Movie What's the last movie you saw? (4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Philomena

I
was expecting more of an emotional journey than this ended up delivering - yes it is sad & tragic in many ways but maybe the makers deliberately avoided becoming overly sentimental & just focused on delivering the story, which was fine with me.

Good performances as expected - was all of the dialogue between our two main characters necessary or believable? Perhaps not.

Enjoyable without being especially memorable.
6.5/10

300 rise of an empire

well i havent seen it, but will in an hour.

(please dont ban me mods)

ok. took it for what it is, the second movie of the 300 saga. enjoyable MTV inspired violence. death to many.

eva green brings sexy and evil to the screen in abundance. the negotiation scene with the main hero character (played by Sullivan Stapleton of neighbours, MDA, sea patrol and an episode of underbelly, and brother of jacinta stapleton also of neighbours fame) makes me wish i could discuss terms in such a manner.

the movie explains how 300 villain (or misunderstood patriot depending on who you speak to) xerxes came to being. his accession from man to god man. it intertwines with the 300 movie, recapping yet traversing time to run concurrently with brave leonidis siege/defence in the original film. sometimes confusingly.

but what is clear is the differentiation between the spartan army and that of the current crop. while the 300 strong team were introduced as land warriors, this mob battle on Poseidons ocean home.

entertaining with story telling interrupting gore, battles and nudity.

7/10.

PS: it was pleasing to see an equal ratio of male:females in the cinema.

Saw 300 sequel a few weeks ago and thought it was terrible. Eva green is not attractive for me. 2.5/5.

Nonstop - you know what you are gonna get with a Liam Neeson film and it was enjoyable enough. 3/5

Basketball Diaries - my mate raved about this and I haven't seen the old Leo stuff. Thought it was pretty solid with some good acting from young Leo and Marky Mark. 3/5

Mistaken For Strangers - documentary about the National and the relationship between Matt Berninger and his less successful brother who films this . Really worthwhile film if you are a fan but a great doco even if you have never heard of them. 4.5/5

Welcome to the jungle - terrible. JCVD and Adam Brody star. 1/5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Delivery Man - Vince Vaughn, Chris Pratt, Cobie Smulders. Vaughn plays a delivery man who finds out that he fathered 533 children, courtesy of his frequent sperm bank deposits.

It's been described as a comedy-drama, but it's more on the drama side than anything else. And the drama is tame at best. A couple of funny moments in an otherwise pretty nothing film.
Yep, for me the movie is a romantic-drama film, and as per other rom/drama films, there is like 3 jokes cracked that actually make you laugh. Would not classify this film as a comedy, in any form. Decent movie but not something I would watch twice!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw 12 months a slave last night. I was worried that it may just purely be an Oscar bait type film and lack substance. Those fears were put to rest.

Great film and while Zimmer's score felt familiar, I still found it spine tingling.

9/10

Yep, Alien is probably my favourite as well. Although Alien 3 is a ripper. Agree on Alien Resurrection, although it doesn't deserve to be panned the way it often is. I always thought the underwater scene was awesome.

Also agree on Weaver. Apparently she was the last actor to be cast for the film, and she is simply outstanding. (Following on from your comment, the American Film Institute ranked her the eighth-greatest hero in American cinema.)

There is some interesting reading here:

http://www.vulture.com/2012/06/44-t...know-about-the-alien-films.html#photo=1x00002

Was never a huge fan of Alien3 though it added some nice new ideas, it sounds like it was just never given the time pre-production to actually be ready for filming. I watched a lot of it last night and it's aging worse than the first two though I suppose a lot of the movies with early cgi effects are. Same for Resurrection, parts I really liked and kudos to them for changing the style again with Jean-Pierre Jeunet but by that stage they're just trying too hard to keep the movies focused on Ripley.

Hard to think of an actor with more Sci-Fi cred than Sigourney Weaver with major parts in three of the biggest franchises; Aliens, Ghostbusters, Avatar........ and of course Galaxy Quest.

