No Oppo Supporters CAS hands down guilty verdict - Players appealing - Dank shot - no opposition - (cont in pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from SC actually being issued (which the club and players thought wouldn't happen).

A lot has happened.
Maybe the club and players thought it wouldn't happen for a good reason. Maybe they thought ASADA wouldn't be that stupid. Just pointing out there is two ways to read that.

PR manager linked to Labour, The AFL, and Essendon, you'd wonder if they had a PR managed outcome for this where did Essendon sit in that chain, both Labour and the AFL had used them extensively.

She was behind the Tracy mother ads that attacked workchoices while Howard was in govenment.

Some guessing for sure, but leaves you wondering a little.

PR manager linked to Labour, The AFL, and Essendon, you'd wonder if they had a PR managed outcome for this where did Essendon sit in that chain, both Labour and the AFL had used them extensively.

She was behind the Tracy mother ads that attacked workchoices while Howard was in govenment.

Some guessing for sure, but leaves you wondering a little.
I read that thinking of the 'Essendon mother' forgetting her name was Sarah.

How did she do that though? I was after examples.
- Advising Hird at initial press conference to accept full responsibility.
- Advising the club that an internal investigation (ie Switkowski report) be performed and publicly released was good for public perception.
- Advising the club and Hird to remain gagged last season.

All things that have caused serious public image issues for EFC and Hird and allowed rumour and innuendo to fester. For a public relations/media communications expert they are a series of very bad choices for her supposed employer when previously she had made many good choices for previous employers.

They are all off the top of my head but I know there are more, I just don't have the time to dig them up right now.

- Advising the club that an internal investigation (ie Switkowski report) be performed and publicly released was good for public perception.

All things that have caused serious public image issues for EFC and Hird and allowed rumour and innuendo to fester. For a public relations/media communications expert they are a series of very bad choices for her supposed employer when previously she had made many good choices for previous employers.

They are all off the top of my head but I know there are more, I just don't have the time to dig them up right now.
recommended strongly Hird stand down before the R3 Freo game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it is important to remember the context of any board room though. You think Collingwood never discusses Buckley? You think every board at every club agrees on everything???

So yep.. there might be 3 board members that don't agree with Hird coming back.. just like there are some posters on here that DO and DO NOT want him back. There were people who wanted to keep Sheedy and those who didn't.. there were people who wanted to keep Knights and those who didn't...

Yet another storm in a teacup created by an unrelenting media and driven by click revenue.

Yet another low point when watching so called 'analysts' watching a 2 min door stop midnight "interview" and trying to read between the lines. Hird basically is trying to politely get in his front door and SHOCK HORROR proclaims that he is "DEFINITELY" looking forward to returning to work in a month.. well thank god for that.. imagine if he wasn't happy about coming back to work..that would suck!!

The club needs to be stronger.. yet again they have pandered to the circus and now it just intensifies.. NO ONE other than Caro was demanding this answer.. but the club came out and made a song and dance about it.. now EVERYONE is interested again. And to those who think the firing of Hird will bring an end to it.. how sad. Caro will just move on to the next target and the next target.. Until the ASADA issue is put to bed.. nothing will be resolved. We don't entirely control when the ASADA thing finishes.. so we just have to grin and bear it.

When Hird is back in the box, the team is playing well and ASADA have been buried.. then it will lose its power and people will stop writing about it.

Agree completely. When will the club learn? We just keep on feeding the beast. Should just have a 100% media ban from the Chairman through to the toilet cleaner.

Source of this being her advice and not Hird's choice of wording? Besides, when you're senior coach and the supplements program which you organised and demanded turns into the farce it did, accepting responsibility is just PR 101. Hardly bad advice if she did give it and Hird shouldn't and surely wouldn't say these things if he didn't believe them...

LOL what? You're trying to tie the Switkowski report around her neck? If the board didn't issue an internal investigation into the serious of cluster*s that occurred, then the board would've been completely inept and would've learned jack s**t about what actually went wrong and how to prevent it happening again. And as for the public release, this same forum and Essendon supporters everywhere demanded to know what had happened with this porgram, how it was allowed to happen, who was responsible and what would been done to rectify it. Which goes into your last 'example'....

So you complain about the club being 'gagged' but when they actually do release something to us of substance, you complain? Lukin just can't win at all.

There's very good reason the club said nothing and Lukin or anyone else with half a brain, let alone qualifications and experience, would know that commenting and refuting events during a crisis situation where you don't know all the facts or what's happened is sheer stupidity. I seem to remember a certain statement released on the very day our players were issued SC notices saying the club says it was very unlikely we would receive any - see how stupid that was?

Not to mention the fact that if you pick and choose stuff to comment on, you give power to the content that you ignore.

For instance, you may refute 75 per cent of an article or be offended by it, but the remaining 25 per cent the general public members will look at and say "oh, they didn't refute that so it must be true" which continues on until you've drowned yourself.

It is far, far more practical to say nothing than to either selectively respond or respond to everything.

For a public relations/media communications expert they are a series of very bad choices for her supposed employer when previously she had made many good choices for previous employers.

Disagree entirely. She's just yet another scapegoat for people to tie the whole thing around certain individuals necks to protect others.

EDIT: since the Hird standing down in round three was mentioned, I have no problem with her suggesting that as an option to him, it's her job after all to present these options and every man, women and dog knew it was a realistic option. Did anyone find out that she suggested it as option? Did she force him to do anything? No. So I don't see how that is something practical to tie around her neck either.

