Preview Changes Vs Adelaide round 19

Remove this Banner Ad

He's better (on his day) than a lot of our fringe players, I guess that's what I mean.
If he were always on his day he'd still be at Footscray

He's more likely to come in for 5-6 games a season and have a bit of an impact than a lot on our list. Get rid of the absolute talentless scraps first.
I guess the thing with depth is that you want them to be able to perform on cue, regardless of if they play 2 games or 12.

Agree he's more likely than some on our list. Which says something about our list.

Can't believe they dropped Tunbridge and left McGinnity in. Trying hard and laying the odd tackle while doing sweet * all for most of the game should not get you a game every week, especially when finals are gone. Get the bigger sized mids that are young into the side and give them a run of games in the ones to develop them and see if they've got what it takes to be of use to us. Bout time they stood up and showed they want to make it.

I dont get the McGinnity hate.
He comes in for his last chance, and is in the top 8-10 players for us in the last 3 games or so.
What is Simpson supposed to do?
We need players that are physical, would tackle, provide pressure, and he has kicked the odd goal. He hasnt had any more clangers than most of our other players.
I think fans are using past performances to judge his current output.
He is a bit vanilla, but he is clearly never going to be a quarterback ala Hurn, or a Shuey type, but he can still be a valuable player!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont get the McGinnity hate.
He comes in for his last chance, and is in the top 8-10 players for us in the last 3 games or so.
What is Simpson supposed to do?
We need players that are physical, would tackle, provide pressure, and he has kicked the odd goal. He hasnt had any more clangers than most of our other players.
I think fans are using past performances to judge his current output.
He is a bit vanilla, but he is clearly never going to be a quarterback ala Hurn, or a Shuey type, but he can still be a valuable player!

Any ideas why Dalziell was delisted or you still trying to work that one out?

The idea that you keep playing talentless hacks because "they are doing their best and giving their all" is mediocre thinking ...

It's Dalziell thinking

I agree. But it does say a lot about our list that we have a lot of players who can't get a game in front of McGinnity who is an average player at best.

Watching McGinnity play it is clear he doesn't have the best skills but is at least prepared to play for the jumper and put his head over the ball. The same can't be said for some of our other players this season which is why he is still in the team.

I agree. But it does say a lot about our list that we have a lot of players who can't get a game in front of McGinnity who is an average player at best.

Watching McGinnity play it is clear he doesn't have the best skills but is at least prepared to play for the jumper and put his head over the ball. The same can't be said for some of our other players this season which is why he is still in the team.

Yep, understand.

I suspect I'd play for the jumper too. :)
The problem for me is players get judged against our expectations of them. McGinnity gets a pass just for effort and the fact he does a couple of things a week that are routine for more talented guys but a surprise for him.

Wellingham can play a game where he does more damage than McGinnity but be castigated cos he didn't do as much as his talent suggests.

It's why a Priddis divides opinion so much. If you delete from expectations 60% of the things required to be a very good mid. And then judge him on what's left, his effort is tremendous. But if you say the standard is a swan or a Mitchell then he's a poor imitation. Yeah, but he's the best we have ... And so on ...

Sometimes you've just gotta have a baseline talent set/physical make up for positions and say that anyone below that line, playing that position, can't ever take us there, so we move em aside, short term be damned.

That's my take on 182cm KP defenders and on Pat McGinnity... :)

Last edited:
First round pick, we've invested a lot in him.. what else could they do?

On his form he should obviously GTFO but the seasons shot regardless.

Tunbridge needs games at AFL level in order to develop from where he is now. Sheed has proven he can't impact at AFL level just yet.

Tunbridge also outperformed Sheed in a half last week.

If we could keep both in fine but dropping Tunbridge and not Sheed is, as I said, eye brow raising.

Tunbridge needs games at AFL level in order to develop from where he is now. Sheed has proven he can't impact at AFL level just yet.

Tunbridge also outperformed Sheed in a half last week.

If we could keep both in fine but dropping Tunbridge and not Sheed is, as I said, eye brow raising.

So is the fact Bennell was banished for like 6 weeks. But who knows the rationalizing behind this MC's decisions.

If it was up to me, i'd play them both as you said. I'm sick of seeing Tunbridge as a sub.

Come to think of it, i'm actually quite sick of how we even utilize our sub. It would have to be a contender for the least effective use of the sub in the league.

So is the fact Bennell was banished for like 6 weeks. But who knows the rationalizing behind this MC's decisions.

If it was up to me, i'd play them both as you said. I'm sick of seeing Tunbridge as a sub.

Come to think of it, i'm actually quite sick of how we even utilize our sub. It would have to be a contender for the least effective use of the sub in the league.
If I remember correct bennell in Simpsons words - Failed to complete some of the teams non negotiables . With his performance solid up until that point but maybe it was an off field issue !

Sheed in over Tunbridge is the biggest eye brow raiser for me.

Ditto..........

If, I repeat 'if', Tunbridge and Sheed are considered part of WCE plans for the future they should both be in the starting 21. In and out of a team and time spent as a sub aren't good enough if these guys are seen to have a future.

This will expose them to 'real game time' because I am sure that while my ars..... points to the ground our squad will battle to exert game time pressure at training.

So you can add Smith to the delisting pile - I currently have Smith, Brennan and Wilson as definites.
Would prefer Butler over Wilson in all honesty. I don't think the Blayne Train did much wrong in his games, it's just the club prefers Brown over him in both tall and small roles.

Obviously Hill is going to get a week or 2 to prove he should remain on the list. I don't think it will work out. I've never been convinced we can play both Hill and Lecras in the same team.

Multi-quote! LeCras is totally a midfielder now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back