem here (I think) is that a lot of members were too young to remember.

Mattner will be a bloody good player. In 5 years no one will remember his "learning phase"

Mattner will be a bloody good player. In 5 years no one will remember his "learning phase" [/B][/QUOTE]

the hope is does not go on too long and that the younger players learn or adapt pretty quick...Mattner is not going to be delisted (could be traded). getting game time is the best thing. I remember Edwards playing like crap...going back to Westies...playing like crap....got promoted due to injury not form. Never been back to the bloods since and played great footy for the crows ever since.

the hope is does not go on too long and that the younger players learn or adapt pretty quick...Mattner is not going to be delisted (could be traded). getting game time is the best thing. I remember Edwards playing like crap...going back to Westies...playing like crap....got promoted due to injury not form. Never been back to the bloods since and played great footy for the crows ever since.
Roo did an apprentiship too algouth the press he getting this week seems to have forgotten.

Mattner is 22

Well that send a few tremors down the spine of some of our older players....At what age do you think a footballer reaches his peak?

Well that send a few tremors down the spine of some of our older players....At what age do you think a footballer reaches his peak?

Mattner sends more tremors down the spine of the Crows fans' rather than his team-mates. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by macca23
Mattner sends more tremors down the spine of the Crows fans' rather than his team-mates. :(

Most of the games I've been to at FP the tremors would not run too far then

hmmm dont recall Reilly playing on HBF but i will take your word for it...I also recall that Mattner hasnt been the only player to burn the ball over the past few weeks... :eek:

I agree Reilly should be in...just at the expense of Skipworth NOT Mattner...for now anyway!

I dont mind this weeks team...but all the second and third tier players need to play well if we are going to win...Stevo will get a good defender so that will free up Carey, and we've shown that we can get the ball down there...should b a cracking game partic as it appears it may b raining...

GO CROWS! :p

Originally posted by Tyson20
hmmm dont recall Reilly playing on HBF but i will take your word for it...I also recall that Mattner hasnt been the only player to burn the ball over the past few weeks... :eek:

I agree Reilly should be in...just at the expense of Skipworth NOT Mattner...for now anyway!

I dont mind this weeks team...but all the second and third tier players need to play well if we are going to win...Stevo will get a good defender so that will free up Carey, and we've shown that we can get the ball down there...should b a cracking game partic as it appears it may b raining...

GO CROWS! :p
Sorry guys, no sign of rain.
Nice and fine outside, good footy day, good day for talls (watts?)

Adelaide will be competitive as always, but gee theres a lot of fringe players in, which makes predictions very difficult.

Toss of the coin:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back