Trigg replacement? who will it be

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the club say we will have a new CEO as well as a relatively new COO........ have they put a line through Nige ??? If they are true to their word he wont make the final 3.

They also said something like "someday" Smart and Noble will make good CEOs.

It's true that Noble has been the subject of interest from other clubs. But from what I've read, not as a CEO.

Need to look far and wide.

They may well some day, but it does sound like the time isn't now.

Ray Gunston
Graeme Swann
Trevor Auld
Chris Davies
Keith Thomas
Mark Haysman

from other sports ? soccer, tennis, cricket ??

Left Field
Rod Hook

Hell I might apply for it

I'm reading this thread and it is apparent there are a few people sweating on this decision. I can understand why, the truth should be that a good candidate would do a good job and after a few years if they aren't setting the place on fire, they get moved on for someone who might. Of course that's not the truth, the truth is we all know that whoever they appoint, as long as they are or will be part of the boy's club, won't be going anywhere for many, many years, and the likeliness that they appoint someone who will be or is part of that inner circle, very high. This is why we all want to make sure we get this decisions right and not be left with a Nigel Smart for the next 10 years.

I could stomach Smart if I knew my board would do the necessary thing of replacing him if he doesn't do a good job, but we all know as long as he kept the club ticking over, he will be there for a very long tenure. I just hope Roo is having influence over that board and not being drowned out by the majority.

Crows chairman Rob Chapman denied Trigg was leaving so Smart or another club employee could step in, claiming there wasn't anyone internally who had obvious claims to the position.

Instead, Chapman promised to search both nationally and abroad for the "very best CEO available".

From the AFL website.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ray Gunston
Graeme Swann
Trevor Auld
Chris Davies
Keith Thomas
Mark Haysman

from other sports ? soccer, tennis, cricket ??

Left Field
Rod Hook

Hell I might apply for it

Rod Hook would be an excellent appointment based on a three year plan to get things sorted out.

He has an excellent background in sports administration (President Adelaide Cricket Club) in addition to his CEO experience. Best of all is that he is not and never would be a yes man. We need revolution not evolution if we are to become a successful football club again.

Crows chairman Rob Chapman denied Trigg was leaving so Smart or another club employee could step in, claiming there wasn't anyone internally who had obvious claims to the position.

Instead, Chapman promised to search both nationally and abroad for the "very best CEO available".

From the AFL website.
As long as that search doens't end up in Nigel Smart I i will be happy enough.

Rod Hook would be an excellent appointment based on a three year plan to get things sorted out.

He has an excellent background in sports administration (President Adelaide Cricket Club) in addition to his CEO experience. Best of all is that he is not and never would be a yes man. We need revolution not evolution if we are to become a successful football club again.
What might he do if he was ever let go though? Unprofessionally tip the bucket on everyone?

I'd suggest Rob Gerard if he wasn't getting on too much. Other than that I have NFI. I was 100% sure it would be smart but after Chapman's comments yesterday I honestly think it will come from outside the club.

The club must treat the appointment of the replacement CEO a bit more professionally than they have other appointments in the past.

I personally know some of the applicants for the COO position, and Nigel Smart comes up as a rock ape by comparison to some of those unsuccessful applicants.

Similarly when we replaced Stephen Schwerdt 2 years ago, we appointed his off-sider to the role. Hello!! How lucky were we? Apparently we had the next best person in the land for the job working for us as an assistant. o_O History shows that was a mistake and we should be rectifying that at the end of this year if we've got any common sense.

While loyalty to staff is an admirable trait, it doesn't mean that a doctrine of internal promotion is necessarily the right one.

If you want to be the best, you have to employ the best, and the CEO role in a football club is the one of the most important roles for any club to be a healthy prosperous and ultimately successful football club, with Geelong being a prime example of this.

The club says it is going to look for the best candidate both nationally and internationally. How genuine that statement is will depend on whether they appoint internally or externally, as IMO there would be many many external candidates far better qualified for the role than anything we have in house.

I'd want someone who has been a successful CEO of a multi million dollar company for starters.

Once that criteria has been met, then football/sporting nous and experience can be considered but not before.

I'd want someone who has been a successful CEO of a multi million dollar company for starters.

Once that criteria has been met, then football/sporting nous and experience can be considered but not before.

A few years ago I think Rob Gerard would have been perfect. Run very successful business' here and nationally and even has been on the board of the RBA. He's turning 70 soon though.

I actually did this exercise a couple of months ago - imagining I was the executive recruiter (I'm not a recruiter!) hired to find a new CEO for AFC.

Here's a few names for you (none of whom I know personally) - largely drawn from outside the footy world...

Adrian Anderson (au.linkedin.com/in/adriancanderson)
- lawyer (partner at one of the countries biggest firms) and sports consultant; former AFL COO and ex-interim CEO at Cycling Australia

Judith Griggs (ch.linkedin.com/pub/judith-griggs/56/193/40b)
- lawyer who was CEO of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation and has subsequently been COO of Allsports (part of the group that runs Formula 1)

Jamie McPhee (au.linkedin.com/in/jamiemcphee)
- CEO of Members Equity Bank and former CEO of Adelaide Bank (and then Exec Director with Bendigo & Adelaide Bank); board member of the Melbourne Renegades

John Harnden (au.linkedin.com/pub/john-harnden-am/5/583/385)
- CEO of 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup organising committee; former CEO of SACA, Melbourne Comm Games Org. & Australian Grand Prix Corporation...and been to Harvard :)

Andrew Twaits (au.linkedin.com/in/andrewtwaits)
- lawyer who has had senior exec role with Cricket Australia, was CEO of Betfair Australia, been on the advisory board of the AFLPA and is a director of Racing Victoria and self-employed strategy consultant

If one of them isn't interested and better than Nigel Smart I'll be very surprised!!

EDIT: PS This process took me <30 mins on LinkedIn...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back