The 2014 Attendance Thread

THinking about it, IMO average attendances will rise as we get further into the season, thursday night games and sunday evening games are just not ideal for families and even working people.

Maybe the AFL is testing the waters for future media deals by obtaining the ratings numbers for those type of games.

To break or even approach records the stars have to allign, or come close to alligning, in the AFL sense that would mean a very even season, with the Melbourne big 4 or 5 ( Coll, Car, Rich, Ess and Hawth) all having good seasons, it would also need WCE, Freo (now) Adel, Syd and Bris ( the last 2 with big Melboune supporter bases) having decent seasons.

As the season unfolds i predict a return to about last years averages.

Bookmark it. :thumbsu:

After two Rounds average crowds this year are 31,174. Last year's Season Average was 31,508. Averages will be fine.

Certainly felt like a 49-50k crowd, was very surprised when the number went up. Only explanation I can think of is that a lot of people don't bother to book a ticket because they assume the game will be sold out.

FYI, Hawthorn's banned had "Would you rather play at the MCG?" on it. Is that a regular thing or was it a swipe at the constant fixturing of this game at Etihad?
As far as I am concerned, if the AFL really wanted to maximise attendances, the only home games Essendon should play at Etihad are against the interstate teams, Melbourne, North, Bulldogs and the Saints. Geelong, Hawthorn, Pies, Blues and Tiges @ MCG.

Dons/Blues will draw well at Sunday 7:10pm as it's school holidays in Victoria.
School holidays are the only time that Sunday and Monday night football are acceptable.
BTW - I noticed there was no Thursday night football on the Thursday (24th) before ANZAC day. You'd think with a public holiday the next day they would fixture something in there.

Ive never tried to be the arbiter of what is good for the game. I want a fair discussion that doesnt revolve around the same 4 people telling us how bad melbourne clubs are for football in this country ad nauseum like its an article of faith.

There is plenty of evidence in the form of crowds, memberships, tv ratings, the draft and participation figures to suggest that Victorian clubs as a whole more than pull their weight when it comes to football in this country, but that doesnt suit the "national" agenda of yours now does it.

I didnt believe the personal opinion of a moderator does, in any way , shape or form, carry more weight than the plebs.

You refer to my 'national' agenda* (your words), I'll cop that so refer to your entitlement claim (you'd be over the moon at the reintroduction of knighthoods & Dames) of the Melbourne clubs its fans & its stadiums.

TV ratings : how misleading is that TV ratings thread - one for cheerleaders, misleading because it ignores 30% of Australian households. You reply should (at a minimum) be accurate given your superior, self proclaimed outlook. Errrh I said its only the capital cities would be pathetic, your views personally that I question, its for others to judge the role you hold.

Last edited:
After two Rounds average crowds this year are 31,174. Last year's Season Average was 31,508. Averages will be fine.

After 2 rounds last year the average was 39,811. After 2 rounds this year its 31,174.
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/crowds/2013.html

2014AFLcrowdsR2.png

Last edited:
I didnt believe the personal opinion of a moderator does, in any way , shape or form, carry more weight than the plebs.

It doesnt. And I have never claimed otherwise.

You refer to my 'national' agenda* (your words), I'll cop that so refer to your entitlement claim (you'd be over the moon at the reintroduction of knighthoods & Dames) of the Melbourne clubs its fans & its stadiums.

I simply dont believe that the there is a requirement to reduce funding to Melbourne clubs or that there is a need to get rid of them. These measures are not currently necessary as long as the overall Melbourne situation remains as it is - pulling most of the income for the league.

TV ratings : how misleading is that TV ratings thread - one for cheerleaders, misleading because it ignores 30% of Australian households. You reply should (at a minimum) be accurate given your superior, self proclaimed outlook. Errrh I said its only the capital cities would be pathetic, your views personally that I question, its for others to judge the role you hold.

what the hell are you on about? I can only give what the data is from oztam. I cant make them give me regional data that i dont have. Note that i have always been happy to be corrected on my views where there are facts to back it up (such as Hoops correcting me in the AFL v NRL thread on what is posted in the ThinkTV releases regarding regional WA and Tasmania).

