The 'Recruit'

Surely you pick Saints or Demons as you are most likely to get a 4-5 yr career there.
Depends on the player though. If you are near AFL standard and a reasonable depth player then sure you'd pick a side like that and you'd get to hang around for quite a few years just how Richmond have had guys like Aaron Edwards etc.

But if you still think you've got a lot of development work to do you might pick a club that has a better record of developing players long term.

I know I said before it might be suspect if the player chooses Collingwood due to Eddie's role in the show. But at the same time they are rebuilding and clearly down on depth on their list. They're already have 2 players in Macaffer and Scharenberg who will be unlikely to play at all next year so room for rookie promotions. Senior players like Maxwell, probably Hudson, Lynch, Marty Clarke, maybe even Luke Ball going so that might mean a lot of kids who's form goes up and down or B or C grade type players getting games. But unlike Melbourne and St Kilda the Pies have a stronger development history and more to offer in other ways.

If Wagner wins, a 190cm athletic forward, then someone like Richmond might say our best structure is Riewoldt and Vickery and after that we don't have any other good medium forward goal kicking types besides Sam Lloyd who hasn't set the world on fire. We like to use Petterd and Lennon up the ground as utility types. We could see you come straight in and being our 3rd tall and a nice foil to those guys like how Paddy Ambrose has been at Essendon this year.

I'm not sure just being a bottom team with a weak list would be a strong selling point. I can't imagine the winner picking Melbourne unless no one else wanted them.

The winner of reality TV show The Recruit has the ability to choose his AFL club.

The winner of reality television show The Recruit will receive pitches from clubs which want to select him after AFL club recruiters place the crown on one of the final three contestants.

Clubs will vote 3-2-1 in a secret ballot before the winner turns the tables in the AFL-sanctioned draft — and The Recruit’s AFL Category B rookie contract won’t cost his team a draft pick.

After the winner is chosen, all clubs must decide to “draft” or “pass” and those wanting the player will form the pool of clubs he can choose from.

AFL scouts will today be briefed on the trailblazing format, which will take place at Crown on September 17 in front of a function filled with fans and attended by every club.

AFL clubs will today sift through match footage, GPS data, fitness testing statistics and interview the remaining hopefuls on the smash-hit FOX 8 show.

The winning recruit will be given time to consult his family before selecting which club to play for, where he must factor in the likelihood of breaking into a best 22, development and where to live.

Sounds like the clubs will basically decide who wins from the final 3 (through the voting system)

Wagner will surely win it
I was just reading the article about how the recruit gets to choose where he wants to play, which would mean Wagner will choose either Adelaide or the Power

Chris Moreland will choose a Vic club, Geelong likely because that where his from

James Hird to be coach of the recruit next year ;)

Is he planning to build up the recruits with special Chronotons and breed a team of atomic supermen?
AtomicSupermen.png

Don't really see the point in the players versing Shane Warne's all star team? If these guys are supposed to be challenging for a spot in a AFL teams best 22 surely they will just beat up on them like the previous games.

Interesting the AFL said today that the winner will be a category B rookie and the criteria for that is the player must be at least 20 years of age and not have been registered at an AFL, VFL, SANFL or WAFL club in the past two years. Under that criteria it means Johan Wagner would be ineligible to be a Cat B rookie because he has been playing for Central District this year in the SANFL.

Interesting the AFL said today that the winner will be a category B rookie and the criteria for that is the player must be at least 20 years of age and not have been registered at an AFL, VFL, SANFL or WAFL club in the past two years. Under that criteria it means Johan Wagner would be ineligible to be a Cat B rookie because he has been playing for Central District this year in the SANFL.
Not prior to registration for the show I'd imagine...

Depends on the player though. If you are near AFL standard and a reasonable depth player then sure you'd pick a side like that and you'd get to hang around for quite a few years just how Richmond have had guys like Aaron Edwards etc.

But if you still think you've got a lot of development work to do you might pick a club that has a better record of developing players long term.

I know I said before it might be suspect if the player chooses Collingwood due to Eddie's role in the show. But at the same time they are rebuilding and clearly down on depth on their list. They're already have 2 players in Macaffer and Scharenberg who will be unlikely to play at all next year so room for rookie promotions. Senior players like Maxwell, probably Hudson, Lynch, Marty Clarke, maybe even Luke Ball going so that might mean a lot of kids who's form goes up and down or B or C grade type players getting games. But unlike Melbourne and St Kilda the Pies have a stronger development history and more to offer in other ways.

If Wagner wins, a 190cm athletic forward, then someone like Richmond might say our best structure is Riewoldt and Vickery and after that we don't have any other good medium forward goal kicking types besides Sam Lloyd who hasn't set the world on fire. We like to use Petterd and Lennon up the ground as utility types. We could see you come straight in and being our 3rd tall and a nice foil to those guys like how Paddy Ambrose has been at Essendon this year.

I'm not sure just being a bottom team with a weak list would be a strong selling point. I can't imagine the winner picking Melbourne unless no one else wanted them.

Still think it is as simple as saying you are most likely to get a game in a poor side.

Aaron Edwards comparison is off imo as he played 100 games for North and dominates the VFL.

Matt Jones is a good example of a local talent getting a gig for Melbourne due to their poor form and finishing top 5 in a b and f. If he went to Cats he would have played 2 yrs of VFL and then been delisted.

Was very surprised Moreland wanted to trade Waylan for Jackal though. Jackal seems pretty well liked and always seems to go pretty well in the games, maybe there is a little dislike there or something?

I thought it was a good strategy from Moreland.

Jackal is easily the most popular guy in the series and a handy player. He chose Jackal because he knew he wouldn't get delisted, and ensured that one of the internationals would. Then Waylan said "yeah screw it, I'm done" and ruined his plan.

Just started watching this show tonight and it's entertaining despite having a few problems.

1. They shouldn't have included anyone over 24. It's just unrealistic that any AFL club would be interested in someone that age. AFAIK Podisadly is literally the only person in history to be drafted after age 24. Semmel and Jackal are very good players but are no chance. Rhys Maxwell is probably the best prospect on the show but at 25, even he will struggle.

2. Not enough actual footy.

3. International recruits should be on a separate show, they are just a distraction. 2-3 years away.

But anyway it is pretty clear that Johann Wagner and Maxwell are the 2 best prospects now that Waylan has gone, but given Maxwell's age, Wagner has to be the obvious favourite.

Last edited:
Did anyone notice when Brady was being interviewed by Huddo he said something about playing on Etihad Stadium, despite that segment being aired after the AFL 360 bit.

On another note. What the * has Shane Warne done to his eyes.

On topic. I think Brady will win. Most upside of all due to his height, the others are ammo/EFL players at best.

Just started watching this show tonight and it's entertaining despite having a few problems.

1. They shouldn't have included anyone over 24. It's just unrealistic that any AFL club would be interested in someone that age. AFAIK Podisadly is literally the only person in history to be drafted after age 24. Semmel and Jackal are very good players but are no chance. Rhys Maxwell is probably the best prospect on the show but at 25, even he will struggle.

2. Not enough actual footy.

3. International recruits should be on a separate show, they are just a distraction. 2-3 years away.

But anyway it is pretty clear that Johann Wagner and Maxwell are the 2 best prospects now that Waylan has gone, but given Maxwell's age, Wagner has to be the obvious favourite.
Nah Chris Moreland is a better prospect then Maxwell, couple of reasons. 1. His one year younger. 2. His a better player. 3. He knows the game and already skilled and developed.

Maxwell is well behind the 8 ball giving his age and knowledge of the game.

Manson is gone, hope the next time i see him is in a Collingwood jumper.

Back