The "Annual" Good Friday football discussion thread

Are you happy for football to be played on Good Friday?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering the fact that 99% of people watching a stand alone AFL game are doing so on TV I don't see what the size of the crowd has got to do with it really. The AFL"s reluctance to schedule a game on Good Friday has stumped me for years. It appears that Gil is open to the idea and that is a good thing. What is left of the Christian influence in this country has thankfully dissipated to a level that ensures people who don't believe a bloke built an ark which carried two of every species on Earth for 190 days ( among other fairy tales ) have equal standing to those who do. This has not always been the case. The majority of footy fans want a game on Good Friday. To hold out on religious grounds is absolutely ridiculous. How on Earth can the AFL have a multicultural round, celebrating diverse backgrounds that include many non Christian faiths and still hold onto the notion that Good Friday is so sacred that it deserves to stand apart?
Your comment about Christianity is extremely ignorant and offensive. If you want footy on Good Friday then fine. But no need to denigrate religion.

What are these 'other pursuits' you speak of? Nothing happens on Good Friday!

I gather some people have religious stuff on.

and there is the Childrens hospital appeal.

You know, all that stuff used as an excuse not to play then.

Of course, the best reason to make if GWS v GC is to hear the screams from both the North supporters. Maybe this time their heads really will explode.

Last edited:
Your comment about Christianity is extremely ignorant and offensive. If you want footy on Good Friday then fine. But no need to denigrate religion.

Yes no need to denigrate religion. It doesnt need any help ;)
Anyway, I think good friday is a great day for local footy. Why does the AFL have to blanket everything? why not leave the day for a quiet family day & local footy if you want a leather fix?

Back