Hawks v Geelong: who will win and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen you post a couple of times now about Sewell like that. Why such disrespect to a player that has been a great player for Hawthorn for a decade now? He has probably been our best finals player for this whole period.

He started slowing down last year no doubt but people wrote him off the start of 2012 too and he ended up having a great season.

Who knows what will happen this year for him but many argue he is easily still best 22.

Even with all this, why the immature lol? You cry about people writing off your clubs champs yet you treat one of ours like a spud.
For truth! Sewell deserves more respect.

You cry about people writing off your clubs champs yet you treat one of ours like a spud.

I cry do I?

It's one thing to respect a player and all but it's another to expect that player to have a big say at the end of the season. Hodgepodge naming him is only to try and make the list of outs look somewhat more exaggerated.
Sewell won't be improving Hawthorn's list, if he did, that would be a worry for Clarkson I'd presume. He's been a terrific player for a long period of time but his hard style of game has seen it get the better of him and now you have younger, talented blokes taking his spot in the team so it's always going to be an uphill battle for Sewell to get back into the best 22.

I cry do I?

It's one thing to respect a player and all but it's another to expect that player to have a big say at the end of the season. Hodgepodge naming him is only to try and make the list of outs look somewhat more exaggerated.
Sewell won't be improving Hawthorn's list, if he did, that would be a worry for Clarkson I'd presume. He's been a terrific player for a long period of time but his hard style of game has seen it get the better of him and now you have younger, talented blokes taking his spot in the team so it's always going to be an uphill battle for Sewell to get back into the best 22.

Least you explained the reasoning. We will see whether he can come back into the best 22 or not

who makes way? Don't say Simpkin, I been suggesting for years he's not quite upto it at the top level so if he is indeed dropped, where does that leave Jonathan's career at Hawthorn?

A squad player. Like Cheney or Spangher. I'd say Sewell, Anderson, Shiels and Whitecross would all displace him of the current midfield absentees.

who makes way? Don't say Simpkin, I been suggesting for years he's not quite upto it at the top level so if he is indeed dropped, where does that leave Jonathan's career at Hawthorn?

Hard to say as we have a solid 28-30 players, easily the best depth I've seen at the Hawks.

Simpkin is good depth and a 20-25 player on our list. Having players like him, Cheney and Spangher have been great for coping with the injuries we've had.

Sewell will be vital by finals I reckon although Langford will be stiff if this is the case.

My best 22 would be

Burgoyne Lake Stratton
Hodge Gibson Birchall
Hill Mitchell Smith
Breust Gunston Puopolo
Rioli Roughead Hale
McEvoy Shiels Lewis
Suckling Schoenmakers Sewell Anderson

So first choice depth would be:

Whitecross (would definitely be best 22 but worried how long it would take to get back to form after coming off 2 knee recos)

Langford
Duryea
Cheney
Simpkin
Spangher
Ceglar
Wanganeen
Litherland

1020 pm for me and I have a 6am shuttle to LAX for a 830am flight to NY….

Im screwed….

And yes, the neighbours have been warned, the ear plugs bought and distributed and the wife and kids told to suck it up…Dad's watching the Cats v Hawks and the while bloody neighborhood is gonna know about it….

Go Catters

Starts 1.20am here in NYC mate! tossing up whether to watch it live (and suffer through Monday at work), or get up around 5am on Monday and hope the AFL site has the replay uploaded already.. but either way watching Haw v Geelong games in the morning is a heart-stopping way to start the day! Had to go to work after watching the prelim last year and I was just in a daze...

Starts 1.20am here in NYC mate! tossing up whether to watch it live (and suffer through Monday at work), or get up around 5am on Monday and hope the AFL site has the replay uploaded already.. but either way watching Haw v Geelong games in the morning is a heart-stopping way to start the day! Had to go to work after watching the prelim last year and I was just in a daze...
Have not missed a live Cats game in over 4 seasons…..

And the sleep pain is epic but worth it… Losses are just brutal however.. At least the win gives you a bit more adrenalin.. the loss just saps it….

Will be a cracker for sure….

Go Catters

And the sleep pain is epic but worth it… Losses are just brutal however.. At least the win gives you a bit more adrenalin.. the loss just saps it….

Go Catters

That's a good effort! You've convinced me to stay up on Sunday night/Monday morning.

You got to watch it live. Sleep at 8pm.

That's a good effort! You've convinced me to stay up on Sunday night/Monday morning.

Its on fox soccr plus, the live AFL streaming site and KROCK covering it… TV on, volume down, ROCK cranking….
as good as it gets…

Go Catters

Its on fox soccr plus, the live AFL streaming site and KROCK covering it… TV on, volume down, ROCK cranking….
as good as it gets…

Go Catters

It's live on TSN2 here. It's not like 1am is too late to stay up. It's just we don't get Easter Monday off and I have a 1 year old who will probably wake me up early. I'll suck it up though :)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And by the way any Hawthorn or Geelong supporter not going to the game that isn't out of town for the day should be ashamed of themselves.
You working for the AFL now, mate?

Go Catters

Well done. That's a cracking effort.

Hope the pain isn't too bad this time. ;)

Cats by 43 points. Hawks have beaten no one of note. Midfield isnt as good as Geelongs. Lonegran, Taylor, Rivers and Enright will EASILY account for Gunston, Hale, Roughy and Cyril (Enright owns him, lets be honest) and any other forward they decide to play, and Unless Lake absolutely hits the ground running (if he even plays) Hawkins will humiliate whoever else (please God let it be Schoenmakers in his first game back) draws the short straw.
We've beat Freo & Essendon of note Geelong have beaten well no one.

Well done. That's a cracking effort.

Hope the pain isn't too bad this time. ;)
Got a lot of joy in the bank .. Can handle momentary lapses of reason... You can't come from where we have and not allow for a loss here and there... Just may not be this week..
Go Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back