Who will be our best-performed midfielder in 2014?

Who will be our best-performed midfielder in 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Matt Priddis to go back to back to back to back as John Worsfold medalist and then retire, not because he's done, but because he thinks someone else should have a chance.

Luke Shuey I believe has the best skill-set to become our 'best-performed' midfielder.

His ability to get the contested ball and use it well, as well as his ability to break the lines and set up a shot on goal, or have one himself is unmatched by our other mids.

Others excel in different areas, but I believe Shuey to be the better whole package. His biggest weakness is not anything to do with ability in a sense, it's being effective despite a tag. I envisage that with a new game style and improvement throughout the midfield that we'll see a better Shuey.

Selwood really needs to return to being a tackle king first and foremost. He is so damaging when he negates the opposing teams best player and then runs off and gets his own possessions. His 2011 reminded me of what Kirk and K Cornes used to do.

However I voted Shuey. I believe the time is now for him to burst on the scene with more breakaways from packs and turning those awesome points that he had a habit of kicking last year into goals. Fingers crossed he can do what Ablett did around '07.

A bit harsh, he has played some excellent football over his career. Both offensively and defensively. Putting it all together has been his weakness so far.
Harsh but fair, in my opinion. If he can return to his best defensively, then that is a vital cog taken care of. Let's leave the attacking stuff to those blessed with better skillllzzzzzzz.

Harsh but fair, in my opinion. If he can return to his best defensively, then that is a vital cog taken care of. Let's leave the attacking stuff to those blessed with better skillllzzzzzzz.

Fair enough. But he was our best mid in the first half of 2012 when we were a more than fair side. But as you say, preferably our more 'offensively blessed' will step up this season.

Selwood really needs to return to being a tackle king first and foremost. He is so damaging when he negates the opposing teams best player and then runs off and gets his own possessions. His 2011 reminded me of what Kirk and K Cornes used to do.

However I voted Shuey. I believe the time is now for him to burst on the scene with more breakaways from packs and turning those awesome points that he had a habit of kicking last year into goals. Fingers crossed he can do what Ablett did around '07.
It's weird because our midfield was good enough to win a flag 12 months ago. Right?

But sure, let's our 'cross our fingers' that Shuey can become the best player in the competition. Another shot of clear-eyed realism from you.

Last edited:
It's weird because our midfield was good enough to win a flag 12 months ago. Right?

That was always a bit of an empty statement, given the right conditions any midfield could win a flag. But our midfield is more likely to get us closer to winning a flag when Selwood is playing a defensive role IMO, and most of us feel Shuey hasn't hit his ceiling yet. Not really sure how what you posted related to the post you quoted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Scott Selwood circa 2011 for me please.

If Naita and Shuey can stay on the park together the rest will take care of itself.
Better quality/gameplan around Shuey will help with the tag.

Priddis as the extractor scooter as the defensive mid. And a nice even spread from gaff shuey masto and Wellers

That was always a bit of an empty statement, given the right conditions any midfield could win a flag.
Not really.

Are you saying there is no such thing as a midfield that simply isn't good enough?

Not really sure how what you posted related to the post you quoted.
It's a mystery. See if you can solve it.

Last edited:
Selwood and Priddis probably share the chocolates in round 1.

Lecca spent a bit of time onball - so it depends what you consider midfield

Hawthorn had only two full time mids last year (Sewell and smith) - I liked seeing Lecca bang through a goal and be in the guts for the next bounce

Still going with Luke Shuey, 14 touches, 4 clearances,4 inside 50's and 2 ripper goals from only 59% game time. He's just so damaging if he get's the ball in space.

Scott Selwood impressed me today though.

Still going with Luke Shuey, 14 touches, 4 clearances,4 inside 50's and 2 ripper goals from only 59% game time. He's just so damaging if he get's the ball in space.

Scott Selwood impressed me today though.
If Shuey was a little more 'high volume' he'd be a shot. He's a goal kicker and can run and carry. But it seems like there are long patches where he's unsighted. He bobs up in the third quarter today and does a couple of great things - I had almost forgotten he was out there.

Selwood, on the other hand, seems to be at the coal face 24/7. Like Priddis but not as limited. Consider that Selwood probably also had a run with/tagging job. It's not like we have anyone else doing that designated negating job.

It will be interesting to see how far we can go without a genuine elite midfielder. Assuming that remains the case, we're going to have to play a pretty disciplined, hard-working style of pressure footy. That's where Selwood sets the standard.

Last edited:
Back