MCG may be football-free next July

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only concern is what's in it for the soccer clubs. These top 10 European clubs can all draw huge crowds in the US (as they just did with 110k in Michigan) or in Asia (as they've been doing for years). And those fans are probably more likely to be converted to people who buy guernseys and stay as contributing fans. It's also more likely at least in the US they can sell the tickets for more money per head. And bigger TV revenue. Plus the travel is less.

So why Australia? How much are the Government paying for these guys and what percentage of the gate money do they keep?

I'll gladly have the G unavailable for these teams if the MCC is making good money and the Government is getting a return on their investment. But if this is like the Grand Prix and it costs us millions to get the rights to it then it's not worth it.

You are aware Vic cricket is looking for somewhere, anywhere to call home.

Domestic and international cricket is played at the MCG. The MCG is first and foremost a cricket ground and it's as simple as that. The AFL insist on starting the season earlier and earlier now because they have expansion clubs/extra rounds/byes. They are in fact the ones "hijacking" the end of the cricket season if we want to go down that road.

My only concern is what's in it for the soccer clubs. These top 10 European clubs can all draw huge crowds in the US (as they just did with 110k in Michigan) or in Asia (as they've been doing for years). And those fans are probably more likely to be converted to people who buy guernseys and stay as contributing fans. It's also more likely at least in the US they can sell the tickets for more money per head. And bigger TV revenue. Plus the travel is less.

So why Australia? How much are the Government paying for these guys and what percentage of the gate money do they keep?

I'll gladly have the G unavailable for these teams if the MCC is making good money and the Government is getting a return on their investment. But if this is like the Grand Prix and it costs us millions to get the rights to it then it's not worth it.
Out of the 95,500 at the Liverpool v Victory match, 35,000 were from Interstate/overseas. The amount of money spent on that match would have been a pittance compared how much was put into the Melbourne/Victorian economy.

Its not just Gate takings. Its Hotels, Pubs, restaurants, bars, Cafes, Shopping.....

How much money does the AFL contribute to the MCG out of their own pocket?

The MCG is on Crown Land, the Northern Stand development and the Great Southern Stand refurbishment was funded by the MCC and the Victorian Government. The AFL didn't pay a cent. It's just a tenant.

I'd say the MCC and the Victorian Government are well within their rights to try and extract the maximum possible return on their investment.

I guess we know when the Bye round will be then....

And on the stadium debate, if it wasn't for the failed Olympic bid for the 1996 games (and the Commonwealth Games held in 2006) the GF and the big games would be at Waverley.

The AFL don't own the stadium pal. Stop making up ridiculous demands I.E compo.
july is the middle of the AFL season. the MCG is what it is today because of the AFL.
you think the cricket and a few soccer & rugby games pays for the hundard's of millions in upgrades to the the MCG. the Victorian government chips in with next to stuff all funding for the ground

they can play the soccer tournament at the MCG, but what gives the right to interfere with the AFL season

july is the middle of the AFL season. the MCG is what it is today because of the AFL.
you think the cricket and a few soccer & rugby games pays for the hundard's of millions in upgrades to the the MCG. the vic government chips in with next to stuff all

they can play the soccer tournament at the MCG, but what gives the right to interfere with the AFL season
Because the MCG is the best stadium in the country. Why wouldn't they want to play there?
in the middle of the AFL season. the sport that pretty much raises the money for the up grades to the MCG.
they can play it but not so it interferes with the season

you think the cricket and a few soccer & rugby games pays for the hundard's of millions in upgrades to the the MCG. the Victorian government chips in with next to stuff all funding for the ground

Yeah because it's entirely feasible that they're going to stop their domestic competitions in the middle of January to play an exhibition tournament out here.

As if the MCC would turn down three 90k+ guaranteed crowds regardless of when it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah because it's entirely feasible that they're going to stop their domestic competitions in the middle of January to play an exhibition tournament out here.

