News Miles thrives - Gets 2 year extension

Remove this Banner Ad

By drafting Anthony Miles last year Richmond, by definition, believed the GWS discard had something to offer. But just how much he has already offered in six weeks has shocked the club.

Since the 22-year-old was elevated from the rookie list for his club debut in round 12, no Tiger matches him for contested possessions (68), while across the league only recognised extractors Tom Liberatore and Andrew Swallow exceed his tally of 41 clearances.

In those six matches the midfielder has averaged 26 disposals, and thrice attracted votes in the AFL Coaches' Association best-player award.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...shot-at-afl-20140724-zwjnx.html#ixzz38QsacKrk

Found this interesting given the debate yesterday about how highly sought after he was:

After Miles generated no interest in both the trade period and the national draft, Pask's haranguing succeeded "at the 11th hour" when it came to the rookie draft, courtesy of the Tigers.

"I annoyed [head recruiter] Blair Hartley at Richmond enough to give him an opportunity," Pask said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...shot-at-afl-20140724-zwjnx.html#ixzz38QtyEG5b

Found this interesting given the debate yesterday about how highly sought after he was:

After Miles generated no interest in both the trade period and the national draft, Pask's haranguing succeeded "at the 11th hour" when it came to the rookie draft, courtesy of the Tigers.

"I annoyed [head recruiter] Blair Hartley at Richmond enough to give him an opportunity," Pask said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...shot-at-afl-20140724-zwjnx.html#ixzz38QtyEG5b
Are you calling Miles a liar as he said he talked to 3 clubs before we took him in his web chat? Great advert for his Manager though. Looks like he goes into bat for his players which is exactly what you want in a Manager. Can he take on Dusty.

Are you calling Miles a liar as he said he talked to 3 clubs before we took him in his web chat? Great advert for his Manager though. Looks like he goes into bat for his players which is exactly what you want in a Manager. Can he take on Dusty.

There is interest, and there is interest

Id suggest the manager would know what interest is more likely to be realized, than what is just tyre kicking

Great stuff - surely if Kingy returns, the club wouldn't send Miles back to the rookie list (as the article suggested could happen). He's playing too well to be dropped. One of the big highlights of the season for me.

3 clubs spoke to him, yet 135 times no club selected him, clutching at straws in your argument.

Massive wraps for his agent, and massive wraps for the kid. I hope he continues to perform at this level and improves even further, found ourselves a beauty.

3 clubs spoke to him, yet 135 times no club selected him, clutching at straws in your argument.

Massive wraps for his agent, and massive wraps for the kid. I hope he continues to perform at this level and improves even further, found ourselves a beauty.
Maybe we picked him up before they got a chance. The kid himself said he spoke to 3 clubs and you say the 17 other clubs were not interested in him. You might want to head down to Hungry Jacks and Macca's and grab a couple of handfuls of straws .

Maybe we picked him up before they got a chance. The kid himself said he spoke to 3 clubs and you say the 17 other clubs were not interested in him. You might want to head down to Hungry Jacks and Macca's and grab a couple of handfuls of straws .
Do you know what scientific theory is? Cliff notes version is to find a substantiated explanation for things. Here's the wikipedia article if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

The theory in this case is that Miles was a perfect player and had no faults.
Your hypothesis is that Miles had 3 teams talk to him prior to the draft therefore the theory is true.
My hypothesis is that Miles wasn't picked by 17 teams until 136 selections into the National/Pre-Season/Rookie drafts, plus he wasn't traded for or picked up as a delisted Free Agent, therefore the theory is false.
Which hypothesis do you think provides more evidence towards the theory?

I'm just very glad we took a punt on Milsey. Just hitting that critical age where players come into their prime. I'm gonna say it, NICE RECRUITING RFC !! (runs & hides in fox hole, waiting for barrage...:eek::D )

Is it just me or has Milsey become the player we hoped Hellbig would be? Also could his (Anthony) rise signal Brad's possible removal from the list or could Brad become a possible tagger ? (this is not a signal to slag off at Brad either, but I would think his place on the senior list just got more pressure on it)....

Do you know what scientific theory is? Cliff notes version is to find a substantiated explanation for things. Here's the wikipedia article if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

Your hypothesis is that Miles had 3 teams talk to him prior to the draft therefore the theory is true.
My hypothesis is that Miles wasn't picked by 17 teams until 136 selections into the National/Pre-Season/Rookie drafts, plus he wasn't traded for or picked up as a delisted Free Agent, therefore the theory is false.
Tl;dr

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the article they mentioned that he was a bottom-age player when drafted.
I saw a great article on NFL recruits that analysed bottom-age recruits versus top-age recruits. That additional almost full year that top-age recruits had really feeds in to development from juniors up. A 14 year 11 month kid is usually going to be more developed than a 14 year-old kid so they get selected and more resources thrown at them. The bottom-age recruits miss a lot out on resourcing but when they do make it they do it the hard way.

Last edited:

The obvious theory that is correct is that since you said the 17 other clubs were not interested in him yet he has openly stated 3 were makes your theory sound very silly.

Did these 2 other clubs ring his manager to enquire about his health or what he had planned on the weekend?

Where did he openly state that 3 clubs spoke to him? Trying to find that piece of information.

11:57

Comment From Guest
Heading into the rookie draft, how many clubs had spoken to you? What were your initial thoughts about Richmond prior to being drafted and has it changed now?
12:09
There was 2 or 3 clubs that were interested. No club gave me a definitive answer on their interest in me. Blair Hartley called me the night before the draft and said "don't be surprised if we take you".

In terms of my thoughts about Richmond, I held Richmond in a high regard prior to coming to the club and those thoughts have just been solidified since I got here.

The obvious theory that is correct is that since you said the 17 other clubs were not interested in him yet he has openly stated 3 were makes your theory sound very silly.

Did these 2 other clubs ring his manager to enquire about his health or what he had planned on the weekend?
Potential vs reality mate, if you don't want to live in reality then carry on :)

I'm with Rusty on this one, the two other clubs that we beat to the punch were much smarter than us, looking to pick him up even later on in the rookie draft. I mean, how should they know we'd be stupid enough to over pay for his services?! :drunk::drunk::drunk:

I'm with Rusty on this one, the two other clubs that we beat to the punch were much smarter than us, looking to pick him up even later on in the rookie draft. I mean, how should they know we'd be stupid enough to over pay for his services?! :drunk::drunk::drunk:

Where's the tongue in cheek icon when you need it ???:confused:

You know it's against the law to concede an argument on here.

Seriously, 10 games in 2 years at GWS, delisted, ignored in national draft, ignored in preseason draft...pick 27 rookie draft. But he was highly sought after?
You run that argument Rusty and I devalue other seemingly more logical posts you write.

JWhxK.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back