Just did a quick guesstimate regarding crowds this round, and i reckon crowd average will rise to about 34,000 after this round. ( over the 3 rounds)

I think it'll be between 33-34k average after Round 3. We don't know yet how much of an effect the move to Adelaide Oval will have on the average crowds for the Crows and Port. Adelaide have been consistently in the mid-30's for a while and Port went from 19k in 2012 to 27k in 2013. They've also got a tick under 50k members so I think Port should certainly average in the 30's, whilst Adelaide's jump might not be as much. Maybe high-30's, low-40's.

Same can be said about Sydney as well at the SCG. If their crowds at ANZ continue to be like the game against Collingwood, their average probably won't move much overall. The Giants will surely improve however.

I think it'll be between 33-34k average after Round 3. We don't know yet how much of an effect the move to Adelaide Oval will have on the average crowds for the Crows and Port. Adelaide have been consistently in the mid-30's for a while and Port went from 19k in 2012 to 27k in 2013. They've also got a tick under 50k members so I think Port should certainly average in the 30's, whilst Adelaide's jump might not be as much. Maybe high-30's, low-40's.

Same can be said about Sydney as well at the SCG. If their crowds at ANZ continue to be like the game against Collingwood, their average probably won't move much overall. The Giants will surely improve however.
If our form continues we're definitely average over 30k, unless we have some horror run with the weather each game. Adelaide have sold out the game against Sydney this Saturday but I think a lot of people booked tickets weeks in advance in the hope of seeing Tippett play. Still way too early to determine how big an impact AO will have, but it's going to be a positive one that's for sure.

43,500 to Hawks V Dockers tonight. A pretty good crowd.

It had everything going for it: Friday night at the MCG, good weather, grand final replay.. The only missing ingredient was Buddy Franklin really! I think the GF replay and being in a petfect timeslot would draw another 6-8,000 casuals to the game. I think this is evident in the fact the AFL & MCC members were surprisingly quite busy considering the teams involved and the sort of roll up these teams would achieve under more usual conditions.

As a comparison for Freo games at the G, I think Richmind drew a similar number in average conditions to the G last year and the Pies have drawn about 45,000 V Freo at the G as well though clearly not the same anticipation around these contests.. I think the Pies, Tiges, Bombers would probably have drawn 50,000+ tonight in similar circumstances. Having said that, I don't think any other Vic clubs would have drawn 43,000 V the Dockers in tonight's circumstances, perhaps Carlton I guess.

All in all, the AFL will be happy to get a decent Melbourne crowd under it's belt after recent criticism on crowds.. Deflects the bad publicity.... Until Sunday night anyway:)

Last edited:
43,500 to Hawks V Dockers tonight. A pretty good crowd.

It had everything going for it: Friday night at the MCG, good weather, grand final replay.. I think the GF replay abd being in a petfect timeslot would draw another 6-8,000 casuals to the game. I think this is evident in the fact the AFL members was surprisingly quite busy considering the teams involved.

As a comparison for Freo games at the G, I think Richmind drew a similar number in average conditions to the G last year and the Pies have drawn about 45,000 V Freo at the G as well though clearly not the same anticipation around these contests.. I think the Pies, Tiges, Bombers would probably have drawn 50,000+ tonight in similar circumstances. Having said that, I don't think any other Vic clubs would have drawn 43,000 V the Dockers in tonight's circumstances, perhaps Carlton I guess.

All in all, the AFL will be happy to get a decent Melbourne crowd under it's belt after recent criticism on crowds.. Deflects the bad publicity.... Until Sunday night anyway:)
Yep great crowd tonight. Not hard to see why either when you look at the product they (Hawthorn) dish up to their supporters.

I said all along not to be surprised if the crowd was mid to low 40's.

I think it'll be top 4-5 h&a crowds vs Fremantle so really it's a good turnout.

As someone mentioned, Id only expect collingwood, Richmond and essendon to be able to pull close to or over 50k vs Fremantle. It very rarely gets done vs any other interstate team.

