Daniel Flynn

Remove this Banner Ad

Its good to hear Port supporters welcoming back the "Flynn" - it is always good to have his type around a footy club. But... what I have seen so far (not much I must admit) the lad will never play AFL

Did you say that about Jim Stynes before he played a senior game? Brian Stynes? Shaun White? Tadgh Kennelly? etc etc etc

I saw one of Kennelly's first games in the Swans reserves. Based on that there was nothing there to suggest he would be a champion player. He had speed, but his kicking was average and he looked lost at times.

I think he could play.

He has burst speed, great size, for his limited exposure very good skills. All he needs to learn is getting more ball and reading the play, if he can do that I could see him playing over 50 games easy.

If he did that, it would be a win IMO

I think he could play.

He has burst speed, great size, for his limited exposure very good skills. All he needs to learn is getting more ball and reading the play, if he can do that I could see him playing over 50 games easy.

If he did that, it would be a win IMO

The best thing about the way he plays is, he doesn't necessarily need to hunt the ball as his pace and kicking is so good, that other team mates will go out of their way to find him.

He's had an AFL ball glued to him for over a year now. He started using one heavily at the start of 2013. His skills are very good. Decision making not so much - but that will come.

I doubt he has had a ball glued to his hand the last couple of months whilst his grandpa was dieing. My understand is that he met Kennelly in August last year and thats when he told him that if he is going to the AFL combine to take a ball everywhere because George Stone, the Sydney assistant coach who took charge of Kennelly's development in late 1999 when they drafted him from Ireland, advised Kennelly to take the ball with him everywhere and to get used to handling it to make up for all years Aussie kids would have handled the ball.

I doubt he has had a ball glued to his hand the last couple of months whilst his grandpa was dieing. My understand is that he met Kennelly in August last year and thats when he told him that if he is going to the AFL combine to take a ball everywhere because George Stone, the Sydney assistant coach who took charge of Kennelly's development in late 1999 when they drafted him from Ireland, advised Kennelly to take the ball with him everywhere and to get used to handling it to make up for all years Aussie kids would have handled the ball.

I thought it was earlier, like jan/feb last year. However, I'll trust you because it's you.

Edit: It was April. Split the difference:)

I thought it was earlier, like jan/feb last year. However, I'll trust you because it's you.

Edit: It was April. Split the difference:)

But I don't think it was until August that Kennelly advised him to go to the Combine. April 2013 would have been a training camp. I remember reading somewhere he decided in August to give it ago.

No doubt the club has done some good work to keep in touch but I reckon we'll owe Kennelly a big thank you when Flynn comes back.

I'm so excited be the kids potential. The thought of him running through our midfield once his fitness is up rustles my jimmies.

Speed, power and the ability to kick on both feet better than kids that have been playing their whole lives....

Yeah, he'll get a shot.

I would love to see him get a game this year given his poise in the NAB challenge match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you talking about the same Flynn? Against the Crows he was dreadful.
I thought he showed a lot to be excited about, sure he stuffed up a few times but he was one of the few that was willing to take the came on and have a crack - nice mark in the fourth too:thumbsu:. To call his performance dreadful is ................well..............dreadful.

Are you talking about the same Flynn? Against the Crows he was dreadful.

Oh dear.

A pre-season match, first competitive AFL sanctioned game ever, picked up a football for the first time 6 months ago. Yeah no hoper :rolleyes:

Oh dear.

A pre-season match, first competitive AFL sanctioned game ever, picked up a football for the first time 6 months ago. Yeah no hoper :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm aghast tbh.

For a bloke who had never played a competitive game of Australian rules of any standard, he moved with speed and balance, gathered brilliantly, read the ball in flight okay and executed by foot deliciously on occasion.

If there was any real criticism it was that he was still Gaelic mode, took too much on and had little feel for how much time he had with ball in hand, something that will only be rectified with experience.

Plenty to work with.

Oh dear.

Sure, Flynn has little football experience - but just on performance he was nowhere near AFL standard.

Sure, Flynn has little football experience - but just on performance he was nowhere near AFL standard.
What did you expect? It's kind of like expecting a first year law student to rock up to court back in 1996 and having Martin Bryant walking free by Christmas.

In the words of our demigod cRowie, "IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!"

In reality, there's no denying he's not currently AFL standard, but given where he's coming from I think a lot of us see a hell of a lot of potential there. I'd be stunned if he got a game this year (although depending on our ladder position he may get a trip to Perth in round 24 if he gets here soon enough) but once he gets a better grasp of the game itself, I reckon he's shown easily enough skill and talent to make it in the future.

Considering he was in our B team in a match where they got hammered that day I thought he showed more than a few of his teammates that have been on our list & in the system a lot longer than him.

We can't judge him on that game when the only player who really looked AFL standard was Polec, if he was playing the same role as Impey in our best side I think he'd look AFL standard.

No doubt whatsoever that he has the right athletic profile to make it as an AFL player but to actually learn the game and the skills of the game will require serious commitment and persistence - something he has, frankly, not been able to demonstrate so far. I'm happy to give him another chance but he needs to start holding up his end of the bargain, and soon.

Hes played all of three games of Aussie Rules in his life.

His skill base is excellent. His football nous is way off. That's where he needs to improve. And that's only going to happen by playing games.

No doubt whatsoever that he has the right athletic profile to make it as an AFL player but to actually learn the game and the skills of the game will require serious commitment and persistence - something he has, frankly, not been able to demonstrate so far. I'm happy to give him another chance but he needs to start holding up his end of the bargain, and soon.

Have a little heart. The kid moved to a foreign country. Doesn't have any established friends or relationships. Was training in temperature twice what he's ever been exposed to, for numerous hours a day. His pop who he was close with was terminally ill and he missed home. He wants to come back...

I get that this is professional sport and that's a big deal - but the players are still humans.

Re Flynn - all of your comments are fair and reasonable - my point is that if you are on an AFL list you have to be around the mark. They guy is loved by the club and his teammates. I only question - is he going to play an afl match?
There will be no doubt a lot of effort and resources from coaches and staff trying to get him up to a certain standard - I hope he makes it.

Have a little heart. The kid moved to a foreign country. Doesn't have any established friends or relationships. Was training in temperature twice what he's ever been exposed to, for numerous hours a day. His pop who he was close with was terminally ill and he missed home. He wants to come back...

I get that this is professional sport and that's a big deal - but the players are still humans.

We're not throwing him in prison, we are paying him to play sport professionally. I empathise with what you are saying and would like to see him have another crack at it, but he needs to be 100% committed or he is wasting everyone's time, including his own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back