List Mgmt. 2014 trade/draft/FA/delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
best available at each pick? with the depth and breadth of your talent pool, would you draft according to needs (eg. good backline players)?

I expect us to grab Durdin if he's available at our first pick, but other than that who knows?

Reckon we need one more high quality mid. My summary of our mids -

Whitfield - Quality kid, great finisher, huge tank maybe more outside
Treloar - Absolute A grade gun. Only criticism is he doesn't hit scoreboard enough but probably doesn't need too
Shiel - Shows the makings of a Daniel Kerr type, super strong. Getting better all the time and has good speed
Kelly - Very similar to Whitfield though not quite the finisher but that will come, more outside
Coniglio - Gun at clearances, good speed but can panic with disposals as not elite kicker
Greene - Gun at clearances and finding ball, huge tank, poor disposal efficiency
Ward - Solid at clearances, runs both ways, very good and accountable at defence
Scully - Outside elite runner, good defender
Hoskin-Elliott - More a winger. Has burst speed however
O'Rourke - Hasn't shown much

We don't really have that 187-192 burst mid. Tyson was in that range but was slow and O'Rourke has struggled. I think our young defenders are good and in Jaksch, McCarthy and Tomlinson we have some good tall swing men. We need Petracca and a good small indigenous kid like Pickett, they would add some skill and speed to our talented core group.

hey guys. i understand your angst about the crap rumours that arise everytime some mug journo needs a story in a slow news week (and then numbskull BF posters seeking to clarify if the rumour that jeff from the bottle shop told them about treloar, JOR, jon patton is true)

i have a (genuine) question regarding GWS' general approach to the offseason. what do you think your needs are and how do you best go about addressing them?

do you need more established bodies? a star? continue to go to the draft and spread the age of your list? downtrade / 'dom tyson' trade? picks for players? (not interested in taking about specific players or trades, just the needs and the approach).

eg. i think our mob will go to the draft with early picks, where our focus will be on a HBF / midfielder with sound decision making, footskills and some toe. we'll try to attract a young <24 KPF as a trade or FA, and if we strike out (which is likely), draft one.

cheers.

Personally I'd be happy to have a quiet off season. I think it's time to dance with the ones that brung us. We bring too many in and it will just be more rumours about players not getting a game. Our defence (when it's on the park) is shaping up nicely - that's what our needs in the past have been - but with Hampton Haynes Shaw Davis Kennedy & Mohr with a rotating schedule of Frost, Buntine, Plowman, Williams, Wilson etc it's starting to look pretty solid. Our midfield and forward line is pretty full as well.

I can see a Tyson or Adams type deal being done again but don't expect adding another three or four (Addison/Mumford/Lamb/Hunt) like last year. I just don't see the need.

Lewis has great disposal but was always known as a soft player and HBF isn't an area we are short in.

Haynes
Hampton
Bugg
Plowman
Shaw
Hunt
Wilson
Williams
Buntine
Etc

Most likely nothing and Davis is contracted until 2016, but after amost losing his kidney he may be thinking how he wants to be close to family, friends and his partner in S.A so he might actually be asking for a trade on compassionate grounds.

INTRIGUE on Adelaide possibly making a play to regain contracted Greater Western Sydney captain Phil Davis is increasing after the Crows were seen scouting the key defender in Sydney on Saturday night.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...t-for-the-giants/story-fnia3xzy-1226995425268

And off Rucci's chat on the advertiser he was asked:
Has Phil Davis shown any interest in returning to Adelaide, that you know of? I personally agree with Noble targeting Davis, and would seem a nice fit into the Crows defence.

Rucci's reply:

The Crows have been hearing encouraging signs from the western end of Sydney for some months now ....

Most likely nothing and Davis is contracted until 2016, but after amost losing his kidney he may be thinking how he wants to be close to family, friends and his partner in S.A so he might actually be asking for a trade on compassionate grounds.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...t-for-the-giants/story-fnia3xzy-1226995425268

Has Phil Davis shown any interest in returning to Adelaide, that you know of? I personally agree with Noble targeting Davis, and would seem a nice fit into the Crows defence.