Pretty good start to the round

40k+ attendances v Fremantle in Victoria since 2008 (excluding finals)

2008 v Collingwood - 45,383
2009 v Collingwood - 44,891
2012 v Collingwood - 44,114
2012 v Richmond - 43,801
2014 v Hawthorn - 43,583
2013 v Richmond - 40,125

I said all along not to be surprised if the crowd was mid to low 40's.

I think it'll be top 4-5 h&a crowds vs Fremantle so really it's a good turnout.

As someone mentioned, Id only expect collingwood, Richmond and essendon to be able to pull close to or over 50k vs Fremantle. It very rarely gets done vs any other interstate team.

Pretty good start to the round
Hopefully all crowds this round are back to normal. The afl need to get rid of the round 1 split round for good
Depends what we AFL call normal I guess. Coll V Geelong should draw 65-70,000, WB V Rich should draw close to 40,000. First meetings in previous years for Ess V Carlton (excl when MCg was being developed) suggest 70-75,000. I think you'd expect that under normal circumstances and a Fruday night / Saturday afternoon timeslot this game this year would probably draw close to 75,000, understanding a few Carlton people may decide not to go based on being 0-2 stopping it from getting closer to 80,000. Therefore, whatever the amount below early 70,000's for this game represents a miss and an issue for the game I believe.

To gear the AFL spin doctor Lethlean suggest the league is budgeting for and anticipates only 55,000 for this game suggests: 1. The league are managing public expectations amid an expected poor attendance or 2. It doesn't care about attendances anymore and TV viewership is paramount. Or both. Either way, if there's only 55,000 there tomorrow night it will be a great pity for the look of the game in what has been a bad 12 months for the league.

Last edited:
Depends what we AFL call normal I guess. Coll V Geelong should draw 65-70,000, WB V Rich should draw close to 40,000. First meetings in previous years for Ess V Carlton (excl when MCg was being developed) suggest 70-75,000. I think you'd expect that under normal circumstances and a Fruday night / Saturday afternoon timeslot this game this year would probably draw close to 75,000, understanding a few Carlton people may decide not to go based on being 0-2 stopping it from getting closer to 80,000. Therefore, whatever the amount below early 70,000's for this game represents a miss and an issue for the game I believe.

To gear the AFL spin doctor Lethlean suggest the league is budgeting for and anticipates only 55,000 for this game suggests: 1. The league are managing public expectations amid an expected poor attendance or 2. It doesn't care about attendances anymore and TV viewership is paramount. Or both. Either way, if there's only 55,000 there tomorrow night it will be a great pity for the look of the game in what has been a bad 12 months for the league.
Can't see the Bulldogs-Tigers game getting much more than 30k at Docklands. Traditionally a smallish crowd between these teams for some reason. Perhaps a lack of rivalry (Knights/Libba incident aside), and we've never really been good at the same time. A bit like Richmond/Hawthorn.

40k+ attendances v Fremantle in Victoria since 2008 (excluding finals)

2008 v Collingwood - 45,383
2009 v Collingwood - 44,891
2012 v Collingwood - 44,114
2012 v Richmond - 43,801
2014 v Hawthorn - 43,583
2013 v Richmond - 40,125
I think you may have missed a Dons V Freo game played at Ethihad in about 2002?? 42,256 or close to this comes to mind? I think you may have only selected the MCG ones.

Great crowds this weekend! Not sure what Suns was, but looked decent, Adelaide was good (bit a novelty though), west coast packed as ever, and Geelong pies kept filling up.. Some people forgetting that we don't sell out the mcg every game in H&A season..

Gotta lol at the nrl crowds, 12k for their all sydney clash last night, 7k for a game today, and their marquee game at the scg tonight, they "claim to have 25k" (more than half full).. When every top stand is completely empty, and bottom ones are 50% full, this number seems a touch bullshit haha..
By fudging crowds they only hurt themselves 1) hides issues that need addressing, and 2) claims are one thing, ticket sales are another (not to mention their relatively ridiculously cheap tickets)

Back