The "Annual" Good Friday football discussion thread

Are you happy for football to be played on Good Friday?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We haven't had a Friday night game since 2012 and won't get any this year unless we go deep into September (lol), only 3 Saturday nights with 2 away and a home against Brisbane, 7 or 8 of our 10-11 CH7 games (most are in the 2nd half of the season) are away and we play 14-15 Sundays, trying too keep afloat while we've bottomed out for sure would be at the forefront at the Whitten Oval.
Two years since a Fri night match ouch that needs changing asap

Check out the Herald Sun Jon Ralph article up tonight saying Essendon is in frame now for Good Friday due to good relationship with Eithad Stadium.
Very surprised at this suggestion
We can't get greedy we already have Anzac Day match I'd prefer other teams play in it tbh
You might get your wish from 2016 onwards from what I've heard.

Can anyone advise if Gill McLaughlin (certain new CEO) is religious or not? This may hamper the final decision on Good Friday footy as it has with Vlad as CEO

No need for standalone fixtures. It should be scheduled like a normal day.

"Neutrals will go because it is Good Friday" is a strange belief too. 'Neutrals' go to Ess-Coll because the AFL has completely appropriated Anzac Day (and they're really popular clubs).

(North Melbourne or Bulldogs in a "blockbuster" is pretty funny.)

Last edited:
Check out the Herald Sun Jon Ralph article up tonight saying Essendon is in frame now for Good Friday due to good relationship with Eithad Stadium.
Very surprised at this suggestion
We can't get greedy we already have Anzac Day match I'd prefer other teams play in it tbh

Jon Ralph is a moron, I'd believe the opinion of a bag of rocks before I'd listen to anything he has to say.

I'd say the complete lack of evidence for the existence of any god (let alone the Christian one) is reason enough to have good Friday Football.

But since when have the AFL responded to evidence anyway...

Can't believe the AFL would consider selling out to Essendon, not at this stage anyway.

North should get it. Carlton, they have the season opener with Richmond, they look like being a bottom 8 team for a while yet, I wouldn't let them near it.

Considering Melb/Coll is QB'day, Coll/Ess is ANZAC day, Haw/Geel Easter Monday. That leaves St Kilda and WB. Maybe it should be North, St Kilda (be nice to have the saints on Good Friday) and Bulldogs in a 3 way go with 2 teams playing each year and 1 team missing out. Could even make it the 2 highest finishers on the ladder in the previous year, how would a bit of merit based selection like that go down in the AFL?

Can't believe the AFL would consider selling out to Essendon, not at this stage anyway.

North should get it. Carlton, they have the season opener with Richmond, they look like being a bottom 8 team for a while yet, I wouldn't let them near it.

Considering Melb/Coll is QB'day, Coll/Ess is ANZAC day, Haw/Geel Easter Monday. That leaves St Kilda and WB. Maybe it should be North, St Kilda (be nice to have the saints on Good Friday) and Bulldogs in a 3 way go with 2 teams playing each year and 1 team missing out. Could even make it the 2 highest finishers on the ladder in the previous year, how would a bit of merit based selection like that go down in the AFL?
Seems reasonable, so of course it won't be considered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No need for standalone fixtures. It should be scheduled like a normal day.

"Neutrals will go because it is Good Friday" is a strange belief too. 'Neutrals' go to Ess-Coll because the AFL has completely appropriated Anzac Day (and they're really popular clubs).

(North Melbourne or Bulldogs in a "blockbuster" is pretty funny.)

So only Essendon and Collingwood had ANZACS is that right?

Eh? Aren't a massive amount of neutrals heading to Anzac day.....

So how many Anzac day marchers go to the game after the Dawn Ceremony and the March? Once again I will ask, are all Anzacs just Collingwood and Essendon?

So how many Anzac day marchers go to the game after the Dawn Ceremony and the March? Once again I will ask, are all Anzacs just Collingwood and Essendon?

Not in the slightest.

But without being disrespectful, your club, amongst others, cannot guarantee the attendance and prestige necessary for that game.

I notice you didn't deny kiddy fiddling as a Catholic thing though.

Wow. So it's a catholic thing is it? It has never occurred in schools, kindergartens, scouts groups, YMCA, girl guides, Anglican, Lutheran, Baptist, Hindu, Muslim churches, let alone in many thousands of Australian families? It has very probably happened in your own street. Paedophilia is purely a catholic thing is it?!

Hawks and Geelong already have Easter Monday.

But if the AFL is insistent on it being a BLOCKBUSTER game it makes perfect sense for the Hawks to play Geelong. Two other teams can make Easter Monday their game.

Why wouldn't you consider an interstate team or even have a second game interstate. Remember the AFL is a national competition. And it would make more sense to switch Hawks VS Geelong to Good Friday and two other teams could take their Easter Monday slot.

Back