List Mgmt. Trade: Geelong trades Trent West to Brisbane for National Draft 3rd Round selection

Remove this Banner Ad

It now looks like St Kilda will take Jolly instead as they get him for free.

Hoping West finds another home as I don't really want to see him battling away in the VFL all next season.

I don't think it is a bad thing to have West as back-up. I think we need to assume that Mcintosh is not going to play, in which case we need someone to back up Simpson, Blicavs and Vardy, who could potentially all play in the same team.

He might play 5-6 games and work with a young draftee or rookie listed ruck in the VFL.

From speaking with people who know West, he does not see himself playing AFL football for another 3-5 years. He may not mind another 12 months at Geelong and move onto something else with his life.

From speaking with people who know West, he does not see himself playing AFL football for another 3-5 years. He may not mind another 12 months at Geelong and move onto something else with his life.

Not to sound like a prick, but I don't fee so bad now that he's not getting a game. He will enter his 30's with a bucketload of cash, a premiership medal and probably degree/decent job by the sounds of it.

I don't think it is a bad thing to have West as back-up. I think we need to assume that Mcintosh is not going to play, in which case we need someone to back up Simpson, Blicavs and Vardy, who could potentially all play in the same team.

He might play 5-6 games and work with a young draftee or rookie listed ruck in the VFL.

I don't see him playing another 1 year. If you don't get picked it's pretty hard to play. I guess he gets well paid to play VFL and keep himself in great shape. Could think of tougher jobs that's for sure.

Only reason I don't think it's good to have him as a backup is he's not going to get a game unless every other ruckman is injured. Probably not even then.

Guys - if you want us to have 3 ND picks this year (and we need 3 if we want to transition and get youth in the team) then we need Blicavs to stay a rookie (may or may not happen) and one more spot to open up on the senior list. So I reckon it is West that will be traded but if he is not then maybe Burbury gets delisted.

God knows what happens if West stays and Blicavs gets upgraded - then we have to get rid of two young players - like Cowan, Schroder or McCarthy.

So as loyal as West has been - we really cannot afford him on the senior list.

Blitz was running around with a broken hand I think I read on this board.

He was still immune from criticism way before knowledge of that injury was made.

Either way, not sure it matters. He's gone past West apparently, so accordingly, he should be granted as much latitude. That is to say - absolutely none at all. Besides which it wasn't West who cost us 2 goals in a Prelim final we lost by 5 points.

Guys - if you want us to have 3 ND picks this year (and we need 3 if we want to transition and get youth in the team) then we need Blicavs to stay a rookie (may or may not happen) and one more spot to open up on the senior list. So I reckon it is West that will be traded but if he is not then maybe Burbury gets delisted.

God knows what happens if West stays and Blicavs gets upgraded - then we have to get rid of two young players - like Cowan, Schroder or McCarthy.

So as loyal as West has been - we really cannot afford him on the senior list.

Agreed. They won't play him, so I can't imagine what benefit there can possibly be to keeping him.

Struggle to see how a side like Richmond couldn't use West as a backup. Perfect age and very durable.

Agreed. They won't play him, so I can't imagine what benefit there can possibly be to keeping him.

Struggle to see how a side like Richmond couldn't use West as a backup. Perfect age and very durable.

I struggle to understand why they traded pick 28 for that massive spud Hampson.
Dima got a case of the Ploughs..

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...=10&pid2=3748&type=A&fid1=P&fopt1=2012&fid2=S

I'd still pick Blicavs over West though. West wins many more hitout's and Blicavs usually gets beaten but manages to obtain the ball on the ground getting the centre square clearance.

You have to take into account the experience of the two players as one is already developed and played quite a few years while the other played his first ever season.
Not sure I understand the logic given Partridge was also talking about the prelim.

Vardy hasn't shown much in the ruck this time in. Blicavs certainly hasn't. And West was going very well in the reserves. I was expecting West to get the nod given our deficiencies there. If Geelong was playing/selecting for the future in the finals, then I fear for Geelong's future.

