Boston Marathon Explosions

Remove this Banner Ad

150488_507815732611638_918649529_n.jpg

Seen this doing the rounds..

1 like=1 respect
1 share=1 prayer

Tragedy? History is written through the eyes of a White man. There is no denying this.

What happened in Boston is terrible. No denying this also. What I have a problem with is people look the other way when such incidents happen to a third world country. In Iraq, over 50 people died in a blast. In Somalia, over 20 people died in a bomb. Mothers left childless, children left motherless.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of the unfortunate in Boston, however, society needs some ******* perspective.

Tragedy? History is written through the eyes of a White man. There is no denying this.

What happened in Boston is terrible. No denying this also. What I have a problem with is people look the other way when such incidents happen to a third world country. In Iraq, over 50 people died in a blast. In Somalia, over 20 people died in a bomb. Mothers left childless, children left motherless.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of the unfortunate in Boston, however, society needs some ******* perspective.
I hope you aren't suggesting it was race related...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if they were middle class Caucasians?
You've completely misunderstood me, Q.

I have said I hope that the bomber(s) are not revealed to be Iranians because I could just see that being used as a pretext for a war with Iran.

At the very least, it would heighten support for such a war amongst many in the American populace (and here, too, I would argue).

Of course, my comment was merely a throwaway line (as, all things being equal, the chances of the bomber(s) actually being Iranian are slim) with what I thought was an obvious connotation.

I'd be more than happy if it turned out to have been a middle class Caucasian. Preferably a mentally-disturbed ex-serviceman who got messed up in his tours of Iraq and/or Afghanistan. It might bring some attention to the mental health crisis those wars have wrought amongst the defence forces of the belligerent nations (including Australia).

You've completely misunderstood me, Q.

I have said I hope that the bomber(s) are not revealed to be Iranians because I could just see that being used as a pretext for a war with Iran.

At the very least, it would heighten support for such a war amongst many in the American populace (and here, too, I would argue).

Of course, my comment was merely a throwaway line (as, all things being equal, the chances of the bomber(s) actually being Iranian are slim) with what I thought was an obvious connotation.

I'd be more than happy if it turned out to have been a middle class Caucasian. Preferably a mentally-disturbed ex-serviceman who got messed up in his tours of Iraq and/or Afghanistan. It might bring some attention to mental health crisis those wars have wrought amongst the defence forces of the belligerent nations (including Australia).
My apologies.

Shitty day and all that. Peace in the middl...eh...carry on.

It's not a matter of perspective. It's a matter of emotional connection. Things move you the more that you are able to relate to them. Australians relate more to a bunch of Americans attending a sporting event than they do to a bunch of Iraqis living in a warzone. Culturally, situationally, whatever.

It's nothing to be ashamed of because it is a perfectly normal human response. There is too much suffering in this world to care about it all, so your brain narrows it down to the stuff that is most relevant to you. I am sure that people in war-torn areas of the Middle East care a lot more about the deaths in Iraq than they do about this event, for identical reasons.

Just because you have a bigger emotional response to some deaths than others doesn't mean that you value those lives over the others. You sound like you regard all human life as equal, but I bet you'll be more upset when your dad dies than when I do.

The idea that people dying being common delegitimises any grief that someone feels unless it is extended to all similar circumstances is ******* stupid. We're emotional creatures, and emotion and reason are different things.

It's not a matter of perspective. It's a matter of emotional connection. Things move you the more that you are able to relate to them. Australians relate more to a bunch of Americans attending a sporting event than they do to a bunch of Iraqis living in a warzone. Culturally, situationally, whatever.
Fair enough. Respect and understand that.

It's nothing to be ashamed of because it is a perfectly normal human response. There is too much suffering in this world to care about it all, so your brain narrows it down to the stuff that is most relevant to you. I am sure that people in war-torn areas of the Middle East care a lot more about the deaths in Iraq than they do about this event, for identical reasons.
Correct me if I'm wrong Caesar, because I am a lot of the time.

