Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

10152389_10203474195444493_1334997567_n.jpg
1509902_10203474195764501_1475680035_n.jpg
1911691_10203474195924505_759799512_n.jpg

Has anyone else noticed that The Advertiser keeps reporting that AO has been "reshaped into a long narrow ground"?
Really annoying me.
Sure there's been some reshaping done, but some of that actually made the ground slightly wider ("ovalisation" during the Western Stand redevelopment).
The ground has been long and narrow for over a century!

Anyone know why the access aisles to the top of the Southern and Eastern stands are directly behind the stairwells but in the Western stand they are offset?

I thought this was being rectified a while back when there were some changes being made to the Western stand seating but apparently not. If you were seated in the rows where people are filing past you all day you might go home with a sore neck.

after last weeks threat by transport unions to strike this weekend , I wonder why ?

Where did the unions say they were going to strike on Saturday? Yes, The Advertiser made up a story about it last week, where (funnily enough) there was no reference to strike action, but there's been zero reference to it anywhere else.

Also, the unions would never strike on Saturday - they wouldn't risk the consumer backlash.

Today is the Day! It feels like a Grand Final and I haven't even left home yet!!

How about in respect to this grand day and thread, all of us going post photos from our experiences today. This is a momentous day in Adelaide, let's all get on with it and enjoy the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the ground, and the bridge is good, but it isnt wide enough...

Plus it will clog up post the game as people from 180 degrees try and get on it... exactly like the etithad bridge going to southern cross train station

Plus it will clog up post the game as people from 180 degrees try and get on it... exactly like the etithad bridge going to southern cross train station
I doubt it'd be too bad.
30% of the crowd would use Adelaide Bridge instead.
Then a large contingent would be going to the busses along King William Road.
A few will filter out to North Adelaide too.

I think only about 20-25k would be going to the bridge, and for the most part, they'd be coming from the southern gate. So it wont be too much of a bottleneck.
And if it is, I doubt it'd be worse than the cluster* at the Ken Friar bridge at Emirates Stadium.

I had this uncomfortable experience last month, that was messed up.

Then taking the tube back into central London was equally as tight.
The problem is at Emirates is if you go the south route instead (less people) you go to 1 stop down the line on the station, so you're not boarding the train.

1st game I went there I followed the crowd going the way I knew (Arsenal train station)
Learnt, 2nd time I went there I walked back to the city. Thought it'd be faster than fighting against the crowd then standing in line forever.

Nah no problems on the bridge tonight.

Yes it was chockers, but it was flowing with ease.

Curious, is the hill heritage listed? If not how long until they turn it into a 70,000 seat stadium, with both clubs having the membership numbers to fill it already.

Is there a 3rd set of change rooms for visiting sides, or do the away team use the non playing SA clubs rooms?

Real GF feel today watching it on the TV.

Looks like a world class venue, and being in the heart of the city, good times ahead for both cricket and footy in Adelaide.

Curious, is the hill heritage listed? If not how long until they turn it into a 70,000 seat stadium, with both clubs having the membership numbers to fill it already.

Is there a 3rd set of change rooms for visiting sides, or do the away team use the non playing SA clubs rooms?

Real GF feel today watching it on the TV.

Looks like a world class venue, and being in the heart of the city, good times ahead for both cricket and footy in Adelaide.
The old scoreboard (built 1911) is heritage listed, along with the fig trees. The only way a northern stand will be built is if the trees die and the scoreboard is seriously damaged. There is a separate race and change room for the visiting team.

First experience today with a disabled person in tow at the new AO. Great game and result , as expected facilities were ok , we were seated close by the bar/grassed area and am really glad this area was retained , really gives a special atmosphere , something unfortunately lost at the Mcg,Scg , Gabba etc. The whole day was made easier for us as a family member was able to drop us of early at Pennington terrace east , were the taxi rank starts . On the way out was more difficult as PT east was shut to allow cars easier exit , I suppose us getting there 80 minutes early helped our cause , maybe we got it wrong , but , didn't see sight nor sound of the golf buggies that were suppose to assist ,so to sum up , a great day at a great stadium , would of been perfect if parking/disabled access was better , cheers.

The old scoreboard (built 1911) is heritage listed, along with the fig trees. The only way a northern stand will be built is if the trees die and the scoreboard is seriously damaged. There is a separate race and change room for the visiting team.

That's what I thought, I think it's good to have that traditional Adelaide Oval look at one end still.

If the clubs do outgrow the size of the arena, be interesting to see if we have an SCG event where a stand is built in front of the scoreboard and fig trees, even to bring the capacity to. 60 rather than 70 or 75.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back