Agree completely. When will the club learn? We just keep on feeding the beast. Should just have a 100% media ban from the Chairman through to the toilet cleaner.
I wrote to the club after Paul Little's interview earlier in the year when she turned around and wrote some more ******* tripe, basically saying as far as I'm concerned she's persona non grata at our club. Simple as that. The response was basically that we needed to start building bridges with the media again. Unfortunately it's impossible to do with a ******* maniac

I wrote to the club after Paul Little's interview earlier in the year when she turned around and wrote some more ******* tripe, basically saying as far as I'm concerned she's persona non grata at our club. Simple as that. The response was basically that we needed to start building bridges with the media again. Unfortunately it's impossible to do with a ******* maniac

There are plenty in the media to do that with. It is best that complete utensil-snaps be avoided. Purple, Caro and the furrowed brow should be ignored. It wouldn't hurt our brand and it can be made perfectly clear that we're not a political group we're an entertainment organisation that has public membership.

Source of this being her advice and not Hird's choice of wording? Besides, when you're senior coach and the supplements program which you organised and demanded turns into the farce it did, accepting responsibility is just PR 101. Hardly bad advice if she did give it and Hird shouldn't and surely wouldn't say these things if he didn't believe them...
It's definitely not PR 101 when you do not have any knowledge for what you are accepting responsibility. Hird believed he was doing the best for the club with the best advice, why have a media communications expert if you ignore their advice?

LOL what? You're trying to tie the Switkowski report around her neck? If the board didn't issue an internal investigation into the serious of cluster****s that occurred, then the board would've been completely inept and would've learned jack s**t about what actually went wrong and how to prevent it happening again. And as for the public release, this same forum and Essendon supporters everywhere demanded to know what had happened with this porgram, how it was allowed to happen, who was responsible and what would been done to rectify it. Which goes into your last 'example'....
Read again what I said. From my understanding it was her suggestion to put all findings and a version of the report in the public arena. This has been used against the club ad nauseum.

So you complain about the club being 'gagged' but when they actually do release something to us of substance, you complain? Lukin just can't win at all.

There's very good reason the club said nothing and Lukin or anyone else with half a brain, let alone qualifications and experience, would know that commenting and refuting events during a crisis situation where you don't know all the facts or what's happened is sheer stupidity. I seem to remember a certain statement released on the very day our players were issued SC notices saying the club says it was very unlikely we would receive any - see how stupid that was?

Not to mention the fact that if you pick and choose stuff to comment on, you give power to the content that you ignore.

For instance, you may refute 75 per cent of an article or be offended by it, but the remaining 25 per cent the general public members will look at and say "oh, they didn't refute that so it must be true" which continues on until you've drowned yourself.

It is far, far more practical to say nothing than to either selectively respond or respond to everything.
The whole point of a media communications expert is to pick and choose what to tell the media to portray the best image of the subject (in this case EFC) to the public. Most decent media communications experts will advise being proactive to maintain control of the media agenda. The advice to remain silent allowed the AFL and the media to run with their agendas for months. Crisis situations require clear thought, not to remain silent and bunker down. In fact remaining silent and bunkering down gives the impression that the club believes it's in crisis too, which only further perpetrates poor public image.

The whole point being that when she chose to release something it was in total contradiction to her supposed brief for a media communications/public relations expert. She could have 'won' by not being either (a) totally incompetent; or even worse (b) working on behalf of another entity against the interests of her employer. She could have 'won' by not suggesting the club remain silent, by not suggesting her employers release potential self-incriminating reports to the public, whether there was actually much grounds for incrimination or not.

EDIT: Regarding the club releasing statements saying they don't believe SC notices would be given: (a) What is wrong with the club saying that? (b) If there is something wrong with it, or Essendon's statements then that is more proof that a PR expert is important, not that Elizabeth Lukin was a good PR expert for Essendon.

Disagree entirely. She's just yet another scabegoat for people to tie the whole thing around certain individuals necks to protect others.
Like Hird?

Last edited:
EDIT: since the Hird standing down in round three was mentioned, I have no problem with her suggesting that as an option to him, it's her job after all to present these options and every man, women and dog knew it was a realistic option. Did anyone find out that she suggested it as option? Did she force him to do anything? No. So I don't see how that is something practical to tie around her neck either.
It is not her job to provide options, it's her job to provide a recommendation that will most likely result in positive public image.

Jesus, please don't try and defend her.

You can justify an anti-Hird position. You can even justify a pro-Evans position, although it's very difficult.

You cannot possibly justify a pro-Lukin position, to the extent that it's less justifiable than a pro-Dank or pro-Robinson position.

And most damningly of all, not realising after 5 ******* minutes a couple of weeks that the media silence was a disastrous mistake that needed to be changed immediately.

No one can be that s**t at their job, so she obviously wasn't working in Essendon's best interests, and therefore remains arguably David Evans' biggest black mark out of a list 100x longer than all the positive things he did for the club.

There's probably no better way to make me believe sections of the board don't want Hird to return than for the board to release a statement saying they unanimously support him

in all likelihood, sections of the board probably don't want Hird to return, but I think the board as a whole is probably smart enough to know that to remove Hird, as it currently stands, is to ensure their own heads are removed

And most damningly of all, not realising after 5 ******* minutes a couple of weeks that the media silence was a disastrous mistake that needed to be changed immediately.
That was by a very considerable margin the thing that most damaged our public standing early in the piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back