Australians care more about the Boston tragedy because Americans are Caucasian and speak English?

Because that is exactly what I read it as.

Just because you have a bigger emotional response to some deaths than others doesn't mean that you value those lives over the others
What does it mean then? It's obvious to me.

You sound like you regard all human life as equal, but I bet you'll be more upset when your dad dies than when I do.
Of course, but I was talking about strangers.

Plus I don't even know my Dad. Could be you for all I know.

The idea that people dying being common delegitimises any grief that someone feels unless it is extended to all similar circumstances is ******* stupid. We're emotional creatures, and emotion and reason are different things.
I have met a fair few (not uncommon) people who blatantly regard the lives of Western people over everybody like it's some badge of honour.

Grieve for whoever the * you want. Respect. Blatantly regard situations in Iraq and Somalia as irrelevant and I'll tell you.

Anyway, it's getting late and my blunts waiting for me with my girl. Translation? I'm going to find a half-smoked, soggy cigarette somehow on some street and have an all night pr0n session.

Its a democracy, if both "sides" of government are pro-war, and they are, then the civilians have a right/duty to express their displeasure by voting for a third party.

I feel for the yank civilians who understand how screwed their country is. How their democracy is just a front for multinationals, how far they've fallen, how hard it is to run a protest without being bashed/killed my the jacks... but the reality is the ultimate responsibility lies with the people.

Their country kills civilians every day, deliberately targets them in fact. So forgive me if i dont care that a couple of fitness freaks got killed, its "collateral damage" according to the US government.

It's not their fault the US bomb civillians overseas. Why can't civilians being unneccessarily bombed in any country be shocking?

Australians care more about the Boston tragedy because Americans are Caucasian and speak English?

Because that is exactly what I read it as.
Overly simplistic. I don't think people would suddenly care less if the victims were black Americans, or they were Italians who don't speak English.

The point is that Americans (along with Europeans, British, New Zealanders, etc.) all come from that affluent/developed Western capitalist culture that we are familiar with. Their lives are more similar to ours than people living in Middle Eastern warzones, or famine-stricken nations on the Horn of Africa. We understand what it is like to go to a sporting event like this. We can easily imagine the terror of living in a safe, affluent city that suddenly gets ripped apart by a bomb when you least expect it.

It's not just with other humans. Why do you think people get so incredibly upset at people mistreating dogs and cats, but are a lot less passionate about the fate of lab rats? Dogs and cats hit closer to home.

What does it mean then? It's obvious to me.
It means it resonates with you emotionally. No more, no less.

Of course, but I was talking about strangers.
Same principle. The more something affects or relates to you personally, the greater your emotional response.

Human beings are able to operate on both emotional and intellectual levels. I can have a greater emotional investment in my family without it rendering invalid my intellectual belief that all human beings are equal.

Anyone who says that their emotional reactions always neatly align with their intellectual positions on everything is lying.

I have met a fair few (not uncommon) people who blatantly regard the lives of Western people over everybody like it's some badge of honour.
Sure, but nobody in this thread has said that. You're just assuming the correlation.

Grieve for whoever the **** you want. Respect. Blatantly regard situations in Iraq and Somalia as irrelevant and I'll tell you.
Like I said, emotionally responding to one situation but not another =/= not caring about the latter.

When you get upset that people are more emotional over this bombing than one in Somalia, you are getting upset with the fact that Australians can relate better to a bunch of people from Boston than a bunch of people from Mogadishu. It's fairly pointless because that's just the nature of reality.

Better to just accept that emotions aren't rational. There's no shame in it.

It's not their fault the US bomb civillians overseas. Why can't civilians being unneccessarily bombed in any country be shocking?

Because it happens all the time, every day. That's why it isn't shocking.

As I said, the only shocking thing to me, is that it doesn't happen more often in the USA.

For the record I wasn't "shocked" by Kony 2012 either. But thats because I actually know a bunch of s**t about the world cause I pay attention.

I bet a bunch of the lovejoys in this thread were right into Kony though, then posted about it on facebook for a week before forgetting about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back