News Miles thrives - Gets 2 year extension

Remove this Banner Ad

I had an interesting discussion about Miles today after the game with people that would know, he wasn't ready round 1. Given that I would hope that people aren't belittling the achievement that Miles has produced since joining the club, changing from a player that was almost out of the system to someone that has cemented his place in the side through working on his deficiencies and having an extremely positive attitude towards his development. Miles is an extremely good kid, we are lucky to have him.
Gidday Dr Mike Did you enjoy the great win?
Of course they would tell you that. It's common sense for the coaching staff to cover their incompetence in failing to play him early on
What were their reasons they gave you?the same rubbish we got on the dissection
Miles starred in the preseason and looked well ahead of about a dozen players
As far as I'm concerned as you said we are lucky to have him and we can only imagine where we would be now if they had the foresight to play him
Just like they had the foresight to play hacks like Hampson and Griggs before others
I'm prepared to wait for next year as I've been waiting for 32 years and I know our list is good enough to challenge top four providing our coaching team has learnt from their mistakes

Of course they would tell you that. It's common sense for the coaching staff to cover their incompetence in failing to play him early on
As far as I'm concerned as you said we are lucky to have him and we can only imagine where we would be now if they had the foresight to play him
Just like they had the foresight to play hacks like Hampson and Griggs before others
I'm prepared to wait for next year as I've been waiting for 32 years and I know our list is good enough to challenge top four providing our coaching team has learnt from their mistakes

:drunk:

A lot more than the dissection actually.

RE: Your opinion on the coaching incompetence surrounding Miles, can we move on from this topic because we're just going around in circles? You have your opinion, I have mine. I've tried to provide an explanation but neither of you want to change your opinion. If none of us are going to agree, lets leave it at that and talk about the things Miles has done since being in the team, not the things that are made up.

I had an interesting discussion about Miles today after the game with people that would know, he wasn't ready round 1. Given that I would hope that people aren't belittling the achievement that Miles has produced since joining the club, changing from a player that was almost out of the system to someone that has cemented his place in the side through working on his deficiencies and having an extremely positive attitude towards his development. Miles is an extremely good kid, we are lucky to have him.
I was talking last weekend to someone that is in the inner sanctum of punt road and it was his opinion that Miles would have played better more consistent football than at least half of our senior side all season had he been given the opportunity early and would currently be top 5 in our best and fairest for the year and holding his form. This person mentioned that the form he showed in the NAB Cup and the way he attacked pre season was exemplary and he felt that though Thomas was a hard body and a safer bet for promotion off the rookie list there where those at the club in the know that thought the kid should of been given the chance . He said that feeling got stronger after our round 2 capitulation when it was obvious we were carrying a lot of out of form players and missing Shane Tuck more than we expected because Thomas was not a penetrating kick like Tuck was ( he actually clarified to me that penetrating meant attacking and long distances not 10m side ways or backwards)

This person also confided in me that it was silly not to put Maric on the LTI and promote this kid after round 2 and really felt for the kid when he finally got promoted when he had to wait another 3 weeks to debut. He also said that there is no surprise that Miles has been a big part of our form turn around since he was promoted and inside the inner sanctum he and basically everyone at the club are dirty on themselves they didn't promote him and get him in the team at the 3 chances they were able to but would learn from it and make sure it never happens again.

What a ripper we have got and I can't wait to see his next 250 games.

tumblr_ljepsrvfQ51qi553yo1_500.gif

I was talking last weekend to someone that is in the inner sanctum of punt road and it was his opinion that Miles would have played better more consistent football than at least half of our senior side all season had he been given the opportunity early and would currently be top 5 in our best and fairest for the year and holding his form. This person mentioned that the form he showed in the NAB Cup and the way he attacked pre season was exemplary and he felt that though Thomas was a hard body and a safer bet for promotion off the rookie list there where those at the club in the know that thought the kid should of been given the chance . He said that feeling got stronger after our round 2 capitulation when it was obvious we were carrying a lot of out of form players and missing Shane Tuck more than we expected because Thomas was not a penetrating kick like Tuck was ( he actually clarified to me that penetrating meant attacking and long distances not 10m side ways or backwards)

This person also confided in me that it was silly not to put Maric on the LTI and promote this kid after round 2 and really felt for the kid when he finally got promoted when he had to wait another 3 weeks to debut. He also said that there is no surprise that Miles has been a big part of our form turn around since he was promoted and inside the inner sanctum he and basically everyone at the club are dirty on themselves they didn't promote him and get him in the team at the 3 chances they were able to but would learn from it and make sure it never happens again.

What a ripper we have got and I can't wait to see his next 250 games.
So whose spinning the crap.
Your mate??Your mates evidence seems to closely coincide with my informants.ALL Strange to meo_O

DrMikes informants? Still love to know the deficiencies these informants said the kid had as hes playing the game as well now as he was against the Dees in the NAB Challenge

My blokes i meet around the traps;)? OR
Dimma's dissection?

Porky pies somewhere

So many informants.
Loose lips sink ship.

