Status
Not open for further replies.

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
So I figured it was time to start a thread for all our speculations and hopes and terrors.

Who is in the hot seat for retirement/delisting?

Who is on our radar for drafting?

Any free agents that we want/need?

Who looks like they are about to jump off the gravy train?

All this and more folks!
Let the wild predictions and 3rd round offers begin!

Current list of out of contract players

Jono O'Rourke: midfielder (VIC) his first year was crueld by injury but with Adams and Tyson leaving he has surely moved up the pecking order. Former #2 draft pick

Kristian Jaksch: KPF/KPD (VIC) lots of rumors of homesickness but didn't request a trade and his manager has denied the rumors, let's see if he impacts this year. Former #12 draft pick

Dylan Addison: hard nut (NSW) given a lifeline by the club and his future depends on his output.

Last edited:
Here is a write up on 2 of our academy players by chris25

Heading south into NSW, the better players are once again dominated by Academy members. But with GWS having to decrease the size of their list, it could well open up the likes of Liam Griffiths and Nicholas Coughlan for other teams. And while it's not often that Canberra has a draftee, Griffiths is a strong chance to be the first for quite some time. Just on his testing numbers alone, he'd be up there - at the start of this year, he finished second to only Pickett in the 20m sprint and smashed the record of Stephen Hill in the agility test. Apparently he is learning under Tom Scully at the Giants, and he is a similar type of player - mainly outside, but can win his own ball if needed. Nick Coughlan meanwhile is a tall forward standing at around 192cm, strong mark and athletic who also plays in the TAC Cup for the Bushrangers. Unfortunately, both players missed a large part of 2013 with injuries so I can't really comment much more on them.

You'd have think Gilham is gone. Hunt.... Depends on his year. There might be one more, wouldn't be more than that. I'd think Addison will get at least another one.

The young kids? Anything is possible and March is not a month to be speculating about them.

I counted 47 on our list this year what are the clubs limits next year? and do clubs need to have a minimum of 3 picks at the draft.

I counted 47 on our list this year what are the clubs limits next year? and do clubs need to have a minimum of 3 picks at the draft.

We actually have 46 players on our main list and are allowed a max of 48 players in 2015 and every club must at least draft 3 players so in in theory we
could just delist Gilham and we have the room for those 3 draft picks. But here is breakdown on the restrictions for our list size for coming years:

2014 - 44-50 senior list, nine rookies with $640,000 - $1m TPP extra allowance;
2015 - 44-48 senior list, nine rookies with $640k - $880k TPP extra allowance;
2016 - 42-46 senior list, nine rookies with $520k - $760k TPP extra allowance;
2017 - 40-44 senior list, nine rookies with $400k - $640k TPP extra allowance;
2018 - 38-42 senior list, nine rookies with $200k - $520k TPP extra allowance;
2019 - 38 senior list, nine rookies in line with other AFL clubs.

At this point in time Gilham may be in his last season and Jaksch would be the one I think will go/be traded. IMO etc. but of course a lot can change. JOR & Mr Plow should see a fair bit of time this year and with Hunt a possible out as well a place in the team opens up....unless of course the rumblings re Frawley come true.....interesting
List rotation is part and parcel of the game these days so it is unreasonable to think every player will stay or indeed want to stay. It is how the club handles these tough decisions that is important, for both the team and the player.

We're going to be trading 3-4 of our 2015 expirings that either decline to sign contract extentions, cant break into firsts or cant be afforded.

I cant tell you who they are, but it will happen.

Golds and Wilson May very well be in the barrel if that's the case IanW.
We were always going to loose players as all clubs do. But if it means keeping our first choice players I'm all for it. I'd happily part with golds and Wilson if it meant holding onto shiel

Golds and Wilson May very well be in the barrel if that's the case IanW.
We were always going to loose players as all clubs do. But if it means keeping our first choice players I'm all for it. I'd happily part with golds and Wilson if it meant holding onto shiel

This is something I posted over on Bay 13. I think it keeps our first choice players

Oh, while we're thinking about it, have a look at this for disgusting.

GWS start with our own #10 pick from a mid table finish, and the #19 from the compo pick we activated.

We trade Jaksch+O'Rourke+10 to Doggies for #2.

We trade Tomlinson+Hoskin-Elliot+19 to St Kilda for #3.

We trade Greene + Buntine to Melbourne for #1.

