Who has been the greatest live act ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

farkin awesome...

People seriously rate Elton singing I'm Still Standing as one of the great live moments? Sheeezz..

Have a look at this then....this is the band I'm talking about.

Elton did his best work when coked off his nut.

Now he's a boring old 'straight' coot...

Best I've seen:

Tool
RATM
Beastie Boys
Fishbone
Michael Franti & Spearhead
Grateful Dead
TISM
Midnight Oil (late 80's)

I wish I'd seen:

Led Zeppelin - their Live DVD is amazing, even later shows when Jimmy Page was barely alive and heroin addicted
Queen - Freddie Mercury is a legend

Best I've seen:

Tool
RATM
Beastie Boys
Fishbone
Michael Franti & Spearhead
Grateful Dead
TISM
Midnight Oil (late 80's)

I wish I'd seen:

Led Zeppelin - their Live DVD is amazing, even later shows when Jimmy Page was barely alive and heroin addicted
Queen - Freddie Mercury is a legend

My English teacher in High School was in that band. Crazy bunch of blokes...

Would have loved to have seen the Beastie Boys live.

People seriously rate Elton singing I'm Still Standing as one of the great live moments? Sheeezz.

Think seeing The Stones singing Gimme Shelter might just have him covered....or Pearl Jam smashing out Rockin in the Free World with Dave Grohl guesting on drums... Anyway just a couple of fine moments etched in my memory. Carry on.

Amen.

Or my favourite...

All right here we go...you want the best live act in the history of rock..here it is..

EDWARD VAN HALEN...seen here with Sammy Hagar playing a classic Zeppelin classic...now thats rocknroll peoples.

And a Van Halen bootleg video from the early 80s..in their prime. Me and a mate sent money overseas at the time to get this on VHS..we waited weeks and weeks. Awesome now I sit on my couch and punch up youtube and get all this amazing footage..FREE!

See that lion logo behind the drums? I've got that tattooed on my arm..yes I am a mad Van Halen fan:thumbsu:

And if you've never seen Cheap trick live..or just plain don't know who they are...watch this and listen to a master guitar player playing with one awesome drummer and bassist.

I've seen em all...but Cheap Trick live was the loudest ####ing gig I've ever heard.

Faith No More are unbelievable too...

And if you've never seen Cheap trick live..or just plain don't know who they are...watch this and listen to a master guitar player playing with one awesome drummer and bassist.

I've seen em all...but Cheap Trick live was the loudest ####ing gig I've ever heard.

Impossible...............You couldn't have seen Motorhead to announce Cheap trick the loudest band.

My ears were bleeding for 2 days thanks to Lemmy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impossible...............You couldn't have seen Motorhead to announce Cheap trick the loudest band.

My ears were bleeding for 2 days thanks to Lemmy.

haha..you've just reminded me of one my favourite concert stories an old mate used to tell me...

He went and saw Motorhead once back in the late 80s and was standing there after about the 3rd song thinking "Jesus Christ this is loud..I don't know if my ears can handle this.."

All of a sudden Lemmy pauses between a song and turns to the band and cries " TOP NOTCH!!!"...and they went up a few more decibels.

My mate was a full on metal head and even he said..." It was just too ####ing loud. My ears hurt for a week after"

The band that ticks most of the boxes for a live act right now would most likely be Muse.
Some complain that the band don't interact with the audience but that's just fine for me. I'd sooner get the music than some oral padding.

This is just from last nights concert a few hours ago.

Yeah doesn't matter...I don't like Pink Floyd any less for it.

haha..you've just reminded me of one my favourite concert stories an old mate used to tell me...
He went and saw Motorhead once back in the late 80s and was standing there after about the 3rd song thinking "Jesus Christ this is loud..I don't know if my ears can handle this.."
All of a sudden Lemmy pauses between a song and turns to the band and cries " TOP NOTCH!!!"...and they went up a few more decibels.
My mate was a full on metal head and even he said..." It was just too ####ing loud. My ears hurt for a week after"

Yep, that's Motorhead for you.

Some bands may just pop the decibel counter higher every now and then, but Motorhead just assaults you from beginning to end.

I was a sucker for punishment as I saw them twice in the same year. :eek:

Didn't Motorhead once boast, "We'll be the last band they'll ever hear"?

Ministry were louder than Motorhead I've seen Motorhead three times and Ministry twice. Ministry are definitely one of the most amazing live shows I've ever seen. It's hard to pull a greatest from the thousands of acts I've seen but Ministry are a top 5.

I reckon The Stooges around 1970 would be the greatest live band the world has ever seen and the Mick Taylor era Stones would have been something special to see.

One of the best shows I've seen, encompassing visual stuff, music and ability to work a crowd has to be Slipknot. Because the band itself is huge (8 members now, since Paul Gray died), they're all doing random shit and Corey Taylor is a great frontman, can work a crowd very very well.

Not in the same league as Zeppelin, Floyd etc, but still a great time live.

Saw Iron Maiden at SW, and was disappointed, would love to punch Bruce Dickinson in the head.

For a lot of fun, and laughs, Steel Panther are good value, and cheap as shit. Slash is good fun if you love watching a great guitarist just doing his thing. Not right at the upper echelon though.

Ministry were louder than Motorhead I've seen Motorhead three times and Ministry twice. Ministry are definitely one of the most amazing live shows I've ever seen. It's hard to pull a greatest from the thousands of acts I've seen but Ministry are a top 5.

I reckon The Stooges around 1970 would be the greatest live band the world has ever seen and the Mick Taylor era Stones would have been something special to see.

I would agree with this. I was front and centre at the BDO when Ministry headlined on their Psalm 69 tour, then saw them the next night at the Palace. The Palace show was amazing and brutal, and so loud that I couldn't hear properly for about 3 days.

I would agree with this. I was front and centre at the BDO when Ministry headlined on their Psalm 69 tour, then saw them the next night at the Palace. The Palace show was amazing and brutal, and so loud that I couldn't hear properly for about 3 days.

I like Ministry, but if they were louder than Motorhead, I'm sort of glad I missed them. Not sure my ears could take any further punishment.

Motorhead and Manowar are the two names that get raised regularly when discussing loudest bands.

I was front and centre at the Sydney BDO and the following night at Selinas - at Selinas you could feel the wall of sound pummel your body.

It will be interesting to see how loud My Bloody Valentine are at ATP next year - reports from overseas are that they have been playing at Ministry level volume.

I like Ministry, but if they were louder than Motorhead, I'm sort of glad I missed them. Not sure my ears could take any further punishment.

Motorhead and Manowar are the two names that get raised regularly when discussing loudest bands.

That's just soft! :D

One of the best shows I've seen, encompassing visual stuff, music and ability to work a crowd has to be Slipknot. Because the band itself is huge (8 members now, since Paul Gray died), they're all doing random shit and Corey Taylor is a great frontman, can work a crowd very very well.

Not in the same league as Zeppelin, Floyd etc, but still a great time live.

Saw Iron Maiden at SW, and was disappointed, would love to punch Bruce Dickinson in the head.

For a lot of fun, and laughs, Steel Panther are good value, and cheap as shit. Slash is good fun if you love watching a great guitarist just doing his thing. Not right at the upper echelon though.

From a visual perspective Slipknot are sensational - I'm not a big fan of their music but they are one of my favourite bands to photograph - I've shot them three times and each time has been killer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back