Airplane 1980

I miss comedy like this, A lot of recently deceased actors star in the movie, There weren't too many dull moments in the movie, perhaps a few jokes reused too many times, If you're looking for a good laugh, don't be fooled by the date of the movie, it puts a lot of modern day comedy films to shame

80/100

Cold Comes The Night - Bryan Cranston recreating his role as Heisenberg in a full length feature film. I know what you're thinking. "heck yeeaaaahhh! Where do I sign?" right? What if I told you he was blind? Thats not too abnormal. Plenty of people have played blind in cinema. What if I told you he was Russian, complete with broken English and Polski accent? Sound strange? It was. It was also total s**t. Full credit to Alice Lee. She did a good job. As did Cranston in reality. He performed adequately as a blind Russian mobster trying to find stolen money. Not his fault the source material was complete and utter shite. I just hope Sir Anthony Hopkins doesnt see this film. He'd be retracting his letter. 2/10

Last edited:
300 - RISE OF AN EMPIRE
Enjoyed it
Solid 7

Dat soundtrack :eek:
Eva Greens chesticles :eek::eek:

whilst her figure was enjoyable to the eye, i admit during the flashback of the fall of athens (or another city) (early scenes) two baddies were dragging a shapely figure to her death. her bosom was ample.

whilst her figure was enjoyable to the eye, i admit during the flashback of the fall of athens (or another city) (early scenes) two baddies were dragging a shapely figure to her death. her bosom was ample.

Did notice

Some good points you make regarding Alien 3. Apparently when Alien 3 was sent to the director (David Fincher - later directed Fight Club, Se7en & Girl with the Dragon Tattoo among others; Alien 3 was his first feature) the script wasn't complete. Then, again I am not 100 per cent sure, but after he had finished filming, the studio went ahead and reassembled the whole thing. I like what they attempted to do with it, however. And on a more superficial note, Sigourney with a shaved head = bad ass.

Kudos for giving a shout-out to Galaxy Quest. It's a funny little under-appreciated movie.

(According to Wikipedia, Fincher said to The Guardian about Alien 3: "No one hated it more than me; to this day, no one hates it more than me.")

To me, David Fincher comes out of Alien 3 looking really good, it would be very harsh to single him out for criticism. Hard to fault his effort, especially given he was a new feature director under the reins of producers, and he came late-ish into the production. He definitely elevated a troubled production. It's a shame he completely turned his back on the film, but I can see why he would have.

If you are familiar with Vincent Ward's earlier films like Vigil and The Navigator, Alien 3 definitely has that steam punk-like vision, it's almost like a loose trilogy. I think Hill & Giler tried their best to produce the Alien 3 we got, as Ward's Alien 3 would not have worked, and he wouldnt be the right choice for the alien franchise, too artistically dogmatic and individualist. Ward, big budgets and studios are a recipe for disaster.

There is more potential in there, and the film went into production a little bit blind, but I think Hill & Giler were wise to blend together several pre-production ideas, and Fincher was a masterstroke choice. Alien 3 has one of my favourite sci-fi worlds, along with Alien, it's really the secret to the success of both films.

Saw 300 sequel a few weeks ago and thought it was terrible. Eva green is not attractive for me. 2.5/5.

Nonstop - you know what you are gonna get with a Liam Neeson film and it was enjoyable enough. 3/5

Basketball Diaries - my mate raved about this and I haven't seen the old Leo stuff. Thought it was pretty solid with some good acting from young Leo and Marky Mark. 3/5

Mistaken For Strangers - documentary about the National and the relationship between Matt Berninger and his less successful brother who films this . Really worthwhile film if you are a fan but a great doco even if you have never heard of them. 4.5/5

Welcome to the jungle - terrible. JCVD and Adam Brody star. 1/5

Where'd you get Mistaken for Strangers?

Where'd you get Mistaken for Strangers?

When the National came to Perth, they had a special screening with a Q and A with Matt Berninger after the film. Was absolutely awesome too and he's just gotten back from rottnest island all sunburnt and on his birthday too!

Dallas Buyers Club, The Wrestler and 12 Years a Slave.

Saw all these over the long weekend. All :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

DBC- How did Jennifer Garner get a role in that? She's pretty hopeless.
Wrestler- caught that last night on one. Barely heard anything about it, but really enjoyed it.
12 Years- Found several scenes in that hard to watch. So realistically brutal.

All Is Lost - small budget film which managed to get Robert Redford for the role. A survival movie with minimum dialogue. 7/10.

Just a couple of things;
The lack of epirb/gps was a little distracting. Although, apparently it was all destroyed in the collision with the container.

I'm with the theory that he wasn't actually rescued, it was merely an hallucination. And that works in with the theme introduced the very beginning that "all is lost". Not wanting him to die, but I do like an ending that's not all Hollywood & happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back