We're arguably losing every individual trade. And still end up dominating another draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is something I posted over on Bay 13. I think it keeps our first choice players

GWS start with our own #10 pick from a mid table finish, and the #19 from the compo pick we activated.

We're arguably losing every individual trade. And still end up dominating another draft.

No offence but that sort of s#it can stay on the bay.

Will. Not. Happen.

Quite frankly we do not need another #1 draft pick next year. We don't even need another top 10 draft pick next year. Let alone another 3.

You dance with the one what brung you.

Let's just see how we go with the kids we got. We cut our list by the minimum that we need to.

No offence but that sort of s#it can stay on the bay.

Will. Not. Happen.

Quite frankly we do not need another #1 draft pick next year. We don't even need another top 10 draft pick next year. Let alone another 3.

You dance with the one what brung you.

Let's just see how we go with the kids we got. We cut our list by the minimum that we need to.

We cant pay all of em. So we get value this year, or we leave them to rot in the seconds and then lose them for nothing.

If we can't pay all of them, how are we going to pay for another pick 1,2 & 3? We'll just have to lose those guys in 2 years time and the last thing I want to be is a training feeder club for everyone else.

If we can't pay all of them, how are we going to pay for another pick 1,2 & 3? We'll just have to lose those guys in 2 years time and the last thing I want to be is a training feeder club for everyone else.

Pick 1,2 and 3 all get minimum wage.

And then if they break into the first team, they get paid.

And if they dont, then we give them the opportunity to build their career somewhere else, recycling them for more high picks.

We have roughly $6m over minimum wage to split between 38 players.

Cameron needs to be paid. Patton needs to be paid. Shaw has been paid. Mumford has been paid. Lamb has been paid. Coniglio needs to be paid. Treloar needs to be paid. Frost needs to be paid. Whitfield needs to be paid. Kelly needs to be paid. Tomlinson needs to be paid. Jaksch needs to be paid. Whiley needs to be paid. And so on.

We just cant keep everyone, and we lose em early for 1st round picks, or we lose em later for seconds and thirds.

I'd trust our culture and the desire for the boys to succeed together. Some may sign for unders, some may accept less then market value I the pursuit of Glory

That's what the boys at Geelong did (until the GC offered Ablett a motza) the likes of Jimmy Bartel and Corey Enright have never been paid what they're worth.

I have more faith in our players, it seems, than IanW.

That's what the boys at Geelong did (until the GC offered Ablett a motza) the likes of Jimmy Bartel and Corey Enright have never been paid what they're worth.

I have more faith in our players, it seems, than IanW.

No, you're making the same point I am.

Geelong couldnt pay everyone, lost Ablett and were a pretty decent team afterwards.

Geelong couldnt pay everyone, lost Ablett and were a pretty decent team afterwards.

Ablett left after playing 192 games for the cats and being offered an amazing deal by the suns that situation is more similar to what we might face when free agency hit us, not now.

But for mine our mindset should never be about lets trade player x out and get another higher draft pick and then develop that player for 2 years and trade out again, but rather if players says they want to leave for more opportunities we look to get the player to a club there happy with and try at the same time to get a reasonable deal for us.

But really we have played only 1 game this year and so much can happen in a season, and its worth remembering that at this stage last year Haynes wasn't even close to best 22 now his pretty much a lock.

Last edited:

Don't like it for the same reason as everyone else - in that world we're tossing out players that want to stay for the sake of having the top three picks. I suspect we may lose some of the players, but you manage the losses. You don't just trade everyone away in one year because "they might lose value" or "we need to save money". Bad call. The likes of WHE, O'Rourke, Buntine won't be on a lot of cash anyway if they choose to stay beyond their current contracts, precisely because they're not breaking into seniors and therefore getting corresponding contract upgrades.

Geelong only lost Ablett because of expansion. If the GC or (us for that matter) hadn't entered the competition, he would have stayed at Geelong and been paid unders like his mates. No way Ablett leaves Geelong for any other team except a start up offering millions. Even if an Essendon or a Collingwood offer the same dollars as GC (which they couldn't given their own cap pressures) he doesn't leave. He stays at Geelong with his mates on less dollars than he could get elsewhere.

I think you underestimate the vast majority of players. Sure there are mercenaries but they are way in the minority. Give our kids some credit. They've already proved (most of them) they want to stay. That's how we can laugh at all those Mass Exodus/your club is doomed threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back