Injury SJOGHCIU - Will the curse be lifted in 2024? LOL, not a chance. Rinse and repeat

Remove this Banner Ad

Official injury list (6) released 23/4

Long Term (1) :
• R15 Elijah Hewett (Foot) - Post Bye (No change)

Medium Term (4) :
• R13 Cal Jamieson (Hamstring) - 6 weeks (Was TBC)
• R12-14 Oscar Allen (Knee) - 5-7 weeks (Was 6-8 weeks)
• R11-13 Rhett Bazzo (Groin) - 4-6 weeks (Was 5-6 weeks)
• R11-12 Matt Flynn (Knee) - 4-5 weeks (No change)

Short Term (0) :

Test (1) :
• R7 Luke Edwards (Concussion) - 1 week (Was 1 week)

With Luke Edwards set to pass his concussion protocols we’re effectively down to 5 on the injury list.

That’s the good news

The not so good news is none of those 5 are expected back until R11 at the earliest with all of Jamieson, Allen, Bazzo and Flynn racing to be ready before the bye. Hewett is still post the R14 bye

Nothing said about Bazzo in this weeks report but his timeline came down a week, as did Allen’s. Flynn however remained unchanged on 4-5 weeks

Talk in the media that Reid might be rested but no mention of that in the report

Barrass also set to miss a week through suspension

Remember when people were putting Jamo as an in last week?

That was before any knew he had tendinopathy in his hammy as he was only listed as an out with hamstring soreness the week before

Some thought it might have only been an awareness issue like Luke Edwards had that didn’t prevent him from playing the following week

Hence, people thinking Jamieson may have been able to play as the extent of the issue hadn’t been revealed

With Luke Edwards set to pass his concussion protocols we’re effectively down to 5 on the injury list.

That’s the good news

The not so good news is none of those 5 are expected back until R11 at the earliest with all of Jamieson, Allen, Bazzo and Flynn racing to be ready before the bye. Hewett is still post the R14 bye

Nothing said about Bazzo in this weeks report but his timeline came down a week, as did Allen’s. Flynn however remained unchanged on 4-5 weeks

Talk in the media that Reid might be rested but no mention of that in the report

Barrass also set to miss a week through suspension
So while we're in a pretty good position now with 37-39 (pending Barrass & Reid) out of 44 players available, this is about as good as it'll get before Round 11.

Any injuries we cop in the next month won't be offset by players returning from injury so we might start to see the unavailable players list increase before we get Flynn/Bazzo/Allen/Jamieson back.

Probably unrealistic to hope that we won't get any injuries in the coming weeks, but we've had a pretty clean bill of health for a few weeks now, so hopefully our players are building some durability and we can get through this next period without any major concerns.

I might be over cautious with this due to the heighten awareness of certain AFL policies, however, is there anything suspicious about the Jamo injury?

• Was a late out with 'hamstring awareness'.
  • Has already missed two weeks.
  • Is listed as being out for another six weeks at a minimum. It is also listed as a flat six, not a 'five-six' or 'six-seven' that they usually run with to allow some extra leeway.
1713910008255.png

Yet in the injury update video uploaded yesterday afternoon, he is seen running, marking and kicking in the new Anzac day jersey, which rules out old footage, that can often be used in these videos.

1713909334600.png

If we use Flynn for example, who also had an extensive layoff with a hamstring injury, Matt only just re-joined training yesterday and is currently listed as four-five weeks away.

I sincerely hope I am way off the money here and this is just another hammy.

I might be over cautious with this due to the heighten awareness of certain AFL policies, however, is there anything suspicious about the Jamo injury?

By Jove, we might just be witnessing our first ever case of awareness awareness.

• Is listed as being out for another six weeks at a minimum. It is also listed as a flat six, not a 'five-six' or 'six-seven' that they usually run with to allow some extra leeway.
View attachment 1968850

Yet in the injury update video uploaded yesterday afternoon, he is seen running, marking and kicking in the new Anzac day jersey, which rules out old footage, that can often be used in these videos.

View attachment 1968842

If we use Flynn for example, who also had an extensive layoff with a hamstring injury, Matt only just re-joined training yesterday and is currently listed as four-five weeks away.

He doesn't have a tear as such but pain around the hammie so he would still be able to do some form of training.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1968850

View attachment 1968842

Adam Simpson mentioned last week that he had hamstring tendinopathy. I’m far from an expert in this area but this doesn’t sound like the usual sort of hamstring strain, but maybe something that requires a different form of management.

Yeah my understanding is that tendonitis needs decreased loading with strengthening exercises and reduction in pain/inflammation before gradual increase of loading. Hence the blown out time frame.

wasn't jamo being put through a load of weird exercises during preseason? obviously has some issues/imbalances that can hopefully be sorted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back