Past Jared Brennan (2003-2010)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Jared Brennan

I am liking being in this position during trade time - they want our player, albeit a good player, we are in the position to play hard ball, usually its the other way around.

Local derby rivalry already heating up as Suns look to poach Jared Brennan
  • Alastair Lynch
  • September 19, 2010 12:00AM
In a normal market, he wouldn't command anything like $600,000 a year, but this is the inflated market while the Gold Coast and West Sydney clubs are set up.

So, it'll be a delicate and intriguing battle for the Lions to get worthwhile compensation if Brennan has his way. It should be a late first-round draft pick, which would go against talk from the Gold Coast in which they declared their nine first-round picks were off-limits.

brennan13.jpg

Pot of gold
GREY MORRIS
September 16th, 2010

JARED Brennan's AFL career moved closer to the Gold Coast this week. "The Gold Coast are probably favourites, though Carlton looks like it is interested too," Brennan told the NT News yesterday.
Financial security for Brennan, his wife and two daughters was always at the forefront of any negotiations.
Brennan has also demanded a midfield role as opposed to key positions up forward or down back.
"The midfield is where I play my best footy and I beleive the best way I can contribute to a footy team," he said. "If they want a full forward, centre half-forward or even a ruckman I'm out of there."

brennan12.jpg

Wow wants 600k a year, 4 years and the ability to decide what position he plays.

When did Jared become so self assured?

...and what has he done to justify it? *shakes head in disbelief*

Anyone else get the impression that there was very little agonising over the decision to leave? He doesn't seem to have much identification with the Lions.

Does Jared seem to have an over-inflated opinion of himself? Demanding to play midfield or he's "out of there", talking about his suitors before a deal has even been done and don't even start about the price that he's going for... Stark contrast to how Rischitelli handled it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else get the impression that there was very little agonising over the decision to leave? He doesn't seem to have much identification with the Lions.

Yep, betting he noticed there was 2 "I's" in the Brisbane Lions Team and for him there can only be one..

Link

Ratten also confirmed the club's interest in Jared Brennan, who has played his last game for the Brisbane Lions and has already been linked to Gold Coast. At 195cm, Brennan has a proven ability to play in the forward line, midfield or backline."I think when a player of his calibre comes out, if you've got room in your salary cap and that opportunity arises, I think you really take it seriously," Ratten said.
"I think what he can do as a player is turn a game and I suppose some of those battles we have had [against Brisbane] ... were really tight tussles and he's one that really did cause a bit of a problem in the coach's box for me. I think in one of the games he scored something like four goals in about 15 minutes and we thought, 'He's on fire, how do we stop him?'

brennan4.jpg

Link

Any clubs hoping to take top-10 draft selections away from the Suns look set to be disappointed.

"Trade week is not a major part of our (recruiting) strategy," Gold Coast chief executive Travis Auld told AAP.

"We've said before that we don't expect to be active. We'll have our phones on and we'll listen, but it's not a priority."

The Suns continue to be linked with disgruntled Brisbane Lion Jared Brennan, although the enigmatic forward seems more likely to join a Melbourne-based club.

Sounds like Gold Coast are trying to play it cool re: Brennan.

I reckon they're skill keen.

They are obviously trying to cool down a red hot headed lions who are still frustrated at losing Risky and won't give Brenna away easily to the team that stole their other mid-20's aged midfielder.

We better make them sweat

Sounds like Gold Coast are trying to play it cool re: Brennan.

I reckon they're skill keen.

Especially with the mooted 5-8 uncontracted players now looking closer to 5-6...

This will most likely be the last contract that Jared will sign and he needs to set himself and his family up for life after football. Purely from the money point of view he needs to take his talents elsewhere. Jared the footballer and Jared the person would however be much better off staying with the Lions. While he would play some great games where ever he goes it has taken quite a few years for him to look comfortable as an AFL player. I wonder how long it would take for him to be comfortable at another club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back