News Saints to play ANZAC Day & home matches in New Zealand

Remove this Banner Ad

If we start with just 1 match a year, I don't want us to play the Hawks.

We want development opportunities and another fan base, and with Hawthorn already invested there, it'ld be a conflict of interest for us.

Would much prefer to play Brisbane/Sydney/GC/GWS. With options for Melbourne teams with more games.

This is going to be huge. I hope more clubs do things like this instead of writing cheques to those crooks.

At least with the two new teams it actually decreases the reliance on Etiahad.

It is now possible to play two games in queensland and two games in sydney on a given weekend.

Maybe they should schedule an Etihad free week just to put some pressure on the stadium managment.

Friday Night Gold Coast.
Saturday, Gabba, Launceston, SCG, Pattison, MCG
Sunday, Telstra Stadium , MCG , Football Park

As soon as next year? Wow. I highly doubt the government will chip in any serious coin, as NZ residents will have very little interest in AFL football. In fact, they will have no idea at all.

If St.kilda can make some dollars out of this, i'm all for it.

This is fantastic news for the St Kilda Football club. This will put us right up there with Collingwood and Hawthorn if done properly.

Four games a year in New Zealand plus a NAB Cup game would be SAINTSATIONAL. We would be able to earn close to $3Million per year I would have thought. Not to mention the extra memberships generated, sponsorships, exposure!!!! Similar to the Hawthorn deal but better IMHO.

I would expect at least 10,000 kiwi members within 10 years. And this in turn will get a lot of Kiwi's in Australia on board as well. Not to mention that all Kiwis who migrate to Australia would also get on board with the Saints.

This is a WIN WIN for the club and definately will turn our club into a POWERHOUSE club on and off the field (especially off the field).

we might as well keep this discussion going

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/6769119/St-Kilda-see-bright-AFL-future-in-Wellington

St Kilda chief executive Michael Nettlefold is "extremely excited" about plans to play an historic AFL game in Wellington.

The Melbourne club, the AFL, and Wellington City Council are in talks about St Kilda playing a "home" game at Westpac Stadium on Anzac Day next year.

It would be the first time an AFL premiership game has been played outside Australia and while Nettlefold admitted there was "still a lot of work to be done", there is genuine enthusiasm from all three parties to make it happen.

"We're extremely excited about the prospect of bringing AFL to Wellington. There's still a lot of work to be done, obviously it's a very big project," Nettlefold said.

I don't see anything too "exciting" about requiring a passport to go and see a home and away game. Financial reasons would be the only benefit, and it would want to be alot of money. Why would any supporter be happy about moving games to the other side of Tasman sea.
Nettlefold talks like we re all niave .

I don't see anything too "exciting" about requiring a passport to go and see a home and away game. Financial reasons would be the only benefit, and it would want to be alot of money. Why would any supporter be happy about moving games to the other side of Tasman sea.
Nettlefold talks like we re all niave .

i'll take my passport and go!!!

Nettlefold said last night that talks were going well but still bit work to do. They are hopeful that first game will be ANZAC Day in 2013 but nothing confirmed at this stage. Will be Wellington as that ground is perfectly set up for AFL. Apparently their NZ Auskick program had 500 members not that long ago but has grown to 30,000+ this year!!

Certainly was all Pelchens idea. Apparently he was very keen to do it at Hawthorn, and they were waiting for the Tasmania deal to end before playing home games in New Zealand. Now that we have Pelchen, he's taken the idea too which is good for us.

4 home games over there a year by 2018 i heard. Is this correct?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Four would be a bit too much. One or two seems best.

Disagree, more is more. "4 games" in NZ is cool, and doesn't necessarily mean 4 games in Wellington. Could be 2 Wellington, 1 Aukland, 1 Christchurch.

Besides, Hawks supporters are compensated fairly well for their 4 games in Tassie. I'm pretty sure we would get the same.

Disagree, more is more. "4 games" in NZ is cool, and doesn't necessarily mean 4 games in Wellington. Could be 2 Wellington, 1 Aukland, 1 Christchurch.

