Mega Thread Best 22/2013 Predictions and all that

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's my round one match ups prediction...

Morris, Griffiths, Chaplin
Betts, Casboult, Hampson
Ellis, Rance, Houli
Garlett, Walker, Armfield
Grigg, Deledio, Newman
Gibbs, Judd, Simpson
S Edwards, Vickery, Martin
Yarran, Henderson, Laidler
King, Riewoldt, McGuane
Tuohy, Jamison, White
Maric, Cotchin, Tuck
Kreuzer, Carrazzo, Murphy

White, Conca, Nahas, Vlastuin (s)
McLean, Robinson, Lucas, Bell (s)

Im thinking Morris and Ellis would be feeling pretty sick right about now if they've seen this !! :D

Based on Waite hardly playing like every other year

Laidler Jamison Duigan
Scotland Henderson Yarran
Simpson Mclean Gibbs
Betts Casboult Carrazzo
Walker Hampson Garlett
Kruezer Murphy Judd

Robinson Lucas Bell Tuohy

Unlucky: Armfield

If Duigan has a rough patch straight out for Army, honestly dont see duigan in the 22 for anything other than his leadership, and could see MM keeping him in there for that

does anyone else still not see simon white in the best 22? he may have been training the house down but i still havent seen anything so far to say he is in the best 22. i would rather get games into watson and utilise his kicking to beat the press, than have white in the team

does anyone else still not see simon white in the best 22? he may have been training the house down but i still havent seen anything so far to say he is in the best 22. i would rather get games into watson and utilise his kicking to beat the press, than have white in the team

I have no doubt that you are not alone in thinking that. Simon is not a guaranteed walk-up start in our best side and as such there would be many who share your line of thinking.

I don't necessarily believe him to be in our 'best 22' but that isn't necessarily important. I do, however, believe he has a significant role to play in 2013 and I do think he'll be in the senior side for round 1.

Simon's main strength is his flexibility - his ability to have an impact on the contest both forward and back - and that would certainly appeal to Malthouse and the rest of the coaching staff. We've seen him play at both ends of the ground throughout the preseason and he has played quite well at times. Assuming he remains fit I have absolutely no doubt that he'll feature quite prominently at senior level.

OK... now that the nab cup is out of the way and the players have had the opportunity to stake their claim what is the best 22 going to look like against Richmond (minus Scotland and Waite)?

For mine the players that are not locked in are:

Duigan - so so this preseason his best game in the nab grand final
White - has played a few roles but hasn't set the world on fire
Lucas - on the strength of the last game should be a lock for round 1
Walker - possibility of omitting him... just to send a clear message
Warnock / Hampson - 1 in 1 out
Rowe - Casboult has the lead on him at the moment
Touhy - probably done enough to earn a spot for round 1
Bell - played well in the 2's, got reported but apparently will get off
Curnow - not getting much game time during nab cup

Players that haven't shown enough:

Joseph - seems to be a depth player now unless back pocket continues to be a problem
Bootsma - didn't show enough, needs time in the 2's
Watson - has drifted out of favour, needs more time in the 2's
Mitchell - needs more time in the 2's
McCarthy - needs more time in the 2's
Davies - seems to be a depth player now

So

XX Jamison Laidler
XX Henderson Yarran

Carrazzo Murphy Simpson
Gibbs Kreuzer McLean

Armfield XX XX
Betts Casboult Garlett

Judd Robinson XX XX

The BIG question who will fill the XX spots for round 1?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

XX Jamison Laidler
XX Henderson Yarran

Carrazzo Murphy Simpson
Gibbs Kreuzer McLean

Armfield XX XX
Betts Casboult Garlett

Judd Robinson XX XX

The BIG question who will fill the XX spots for round 1?

My guess: Tuohy, Duigan, Hampson, Walker, Lucas, White

I'm annoyed that White plays senior football for Carlton. Nothing evident to me that he's an AFL footballer. Duigan is absolutely borderline. Competitiveness and leadership are great and all, but his combination of lack of speed and poor footskills is pretty brutal.

