Roast Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Still dumbfounded on what Fyfe has to do to get paid a free kick. It just wasn't last night but it's being happening all year. The bloke is held and rag doled at every contest and get's no help from the umpires.

Then you have a look at Joel Selwood, you can't even touch the bloke without getting a free kick

I seriously think the take on tom extended odds needs to be factored into an investigation of match fixing.

I've never publicly stated an issue with umpires before. I mostly believe in 'rub of the green' while hating the phrase...

This seemed so orchestrated. Even in the second half we got robbed with non calls. Even with pierce it should been 50 how close the Geelong players hovered before he moved off line!!!!

I don't think there's any actual under the table match-fixing going on, in our surveillance nanny-state the Umpires are too aware of how easily they could be caught pants down.

The truth is it's just bias; they're no different to the Vic-centric Commentary team. They get rigorous training in neutrality but just can't observe it on Match day. You can't put it down to the crowd because we get stinking howlers at our home games as well.

I'd be interested to hear what RTB has to say on Monday night 882; he typically watches the game 3-4 times after the match is over and will pick up the abhorrent inconsistencies. Sometimes you wish he had a mouth on him like Brad Scott ready to spit venom in the Post Match.

here's a thought, can anyone with the time and patience edit the pathetic frees that were given to geelong and then roll another segment with the unpaid frees to freo.

armed with this well edited footage it would be easy to campaign to have our whinging heard in a more public forum.
media producers are always looking for a story, and if we do their work and gather the evidence/footage I'm certain it'll gather some momentum .
in conjunction with a basic facebook and twitter campaign we could easily put it out into mainstream media.

I'll do the footage and host it somewhere. I won't start a social media push, but will do the first step.

I need our BF brother to upload the quarters to daily motion. Don't have the footage especially in 720p file size

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still dumbfounded on what Fyfe has to do to get paid a free kick. It just wasn't last night but it's being happening all year. The bloke is held and rag doled at every contest and get's no help from the umpires.

Then you have a look at Joel Selwood, you can't even touch the bloke without getting a free kick
Watch the Duffy highlight video on the afl website. Fyfe gets pulled to ground while trying to pick up the ball but no free kick.

I don't think there's any actual under the table match-fixing going on, in our surveillance nanny-state the Umpires are too aware of how easily they could be caught pants down.

The truth is it's just bias; they're no different to the Vic-centric Commentary team. They get rigorous training in neutrality but just can't observe it on Match day. You can't put it down to the crowd because we get stinking howlers at our home games as well.

I'd be interested to hear what RTB has to say on Monday night 882; he typically watches the game 3-4 times after the match is over and will pick up the abhorrent inconsistencies. Sometimes you wish he had a mouth on him like Brad Scott ready to spit venom in the Post Match.
90% of the football watching public are from Victoria. If Freo gets reamed by the umps, 90% of the football watching audience will think it is good for the game but about say 3% made up by Freo fans will feel ripped off. So long as the umps are good in the minds of 90% of fans then they will be judged as doing a good job. In the minds of some, this is Victoria's game and we are intruders.

I remember back when the AFL was created in the 80's, the umps were so blatantly biased. Eventually it took the WA state team (under the banner of the mob up the road) to win a premiership in spite of the one sided umpiring. We are clearly going to have to do the same. This weekend we came within 2 points of overcoming both the opposition and the umpires - we will have to get used to beating both the opposition and the umpires.

The umpires have been in love with Geelong now for the last 6 years. They're a protected species.

Bartel, Selwood, Christensen & Stokes constantly duck their heads and throw their heads back to draw frees and the umpires pay it every god damn time. Selwood is such a fvcking whiner when ever something doesn't go his way. He's so used to the special treatment he gets from the umpires and cries and complains when something doesn't go his way just like Ablett when he was at Geelong. He can't even handle being tackled or bumped without throwing a fvcking hissy fit. For all the talent he has, he sullies his game beyond recognition with the way he goes about his football. He sets a really bad example of how to conduct yourself as a player. Why does such a skillful player need to go about his footy the way he does? I can't respect him as a player. I acknowledge his ability but overall do not respect him as a player.

Stevie J is by far the biggest dickhead in the AFL. I loved watching your boys give it to him in that qtr final last year and in the game yesterday. It's obvious no-one in the Freo side has any respect for him and let him know all about it. He's a fvcking joke. He can dish it out but he can't take it. I remember in that qtr final last year how pissed off he was with Mundy for that punch in the sternum, as if he hasn't done that sort of thing 1000 times throughout his career. Good on Crowley for toweling him up yet again this game. I love watching Cowley stir that sh*thead up and knocking him around. Crowley must be telling him all game what a fvcking joke he is.

With that out of the way, the umpiring last night was a mother fvcking disgrace! I was absolutely irate! I lost my voice from yelling so much! That was perhaps the most biased umpiring I've ever seen. Geelong got free kicks for being breathed on while Freo were constantly scagged, held onto and time and time again unrewarded for their tackling and infact penalised for such, "high contact" BULLSH*T!