I'd actually almost believe Rusty's version as it was the comprehensible and serious post i think he has ever written ;)

I would like to add that certain players are give chances to improve their deficiencies in the seniors while others are forced to do it in the twos. Ellis inside ball, Vlastuin tank, Grigg inside ball, Houli defensive and one on ones, Martin defensive pressure, Conca spread, Hampson footballing ability, Ty Vickery intensity and repeat efforts and Morris offensive running.

A team obviously has to be picked every week and you'll always have players working on their weaknesses but stop using it as a reason not to pick certain players as its a cop out.

Its not a reason to sack the coaching staff either, everyone makes a mistake its about learning from it and accepting responsibility. No surprise the Aussie cricket team has done better since they started picking players who were in form not guys that they thought would be Aussie cricketers one day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the point that some players are given the chance to improve their deficiencies in first grade and others aren't somes up our season and why we won't be playing finals this year very accurately .

It's great to see some improvement over the last 2 games and last night was especially special considering the conditions but if we can't move forward and pick and drop players on form then we'll be back to where we were in the opening 12 rounds of this year very fast.

There's no doubt we have a finals producing list and all the talk early on in the year about a clean out was way off the mark. We've had the cattle and now it is being harnessed better by the coaching staff which is great to see.

I'd hate to see us fall into the same trap again though .

Glad he is ours now, just what we need, with more development in Vlastiun and Lennon to come, we are starting to get a decent midfield, need a few more though.
Think we need one more ball winner. Shiels would round us out. Ball winner, but explosive pace out of a stoppage.

I'm going to vom if I hear the commentators (In particular Tom Harley) say that this shows how good the talent pool at GWS is....maybe it is....but you know what....maybe they're just sh*t!! Clubs get things wrong, mismanage certain players. With GWS being in a very new and uncharted position I'm sure they will make some mistakes. Does Matt White going to port mean we have an amazing pool of quick outside runners? Does Jay Shulz being traded mean we have a surplus of gun forwards? Does Mitch Morton going to Sydney mean we have the talent pool for crafty goal kicking premiership forwards??? No, no and....no. Clubs lose talented players for a whole host of reasons so quit crowing commentators you sillies. And you tipped West Coast so cop it Harley! :D :D:eek:

I don't doubt people have told you this DrMike . But that thought is complete and utter bullshit . He was our best on on baller during the pre season when played . Thomas came into his own on small grounds when his lack of pace wasn't exposed . During the season we have seen the exact same, on wet tracks or on small grounds Thomas has been serviceable .
The fact people in the know have allegedly continued to fail to identify they got it wrong shits me the most and is probably a contributing factor why our recruiting and selection process' are not improving .
2013 we seen white and Ellis have dominate pre seasons yet fall out of favour in the early part of the season only to come into the side and play a major part in us making finals. This year it's Miles unfortunately he was brought in to late to help us making finals .

I don't doubt people have told you this DrMike . But that thought is complete and utter bullshit . He was our best on on baller during the pre season when played . Thomas came into his own on small grounds when his lack of pace wasn't exposed . During the season we have seen the exact same, on wet tracks or on small grounds Thomas has been serviceable .
The fact people in the know have allegedly continued to fail to identify they got it wrong shits me the most and is probably a contributing factor why our recruiting and selection process' are not improving .
2013 we seen white and Ellis have dominate pre seasons yet fall out of favour in the early part of the season only to come into the side and play a major part in us making finals. This year it's Miles unfortunately he was brought in to late to help us making finals .

First bolded bit ----- The question must be asked why he was left out of the Pre-season games and only played as a sub after playing so well. IMO it wasnt going to sit well with the plan of upgrading Thomas..... who I believe was on a promise. Lets call it the Thomas Promise.

Ive been critical of our selection process since day one under Dimma and the message it sends to the entire group... I suppose every club has favourites but I have serious concerns in our match committees ability to pick the right players.

Players should be given the opportunity to pick themselves.... I remember KB telling the story in his year asking his coach at the time what he needed to do for them to pick him. His coach's reply was they dont pick the players the players pick them selves.... meaning you play well you are in.

Its just a shame he was a rookie.

Its the number 1 thing that Dimma needs to get right.

Our recruiting department needs a complete overhaul.

While our first round picks have generally been serviceable the latter rounds picks have been dire

I think Lloyd and Gordon look ok... The picks havent been terrible and we havent missed out on too many good players going later. I'm more concerned in out lists balance and what we are going to do with our first pick this year.

First bolded bit ----- The question must be asked why he was left out of the Pre-season games and only played as a sub after playing so well. IMO it wasnt going to sit well with the plan of upgrading Thomas..... who I believe was on a promise. Lets call it the Thomas Promise.

Ive been critical of our selection process since day one under Dimma and the message it sends to the entire group... I suppose every club has favourites but I have serious concerns in our match committees ability to pick the right players.

Players should be given the opportunity to pick themselves.... I remember KB telling the story in his year asking his coach at the time what he needed to do for them to pick him. His coach's reply was they dont pick the players the players pick them selves.... meaning you play well you are in.

Its just a shame he was a rookie.

Its the number 1 thing that Dimma needs to get right.
Our selection process is not dissimilar to many , in that recruits are given some form of assurance of the opportunities they will be given .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back