After winning the hit outs last night but getting smashed in the clearances I think Warnock may get a shot in Round 1 instead of Hampson. I know it's only VFl but he was pretty dominant for the Northern Blues. Warnock is our best tap ruck and we can't afford to have Hampson slamming it down the oppositions throat. I think Kreuzer gets a let off here because he offers so much more around the ground. His 1st quarter last night was especially impressive.

After winning the hit outs last night but getting smashed in the clearances I think Warnock may get a shot in Round 1 instead of Hampson. I know it's only VFl but he was pretty dominant for the Northern Blues. Warnock is our best tap ruck and we can't afford to have Hampson slamming it down the oppositions throat. I think Kreuzer gets a let off here because he offers so much more around the ground. His 1st quarter last night was especially impressive.
Think it really just shows that hit outs count for nothing. Kreuzer plays first ruck because he's the best around the ground, Hampson second because he can play well up forward. We need Bell in to add physicality to our midfield and we'll win a lot more clearances.

After the auditions (nab cup) it's still hard to pick a best 22 though some players have gone from maybe best 22 to locks and some have fallen out of favour. This is how I see our best 22 at the moment.

B: Laidler Jamison Duigan
HB: Scotland Henderson Yarran
C: Simpson Judd Gibbs
HF: Walker Casboult Garlett
F: Betts Waite Hampson
OB: Kreuzer Murphy Mclean
IC: Armfield Lucas Robinson Carrazzo

Close: Touhy, White, Ellard, Rowe, Bell, Curnow

Really close between Casboult and Rowe, in fact it's so close I might have that one wrong. Really close between Hampson and Casboult for the second ruck position too. Lots of pressure on Hampson, Rowe and Casboult to perform as I believe they are all competing for a similar position and role in the team. Walker may have to go back and if he does perhaps he replaces Duigan and that would open up a spot for Bell or Menzel.

HB: Lucas Henderson Yarran
HF: Walker Rowe Garlett
F: Betts Casboult White
IC: Armfield Bell Robinson Carrazzo

This would be my preferred round one team with Hampson out because I can't see him as a match winner in the forward line and once the ball bounces off his hands our forward line is suddenly out of the contest which leads to easy rebounds down the corridor. Better off having two med,small and tall forwards that can compete physically on the ground and the air instead of been too top heavy to have any forward pressure or too small to compete in the air. Midfield is strong with a bit of depth but Its not yet complete and I would like to see Yarran get a run through the midfield to use his foot skills to hurt the opposition. Hopefully Bell can develop nicely enough for him to come in as another big body to help maintain physical pressure on opposition teams.

Bell might be needed in order for us to compete with the strong bodies that Hawthorn/Geelong and Adelaide have in the stoppages. I know its unusual to only have one pure ruck playing for us but most teams get by with one and we have the midfield to really hurt teams. Does it really matter how many hits out the opposition win if we are still winning the clearances? Kreuzer will be more then enough against most ruck men in the competition and we have Warnock or Hampson to come in if he needs a rest. They can also come in if the other team has two ruck men playing as well such as WC for match up reasons.

HB: Lucas Henderson Yarran
HF: Walker Rowe Garlett
F: Betts Casboult White
IC: Armfield Bell Robinson Carrazzo

This would be my preferred round one team with Hampson out because I can't see him as a match winner in the forward line and once the ball bounces off his hands our forward line is suddenly out of the contest which leads to easy rebounds down the corridor. Better off having two med,small and tall forwards that can compete physically on the ground and the air instead of been too top heavy to have any forward pressure or too small to compete in the air. Midfield is strong with a bit of depth but Its not yet complete and I would like to see Yarran get a run through the midfield to use his foot skills to hurt the opposition. Hopefully Bell can develop nicely enough for him to come in as another big body to help maintain physical pressure on opposition teams.

Bell might be needed in order for us to compete with the strong bodies that Hawthorn/Geelong and Adelaide have in the stoppages. I know its unusual to only have one pure ruck playing for us but most teams get by with one and we have the midfield to really hurt teams. Does it really matter how many hits out the opposition win if we are still winning the clearances? Kreuzer will be more then enough against most ruck men in the competition and we have Warnock or Hampson to come in if he needs a rest. They can also come in if the other team has two ruck men playing as well such as WC for match up reasons.

