MCG may be football-free next July

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll be a weekend. Not the whole of July. A game on Friday night and Saturday night, with another game on Tuesday. Most likely will be on when the bye round is on.

It'll be a weekend. Not the whole of July. A game on Friday night and Saturday night, with another game on Tuesday. Most likely will be on when the bye round is on.
Are you sure?

The article says 3 matches to be played ay the MCG in July. May be more than just 1 weekend.

Presumably the AFL will be entitled to compo if whatever this soccer thing is breaches their contracts. If soccer pays, fine. Be prepared for the usual suspects claiming interference if the AFL refuse to roll over.
It's footy's ground, footy pays for it. If soccer wants to encroach, soccer should pay.

Presumably the AFL will be entitled to compo if whatever this soccer thing is breaches their contracts. If soccer pays, fine. Be prepared for the usual suspects claiming interference if the AFL refuse to roll over.
It's footy's ground, footy pays for it. If soccer wants to encroach, soccer should pay.

Actually it's the Victorians taxpayers' ground

...anyway I hate how soccer tries to impose itself on countries where it is not number 1 to try and bustle out the preferred sports.

Hmm... tricky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They said a Saturday, Tuesday and Friday on Ch9 news. So maybe no footy at the G on the first weekend then a Sunday game on the second weekend.

Week 1: Rich (away), Coll (away), Melbourne (NT), Hawthorn (Tassie)
Week 2: Rich (Etihad), Coll (Sunday MCG), Melbourne (away), Hawthorn (away)

Hardly a big deal. The MCG likely gets 80k+ at all 3 games and a big profit they can maybe spin in to compensating the AFL and teams in other ways. Heaven forbid maybe lower the price of food and drink!

...anyway I hate how soccer tries to impose itself on countries where it is not number 1 to try and bustle out the preferred sports.
You have to if you want to grow a game. The AFL doesn't expand by going into markets it's already strong in.
"Hey, let's expand the AFL to new markets. How bout another inner city Melbourne club!"

You have to if you want to grow a game. The AFL doesn't expand by going into markets it's already strong in.
"Hey, let's expand the AFL to new markets. How bout another inner city Melbourne club!"
Yet bigfooty majority wants us gone and folded to expand into Tasmania. Imagine all the new afl fans!!

How is it trying to impose itself? The MCG sold out last time a big international club played there, seems pretty clear that there's a market for certain teams to tap into and make money from.

Are you sure?

The article says 3 matches to be played ay the MCG in July. May be more than just 1 weekend.

They could play the games midweek and nothing from the AFLs perspective would be effected at all.

Hate to tell you, it's actually the Melbourne Cricket Ground, so Cricket are the main occupants. And since it's a major international events stadium, the management can rent it out to whoever they bloody well like as long as their bills are being paid. If I'm in Australian when the ICC is being played, I'll be trying to get into every game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back