Lonnergan is the biggest scragger in the league and was practically molesting Pavlich the whole night and Pav didn't get a single free kick! Lonergan gets away with it more than any other defender in the league and the channel 7 geniuses wanna go on after the game about how under-rated he is? WHAT? OVER-fvkcing-rated more like it!

Even though you guys haven't been in great form lately, McPharlin was subbed out early in the game, Ballantyne was injured, Pav couldn't get a free kick to save his life, Mayne did next to nothing and the umpires were in Geelong's backpocket, you guys STILL nearly beat those glorified soccer players! Damn good effort! I hope you guys play those pack of cheating, diving, ducking, academy award winning actors in the finals and SMASH them! I'd love to see a repeat of last years qtr final!

Yes, obviously I have some anger issues. I apologise in advance if my overly-aggressive tone is off-putting to anyone. I'm just expressing how last nights game made me feel and how much I hate Geelong and the umpires.

Good luck in the finals guys! Collingwood don't care anymore so neither do I so I'm barracking for you guys for the rest of the season and in the finals!

Finally, Nat Fyfe is just awesome! Such a good player and so unfairly treated by the umpires! Crowley and Ballantyne get alot of hate but I absolutely love the way they go about it!

It's probably because your team is fully of sniping, cheating dogs.

Free kick parity is a notion held on to by fairly simple minds, with little understanding of the sport.

Posts like this is a shame.
Yes, I was bitter at the defeat, but I still held Geelong with high regards. They are a good team and have sustained performance for many years.
And they showed a lot of class earlier this season during Pav's 300 by the guard of honor as well, even when they no doubt had a sore defeat then.

Their supporters on the other hand can use some of the graciousness their team displayed IMO. To be fair, its the minority that comes in to troll, so I'll just say that you guys are giving your team and supporters a bad name.
I thought for a team with SJ who is often being biased against and pinged for the smallest of infringement, Geelong supporters may understand.
Guess not.

Anyway, NO. Fremantle is not a team of snipers because we got pinged and punished for the smallest of offenses, so we wouldn't have a chance to do any of it. Yes, Ballantyne does silly things (no unlike SJ), but he got pinged every single time. And most guys on this board think he deserved it too.

Your team had the favor of the umpire and played well enough to win. Good for you.
If you want to celebrate go do it in your own board instead of contaminating our with your rubbish.

===Clems Knee===
Ducking Frees given to Geelong in the first quarter: (time is remaining in quarter)
19.18 Duncan ducked
12.38 Bartel ducked
6.13 Selwood high free kick, when no high contact from Barlow???
5.24 Johnson ducked (pure duck)

Unusual 50/50s paid against Freo in the first quarter
16.05 illegal disposal against Pav
15.39 holding the ball against Suban, but Mackie was over the ball (WTF)
11.46 Johnson dived to get push in the back against Crowley
8.21 Johnson kicks Neale in the head, gets free kick (HUH?)
7.22 Hawkins wrestles McPharlin, contacts his head then appeals for a free and gets it.

2.45 Selwood gets free kick for tripping, but there was no contact to legs
0.54 Blicavs gets free kick against Clarke for holding the arm.

50/50s or clear frees that weren't paid to Freo in the first quarter
18.05 Fyfe dragged down after disposal by Guthrie. Play on
15.48 contact to Croziers head by Mackie. Play on
14.12 Loneragan incorrect disposal when under pressure by Pav. Play on.
14.02 Murdoch fends, turns under tackling pressure but is not paid holding the ball
6.19 Fyfe held by Stokes after disposing of the ball. Play on.
4.46 Barlow pushed in the back. Play on. (wow..)
4.37 Clarke pushed in the back out of contest by Taylor. No free kick.

3.49 Johnson illegal disposal of ball when under pressure. Play on.
2.21 Pearce grabbed when not in possession. ball up.
0.38 contact to Subans head when he was on the ground. play on

=======================================

I've gone over the first quarter and will go with footage of the cases in bold

I think theres worse in the second and third quarter to be honest. Howlers that lead to more goals.

But a good start for a compilation of "please explain?"

Devil's advocate here but wouldn't the argument be that the umpires are human and do make mistakes. A couple of iffy free kicks to freo will then be given as example. You need a prepared riposte for this. Perhaps having already gone over favourable fremantle decisions, showing the numbers, then showing a statistically significant difference perhaps using a t-test (correct if Im wrong, I'm guessing a bit here).
By the by I'm too lazy to do any real work myself.

Getting a bit more complex but the real guts of it comes down to examining each 50/50 decision and disproving it by showing that it never really was a 50/50.

Last edited:
In the video I'll put core stats and then if you notice I discounted a whole bunch of proposed decisions against us.

I'm not sure what showing ones that went our way as well would accomplish. Beside weakening the idea we were jipped.

Maybe I could show the questionable ones we got.. but out of 11 it couldnt be much!!

This excercise = therapy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back