As if the MCC would turn down three 90k+ guaranteed crowds regardless of when it is.
when is their domestic season played?

the AFL is the one that really should be the one giving the final tick or cross of approval as to weather soccer tournament goes a ahead as its in the middle of their season, they generate virtually all the money for the MCG, to make it the stadium it is, so it attacks exhibition games

when is their domestic season played?

the AFL is the one that really should be the one giving the final tick or cross of approval as to weather soccer tournament goes a ahead as its in the middle of their season, they generate virtually all the money for the MCG, to make it the stadium it is, so it attacks exhibition games
Their season is August until April. There is an incredibly small window for this.

you think the cricket and a few soccer & rugby games pays for the hundard's of millions in upgrades to the the MCG. the vic government chips in with next to stuff all

in the middle of the AFL season. the sport that pretty much raises the money for the up grades to the MCG.
they can play it but not so it interferes with the season

Three games scheduled over the space of a few days is hardly an interference to the season. The AFL will just have a bye round and schedule the two or three Victorian games that weekend at Etihad. No big deal.

The MCC have every right to earn as much money as they can, and the Victorian sporting public shouldn't be denied access to any top level sport for the sake of putting the AFL at a minor inconvenience for a weekend.

The AFL makes more money as a percentage out of football at the MCG than the MCC. The public funds the MCC through ticket sales, the MCC and the Government (taxpayer) funds the capital development, the MCC funds day-to-day running expenses. The AFL funds nothing.

Look, it's plain & simple the AFL contributes solely the largest amount of money year in year out as the biggest earning sport in town to both the Victorian economy and the MCC by way of their leasing agreement as that the league should always get first preference, so for both the state government and the MCC to backdoor them and set this up without consultation is an insult to their biggest moneymaker, the AFL should feel pissed.

That is not even including the presumption of both the FFA and international clubs participating that they can so easily encroach on the AFL season as they have, i could only imagine what the answer would be if the AFL ever dared to request a promotional match to be played at Old Trafford in the midst of the EPL season, HA!

Not against these matches being played there but it should be mid week and not in direct interference with the local sports current season, thats just disrespectful.

Look, it's plain & simple the AFL contributes solely the largest amount of money year in year out as the biggest earning sport in town to both the Victorian economy and the MCC by way of their leasing agreement as that the league should always get first preference, so for both the state government and the MCC to backdoor them and set this up without consultation is an insult to their biggest moneymaker, the AFL should feel pissed.

That is not even including the presumption of both the FFA and international clubs participating that they can so easily encroach on the AFL season as they have, i could only imagine what the answer would be if the AFL ever requested a promotional match to be played at Old Trafford in the midst of the EPL season, HA!

Not against these matches being played there but it should be mid week and not in direct interference with the local sports current season, thats just disrespectful.
The world is not run by the AFL. Real Madrid has millions more fans alone than the entire AFL. They are the ones who say when they will play, not the FFA OR AFL.

The world is not run by the AFL. Real Madrid has millions more fans alone than the entire AFL. They are the ones who say when they will play, not the FFA OR AFL.

I couldn't care less how big they are internationally here they are on the AFL's turf and by way of professionalism should show the proper respect by at least consulting with them.

Wrong. The reason it's a world class stadium is because Australian football utilises it. If the world game wants it, then pay Australian football clubs compo. Otherwise buzz off. AFL is the ONLY reason it's as big and as new as it is.
Yes of course, like I said, it's the reason it's called the Melbourne Cricket Ground. heck me, did you skip prep through to year 7 at school? Learn to read. The SCG as well as AO are Cricket grounds, built for cricket and occupied by Football during the off season. Why is it you think that the AFL can't start any earlier than late march/early april?

That is not even including the presumption of both the FFA and international clubs participating that they can so easily encroach on the AFL season as they have, i could only imagine what the answer would be if the AFL ever dared to request a promotional match to be played at Old Trafford in the midst of the EPL season, HA!

Not an accurate comparison. The football clubs own their stadia in the UK in the most part. They would no less host a club from here than AFL clubs would host a club from there.

It'd be more like, say, the AFL going to the Surrey Cricket Board wanting to put on an exhibition match at The Oval. Which has only happened about 50 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back