Spreading the games round NZ would be great, but I'm not sure the idea's a goer. The trouble is that very few of NZ's top sports grounds are the right shape and size for AFL (The stadium in Wellington is the only one that springs to mind). They're usually built for rugby - even cricket can struggle to get a look-in when it comes to design.

Sorry to butt into your forum - I'm not an AFL fan, but did go to a couple of the preseason games they held here in Wellington a decade ago. Interested to see that they've revived the idea. Is it generally reckoned that the AFL's serious about making a push into NZ? Or is it all just kite-flying?

The AFL would be serious about pushing into the NZ market. No doubt. I don't think they would setup a stand alone team any time soon but playing 2-3 games a year there is a must from a business stand point, more so if the local government are on board with support.

I would love to see us play GC and GWS in Wellington each year. GWS on ANZAC Day and GC 2 months later - Just before the bye. It would give us a nice purse as well as setting up a rivalry with the expansion clubs for return games later in the year, which you know the AFL would love to market in NSW/QLD.

Thanks L W P. Gold Coast and GWS? Hmmm. On the plus side, the ex-rugby league players would be easy to market here - they have a much higher profile than any other AFL player. And Hunt's a Kiwi by birth. On the minus side, an 80-point flogging wouldn't exactly showcase the game.

Wellington City Council will stump up some cash, as long as the numbers stack up. They have a fund to attract big events to the CBD. It doesn't matter if it's an AFL match or the tiddlywinks champs - they just want to know that a big crowd will pour into town. A few thousand Aussie fans heading across the Tasman would definitely add to the chance of the game going ahead.

Spreading the games round NZ would be great, but I'm not sure the idea's a goer. The trouble is that very few of NZ's top sports grounds are the right shape and size for AFL (The stadium in Wellington is the only one that springs to mind). They're usually built for rugby - even cricket can struggle to get a look-in when it comes to design.

Sorry to butt into your forum - I'm not an AFL fan, but did go to a couple of the preseason games they held here in Wellington a decade ago. Interested to see that they've revived the idea. Is it generally reckoned that the AFL's serious about making a push into NZ? Or is it all just kite-flying?

Not, a problem, I understand the passion for Rugby. My first love (unfortunately, being Scottish doesn't bring much success).

It was largely a throwaway comment TBH. I'm aware that the biggest and best grounds are all Rectangular, but, there isn't that many cricket grounds surprises me.

In any case, I do like the idea of playing in NZ. While there is a rugby obsession, I know from experience that there will be some blokes who are too light to play at Lock/back row, or blokes who're just a bit soft for backs, who'ld be great targets, as well as spreading it to NZ itself.

While the primary target ATM is QLD/NSW, there have been games here and there in those areas since the late 80s before these 2 new teams, so there is always opportunity for expansion and growth.

On top of that, different time zones are always great when it comes to broadcasters.

A Scottish rugby fan? My commiserations. Andy Irvine and Gavin Hastings would look out of place in the current team - they'd be too good.
Cricket's been the junior partner in stadiums here, but now seems to be striking out with its own facilities. Better-shaped fields, smaller stands appears to be the rule. They're not really AFL arenas, though.
For what it's worth, I reckon plenty of Kiwi blokes would love playing Aussie Rules in the rugby off-season, or to improve their kicking games. The endurance aspect of it would certainly play to a slightly different type of athlete, for sure.
However, I'm not so convinced of the game's spectator appeal here. A match (game? sorry) in Wellington could catch alight. Maybe. With the right mix of promotion and a bit of glitz. Wellington's a party town, and it likes its sport as entertainment.

Sometimes you have to think of the entire competition. Although four games may be lucrative for St Kilda, it would further compromise the draw because St Kilda would probably request only four more interestate trips. The evenness of the fixture actually needs fewer selling of home games, not more.

I think the key point here is over 30,000 Auskick children, which will hopefully keep doubling…thats an extra 30,000 potential members, plus their parents.

A four game package would be attractive at say $40 a pop plus the members perks, thats over $1 million dollars in extra revenue, not including any other payments, sponsorships. There is a 5 million population waiting to be captured. We need to generate more income to sustain ourselves on and off field, especially with free agency coming in.

As long as Fox Show it in HD I am happy for it to happen!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back