MCG may be football-free next July

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be 3 games, i can't imagine it will take up a whole month, why would anyone go to these exhibitions? They will pack it out of course, but i hope Gilligan shows some balls and stands firm with the AFL's main ground being available at all times. The AFL should schedule extra matches at the G in July...

Hate to tell you, it's actually the Melbourne Cricket Ground, so Cricket are the main occupants. And since it's a major international events stadium, the management can rent it out to whoever they bloody well like as long as their bills are being paid. If I'm in Australian when the ICC is being played, I'll be trying to get into every game!

1. Its just a name only. Cricket hasnt been the major occupant since the turn of the century.
2. yes its a major events stadium, however its contracts give the AFL priority access during the period march to first week in October until 2037. See comments made during the World Cup Saga. The AFL does have to occasionally give up the right to use the MCG if another major event comes along, but whether that extends for a month is another story.

With the start of the season hijacked by cricket, this is the last thing the game needs.

This is where the problem will be, if cricket is hijacking the start of the season, then the middle of the season might pose some fixturing difficulties for the league.

The world is not run by the AFL. Real Madrid has millions more fans alone than the entire AFL. They are the ones who say when they will play, not the FFA OR AFL.

yeah the world isnt, but the MCG is under contract. Something the FFA continually tries to skirt around. Maybe they can try to get the ground nationalised, like they tried with docklands.

So when Cricket is being played on a cricket ground it's classed as "hijacking the start of the season"?

How dare they!

yeah I mean god forbid the ground should be held to its contracts

Domestic and international cricket is played at the MCG. The MCG is first and foremost a cricket ground and it's as simple as that. The AFL insist on starting the season earlier and earlier now because they have expansion clubs/extra rounds/byes. They are in fact the ones "hijacking" the end of the cricket season if we want to go down that road.

Domestic cricket is barely attended, let alone played at the MCG. International cricket consists of less than 10 days a year, and combined they draw less tham 600,000 patrons. The MCG stages 45 AFL home and away games, then finals and then the Grand Final and will bring in nearly 3 million patrons a year. Every year since 1990, and will continue to do so until 2037 under its contract. Not some fly by night one off event.

They consult the ground operators, same as here.

Rubbish, both the EPL and Man U would be consulted on such an arrangement. Again, i am not against this coming to town but as its main tenant and high earner the AFL should have been consulted, to backdoor them is an insult

I couldn't care less how big they are internationally here they are on the AFL's turf and by way of professionalism should show the proper respect by at least consulting with them.
If you want a team that big to travel 18,000km you will schedule the game when they want, otherwise they won't come. The stadium will sell out and Melbourne v Bulldogs will get 15,000 people a few days later. The AFL can gagf.

Rubbish, both the EPL and Man U would be consulted on such an arrangement. Again, i am not against this coming to town but as its main tenant and high earner the AFL should have been consulted, to backdoor them is an insult

Man United own Old Trafford, they are the ground operators, of course they would be consulted. It would have nothing to do with the EPL.

I hate these former players who have no respect for other sports. Get off your high horse Barassi and come into the 21st century. Just because you're an old campaigner doesn't give you the right to act like a campaigner.
you know what you are talking about

lets face it, this tournament is bigger than the AFL so it should take priority, it will make more money than a few AFL matches at the same venue

you know what you are talking about

lets face it, this tournament is bigger than the AFL so it should take priority, it will make more money than a few AFL matches at the same venue

Any match between the big 5 or so clubs in Melbourne is bound to be a massive money earner too but duly noted these three matches would add enormous amounts to our economy, still why do they have to directly interfere with the AFL season when they could just as easily be played mid week?

1. Its just a name only. Cricket hasnt been the major occupant since the turn of the century.
2. yes its a major events stadium, however its contracts give the AFL priority access during the period march to first week in October until 2037. See comments made during the World Cup Saga. The AFL does have to occasionally give up the right to use the MCG if another major event comes along, but whether that extends for a month is another story.

This is where the problem will be, if cricket is hijacking the start of the season, then the middle of the season might pose some fixturing difficulties for the league.

yeah the world isnt, but the MCG is under contract. Something the FFA continually tries to skirt around. Maybe they can try to get the ground nationalised, like they tried with docklands.

yeah I mean god forbid the ground should be held to its contracts

Domestic cricket is barely attended, let alone played at the MCG. International cricket consists of less than 10 days a year, and combined they draw less tham 600,000 patrons. The MCG stages 45 AFL home and away games, then finals and then the Grand Final and will bring in nearly 3 million patrons a year. Every year since 1990, and will continue to do so until 2037 under its contract. Not some fly by night one off event.

If it were against the contract between the AFL and the MCC, then it would not be happening. The fact that it is happening indicates that it falls within the bounds of the contract. No amount of angry letters from AFL House would change that.

If it were against the contract between the AFL and the MCC, then it would not be happening. The fact that it is happening indicates that it falls within the bounds of the contract. No amount of angry letters from AFL House would change that.

The fact that is has been announced doesnt mean it necessarily fits within the bounds of the contract. My understanding is that the AFL actually has to release the weekends, not just have stuff scheduled in them and be told later. Whately believes the AFL barely knew anything about this before the announcement.