Great post, Hampson is an absolute liability as you suggest for that exact reason. He's been on our list for six non performing years. It baffles me why people would want him in our team for round one and amazes me how people think his seventh year will provide any more than his previous six. You give young players up to four possibly five years in extenuating cicumstances to show their stuff. After six years, history is by far the greater guide as to what a player will offer in the future. In his case some flashy stuff here and there but overall will offer SFA to club, teammates and supporters.

Rather Bell in than Lucas. I don't think Lucas offers anything we don't already have, Bell offers a much need physical presence which we were clearly exposed for last season.

30+ possessions when ball use / delivery is very avg means nothing. (Maybe i also just don't like the guys inconsistent nature)

Laidler, Jamo, Scotland
Yarran, Hendo, Armfield
Gibbs, Judd, Simpson
Walker, Waite, Garlett
Betts, Cas, Hampson
Followers: Kreuz, Murph, Carrazzo
I/C: Robinson, McLean, Bell, white (s)

Duigan - same reasons as Lucas, inconsistent.

When Waite isn't fit i'd have Rowe in, he gives 100% and causes damage, rucks well, marks well, can kick etc etc.

Rather Bell in than Lucas. I don't think Lucas offers anything we don't already have, Bell offers a much need physical presence which we were clearly exposed for last season.

30+ possessions when ball use / delivery is very avg means nothing. (Maybe i also just don't like the guys inconsistent nature)

I was unsure about Lucas, and again when I was watching, a couple of glaring errors confirmed my doubt. But I looked deeper. 34 disposals, 12 contested possessions, 6 marks, 6 clearances, 4 inside 50s, 4 clangers. It is the clangers that everybody sees. His disposal efficiency was 76.5% though. Bryce Gibbs would regularly rack up that many clangers in some of his better games across half back.

What Lucas is offering that nobody but Curnow offers is getting to the fall of the ball. The difference being that Curnow gets there to make a contest, Lucas gets there first as he is quick. Sure, he doesn't always take the right option, but I'd rather him get there than not. Try to ignore the glaring clangers when evaluating his game. He is there for the loose ball and he is working hard to provide a get out option when we are under pressure. The fact that we see him so much in defence while he gets 4 inside 50s in attack, is a credit to his workrate. Finding the ball is the big thing, the rest will come. It's not so much his disposal as his misreading of where teammates are running that is the problem.

If we dump him now, then we come close to destroying his career at Carlton. I think this kid could be one of our best midfielders. Sure, drop him if he gets 12 uncontested possessions and 50% disposal efficiency for a couple of games. That offers nothing to the team. Don't drop him on the back of 34 disposals with 12 of them contested. He's tracking well.

Great post, Hampson is an absolute liability as you suggest for that exact reason. He's been on our list for six non performing years. It baffles me why people would want him in our team for round one and amazes me how people think his seventh year will provide any more than his previous six. You give young players up to four possibly five years in extenuating cicumstances to show their stuff. After six years, history is by far the greater guide as to what a player will offer in the future. In his case some flashy stuff here and there but overall will offer SFA to club, teammates and supporters.
A couple of thoughts come straight up when I read this. 1) big men take longer to progress in this game. 2) Hampson did not play AFL as a junior.
Now I can see that your point about his marking however IMO he is still developing as a forward. Lets give him a season under Mick before we sakc him.

A couple of thoughts come straight up when I read this. 1) big men take longer to progress in this game. 2) Hampson did not play AFL as a junior.
Now I can see that your point about his marking however IMO he is still developing as a forward. Lets give him a season under Mick before we sakc him.

I have no choice re this season. Re point 1 yep he's big but 7 yrs is long enough hogging a spot for very little return, too long when you look at the facts. Re point 2 I couldn't care less what he did when he was a junior, when he joined our list time starts ticking, his time is up. Give us a return on our investment or ship off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back