Rucci's reply:

The Crows have been hearing encouraging signs from the western end of Sydney for some months now ....

Phil Davis for Daniel Talia?? (that is the only trade I would entertain)

Like for Like but they would both have to agree!!

I really doubt Adelaide could match what we are paying Phil...if it was for compassionate reasons he would have to take a decent hit financially. I'm sure Talia wouldn't mind getting a significant pay rise. He's a Melbourne boy anyway so would probably love leaving SA.

Just had more of a think about this and pretty sure Phil's contract was heavily front ended which might also add weight to this rumour.

Makes you think front ending contracts is a pretty dick move even for the sake of managing the cap.

I guess a possibility. I don't like the Frawley 7 year $850K deal thing, he is a very good player but that would be overpaying. I'd sooner offer a bloke like Talia a massive increase and 5 years.

Frawley is a big body though which we do lack in defence. Plowman can be that player but he is still so inconsistent and naive and I reckon 2 or 3 years away. Davis is so important to our structure, we really struggled without him.

Gut feeling is that Frawley will go to Hawthorn who have room in salary cap, are in the Premiership window and will be looking for a replacement for Brian Lake.

Would you guys be interested in Nathan Brown as a big defender? Injury prone but if fully fit would be good for u guys. If interested, what would u be willing to give up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rucci's reply:

Story makes sense, but hopefully there is nothing real in it

Just had more of a think about this and pretty sure Phil's contract was heavily front ended which might also add weight to this rumour.

Makes you think front ending contracts is a pretty dick move even for the sake of managing the cap.

It also creates issues for FA , like with Frawley

Speaking of that , if you could trade Davis for a pick and player (would not be Talia imo) , then get Frawley as a FA with dollars and you have not lost the ability to defend and you have an extra pick and a player to what you want with

I guess a possibility. I don't like the Frawley 7 year $850K deal thing, he is a very good player but that would be overpaying. I'd sooner offer a bloke like Talia a massive increase and 5 years.

Frawley is a big body though which we do lack in defence. Plowman can be that player but he is still so inconsistent and naive and I reckon 2 or 3 years away. Davis is so important to our structure, we really struggled without him.

Gut feeling is that Frawley will go to Hawthorn who have room in salary cap, are in the Premiership window and will be looking for a replacement for Brian Lake.

Did not see your post Andre.
yes 800 for 7 would be over paying but atm , I think you have to do that a bit, Give your big three another couple of years keeping adding to you mids , and there will be players willing to play for less to be in your club. Liked what I saw the other night v the Cats

Michael Talia rumoured to be interested in a fresh start. Not currently at his brothers level but has shown some good signs. Would you guys do a straight swop for Jaksch if both players were keen? Jaksch has some ties to Macrae and Hrovat I believe so might fit right in. Would be a shame to lose Talia as the family has Dogs connections but if he wanted a fresh start then we'd be better off supporting that than hanging on. Also; do you think you'll have a decent crack at Higgins as a free agent?

Phil Davis for Daniel Talia?? (that is the only trade I would entertain)

Like for Like but they would both have to agree!!

I really doubt Adelaide could match what we are paying Phil...if it was for compassionate reasons he would have to take a decent hit financially. I'm sure Talia wouldn't mind getting a significant pay rise. He's a Melbourne boy anyway so would probably love leaving SA.
not really like for like as talia is better/younger

It also creates issues for FA , like with Frawley

Speaking of that , if you could trade Davis for a pick and player (would not be Talia imo) , then get Frawley as a FA with dollars and you have not lost the ability to defend and you have an extra pick and a player to what you want with
just curious, within reason what would be a fair trade for davis who has been constantly hampered by injuries??

just curious, within reason what would be a fair trade for davis who has been constantly hampered by injuries??

If I understand the phrasing of your question correctly you'd be better of without a player so badly affected by injury.

We on the hand value him extremely highly, and would trade at that value ;)

Last edited:

A back injury last year, and getting a knee in the kidneys this year. One normal injury, and one freak collision-based injury that could've occurred to anyone. Not really "constantly hampered". o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back