I don't see him playing another 1 year. If you don't get picked it's pretty hard to play. I guess he gets well paid to play VFL and keep himself in great shape. Could think of tougher jobs that's for sure.

Only reason I don't think it's good to have him as a backup is he's not going to get a game unless every other ruckman is injured. Probably not even then.

If you get displaced from the side by a second string ruck and a guy who basically learned how to play the game and the ruck position in front of our eyes, I imagine you'd feel like you don't have much of a chance in the AFL.

I'm still of the opinion that West should've been played once Simpson went down. Why we continued to persist with the sentimental favourite in Blitz, especially with an injury, baffles me a bit.

If you get displaced from the side by a second string ruck and a guy who basically learned how to play the game and the ruck position in front of our eyes, I imagine you'd feel like you don't have much of a chance in the AFL.

I'm still of the opinion that West should've been played once Simpson went down. Why we continued to persist with the sentimental favourite in Blitz, especially with an injury, baffles me a bit.

Same here. Home and away is one thing, especially once we had the double chance locked up, but to knowingly play your weakest possible ruck combination in a final, watch that combination get horrifically slaughtered, and then still make no change, I just have no answer for. Especially as two weeks' later in the Prelim it was again a major handicap. Just shows all footy clubs and all coaches have their favourites.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...=10&pid2=3748&type=A&fid1=P&fopt1=2012&fid2=S

I'd still pick Blicavs over West though. West wins many more hitout's and Blicavs usually gets beaten but manages to obtain the ball on the ground getting the centre square clearance.

You have to take into account the experience of the two players as one is already developed and played quite a few years while the other played his first ever season.

Nup, sorry. No way. West gets slaughtered on here no matter what occurs and never has any excuses made for him - even though on performance he is still a far, far better ruckman than Blicavs. Accordingly Blicavs as far as I'm concerned gets no excuses either. If he's playing as a ruckman in a final - which he apparently did this year - he gets rated as a ruckman. And against Fremantle and Hawthorn especially he was absolutely appalling.

So what do we think we could get for West if St Kilda did indeed want him?

IMO, a good scenario would be West and our 2nd rounder for one of their picks around 20. Only a 8-10 pick upgrade but could net us Tsitas or a first round slider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Nup, sorry. No way. West gets slaughtered on here no matter what occurs and never has any excuses made for him - even though on performance he is still a far, far better ruckman than Blicavs. Accordingly Blicavs as far as I'm concerned gets no excuses either. If he's playing as a ruckman in a final - which he apparently did this year - he gets rated as a ruckman. And against Fremantle and Hawthorn especially he was absolutely appalling.

a far far far better ruckman then blicavs

I think we kept hoping he would repeat some of his early form and get 15 or so possessions , kick a goal or two , link up through the middle with handball and scrap for the footy like a midfielder. Reality was that he , like all 1st years in the Seniors , got tired - and carried a injury and lost effectiveness. He should have gone back to the VFL and been given a huge , huge pass mark for 2013.

I agree we erred by not playing West late in the season , but let's not take anything away from Blicavs who exceeded all expectations admirably.
West must now look elsewhere surely ? Has he asked to be traded?

And if it's true they played him with an injured hand, then that is an even worse onus on the mc. They pretty much have cost us a chance at a premiership.

Bitz isn't even a ruck, he's pinch hitter, no different then playing Walker in that role.

Sydney and the Saint both keen now apparently..

I was surprised it has taken this long for the Swans to be mentioned as potential suitor for West since Mumford agreed to terms with GWS. Their ruck stocks are Pyke who is 29, and Naismith who is 21 & yet to play a game. Tippet can play in the ruck, but surely they don't want to risk a situation where Pyke goes down for a few weeks and they have to rely on Tippet.

Maybe try to work out some package deal that involves West to the Swans and Smith to the Cats - would be nice

Remove this Banner Ad

Back