And if the AFl sat up and said um no we're exercising our rights to play matches at that time so screw you all, the Government couldnt do squat about it as far as Im aware. Again, see the World Cup saga. The fact that its only two weekends at most makes it manageable. If it was a month, I think we'd be in for "angry letters from AFL House".

when is their domestic season played?

the AFL is the one that really should be the one giving the final tick or cross of approval as to weather soccer tournament goes a ahead as its in the middle of their season, they generate virtually all the money for the MCG, to make it the stadium it is, so it attacks exhibition games

lol I know the AFL is run like a fascists state but f@ck me that's a ridiculous comment to make. Your acting as if the AFL run the laws of the land or something. The AFL have got nothing to do with it they should worry about the AFL and should not interfere with decisions of the state government.

Last edited:
The fact that is has been announced doesnt mean it necessarily fits within the bounds of the contract. My understanding is that the AFL actually has to release the weekends, not just have stuff scheduled in them and be told later. Whately believes the AFL barely knew anything about this before the announcement.

And if the AFl sat up and said um no we're exercising our rights to play matches at that time so screw you all, the Government couldnt do squat about it as far as Im aware. Again, see the World Cup saga. The fact that its only two weekends at most makes it manageable. If it was a month, I think we'd be in for "angry letters from AFL House".
The way I read the correspondence on this specific issue, it would appear that the MCC has a right in the agreement to host events and block out dates if the attendance is expected to exceed the capacity of Docklands.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...world-soccer-powerhouses-20140812-1039ym.html

The way I read the correspondence on this specific issue, it would appear that the MCC has a right in the agreement to host events and block out dates if the attendance is expected to exceed the capacity of Docklands.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...world-soccer-powerhouses-20140812-1039ym.html

Yeah, i've read it, still doesn't excuse the insult by the state gov and the MCC to backdoor their biggest contributer/client like they have done, just an all round lack of respect and professionalism.

Only where such dates are released by the AFL unless they fall during a period where the ground will not typically be used by the league (ie. during the week, or October to February). It is a condition of the renegotiation in 2002 that the AFl release dates for the hosting of major events where possible.

Only where such dates are released by the AFL unless they fall during a period where the ground will not typically be used by the league (ie. during the week, or October to February). It is a condition of the renegotiation in 2002 that the AFl release dates for the hosting of major events where possible.

Well weather or not he is right, it would appear Stephen Gough has a different view, otherwise he wouldn't have referred to specific clauses that he believes affirms the MCC's rights.

What would be great to see is the agreement itself.

Look, it's plain & simple the AFL contributes solely the largest amount of money year in year out as the biggest earning sport in town to both the Victorian economy and the MCC by way of their leasing agreement as that the league should always get first preference, so for both the state government and the MCC to backdoor them and set this up without consultation is an insult to their biggest moneymaker, the AFL should feel pissed.

That is not even including the presumption of both the FFA and international clubs participating that they can so easily encroach on the AFL season as they have, i could only imagine what the answer would be if the AFL ever dared to request a promotional match to be played at Old Trafford in the midst of the EPL season, HA!

Not against these matches being played there but it should be mid week and not in direct interference with the local sports current season, thats just disrespectful.

Disrespectful? Bugger off, the AFL did everything in it's power to stop the world cup from being played in Melbourne during the negotiation process and was pretty happy with itself.

But now that the big boys want to play it's going to be a giant bag of dicks for Gil & co. There is a clause that the MCG has in its contract with the AFL that allows it to tell the AFL it can't schedule a game on certain dates because the MCG has a reasonable expectation of filling the stadium. They've exercised this option and the AFL can't do much.

Nice to see them get a taste of their own medicine for once.

I'm going to especially enjoy the meldowns from all the bigots around the place who hate "wogball". (Y)

Last edited:
Yeah, i've read it, still doesn't excuse the insult by the state gov and the MCC to backdoor their biggest contributer/client like they have done, just an all round lack of respect and professionalism.

Hundreds of Millions, if not more, of Government money has gone into the development of stadiums and facilities for professional football clubs across the country over the past decade. The AFL has contributed a comparative pittance, derives significant benefits, pays no company tax and still wants everybody coming to them on their hands and knees.

Hundreds of Millions, if not more, of Government money has gone into the development of stadiums and facilities for professional football clubs across the country over the past decade. The AFL has contributed a comparative pittance, derives significant benefits, pays no company tax and still wants everybody coming to them on their hands and knees.

yes the 7 million a year the league pays for the Northern Stand until 2037 (for 280 million over the life of a stand that cost 400 million to build), after ponying up for the Great Southern Stand because the MCC couldnt afford it on their own, on the back of 65,000 AFL members and 3 million AFL attendees, plus hosting the AFL Grand Final for free (The NRL is paid 10 million for their event). No sir, the MCG doesnt benefit from the AFL at all.

what's the AFL gonna do about it? boycott the G? lol

welcome to the big swinging dicks of our soccer overlords

Well thats just a childish response now isn't it? The AFL has in the past threatened to host the GF elsewhere as a bargaining tool, don't see why they couldn't again

what's the AFL gonna do about it? boycott the G? lol

welcome to the big swinging dicks of our soccer overlords

No, but the AFL could be more inclined to take early ownership of Etihad Stadium than it is now, play out the minimum terms of its contract their (the afl is required to play 44 games per year, 12 of which have to be the highest drawing), plus at least one Prelim and the Grand Final, and guarantees at least 2 million a year in attendance (it currently pulls in about 2.5-3 million)

Well thats just a childish response now isn't it? The AFL has in the past threatened to host the GF elsewhere as a bargaining tool, don't see why they couldn't again

Its on a 40 year contract to the G until 2037

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back