Mega Thread Port v Freo discussion - all together now!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rain would be a killer for us. Sandilands would become a massive factor and we've already proven time and time again that we aren't a great wet weather side. Plus Freo's gameplan will only be aided by the weather.

The only positive would be that we have had 4 games in the wet in prep now, Adel, Ess, Syd and GC. That would hold us in good stead, plus we should have the advantage in midfield with Barlow and Fyfe out.

Pretty sure we beat Freo earlier this year when it had been raining all morning and only stopped about 30 minutes before the game.

Carlile will get first crack at Pav as Pav plays out of the goal square. Hombsch got Buddy because Buddy plays higher up the ground.

I would go:

Carlile - Pav
Impey - Walters
Jonas - Ballantyne
Trengove - Clarke
Hombsch - Mayne
Pittard - whoever.

Carlile - Pav
Impey - Ballantyne
Jonas - Mayne
Trengove - Clarke
Hombsch - Taberner
Pittard - Walters

Carlile - Pav
Impey - Ballantyne
Jonas - Mayne
Trengove - Clarke
Hombsch - Taberner
Pittard - Walters

I like it Macca, but is Jasper the right man for Walters? I wonder if he has the defensive mindset and concentration to contain such a smart small forward. I like Jasper a lot, but is that his role?

I think Pittard needs to start on him. My next option would be Broady and swap jasper into the +1.

This is all assuming that Impey does actually come into the side.

Barlow won't play hey?

Looks like he's already suiting up:

"STAR Fremantle on-baller Michael Barlow is set to make a brave bid to overcome the pain of a broken thumb to play in the critical clash with Port Adelaide in Perth on Saturday. It is understood that Barlow wants to resume playing ahead of schedule after scans revealed a hairline fracture in his thumb and that it is estimated he could play as long as he can withstand discomfort."

http://www.news.com.au/national/western-australia/michael-barlows-brave-bid-to-play-against-port-adelaide-despite-broken-thumb/story-fnii5thn-1227035685934

I hope you play him...
Only one bloke I can recall played well with a broken thumb and that was the late, great Darren Millane...
Not sure Barlow's in the same league...

big bodies firing for finals, will be test for Port, they seem to respond quite well to them :(

may the toughest team win :)

oh and there seems to be a lot of talk about the previous games and its effect on Saturday...

to quote our boss 'Ross' "This counts for nothing, the real season has begun"

If you guys can get your game rolling and we get ours, should be one of the modern game great spectacles

IMO to start

O'Shea - Taberner
Carlile - Pav
Hombsch - Mayne
Trengove - Clarke
Jonas - Ballantyne
Pittard - Walters

Jonas gets whoever plays best in first quarter out of Walters/ballas for mine.

Impey stays out. Trengove forward when he can.

The bureau says possible shower in the morning... There is zero chance the conditions will be half as bad as the Gold Coast game.
http://www.bom.gov.au/wa/forecasts/perth.shtml
Well there is a thunderstorm on friday...

At the start of the week they said no rain at all and now they say 90% chance of rain...

Its been perfect weather this week so far....but of course come saturday...there will be a flood that would sink noah's ark no doubt...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO to start

O'Shea - Taberner
Carlile - Pav
Hombsch - Mayne
Trengove - Clarke
Jonas - Ballantyne
Pittard - Walters

Jonas gets whoever plays best in first quarter out of Walters/ballas for mine.

Impey stays out. Trengove forward when he can.

Pittard to Walters hmmnm... You'd probably want someone to play pretty damn tight on Walters. Pittard is essential to our run, carry, create off half back game plan and i reckon we'd lose a lot of that drive by giving him a shut down job.

I think Impey has to come in and Hinkley has flagged that by resting him last week

Pittard to Walters hmmnm... You'd probably want someone to play pretty damn tight on Walters. Pittard is essential to our run, carry, create off half back game plan and i reckon we'd lose a lot of that drive by giving him a shut down job.

I think Impey has to come in and Hinkley has flagged that by resting him last week

Yeah but when Pittard starts running forward, will Walters be able to go with him...

I don't think so.

Latest forecast from the Perth weather bureau:

Saturday 30 August
Summary
Min 12
Max 19
Possible shower.
Perth area
Cloudy. Medium chance of showers, most likely in the morning. Winds west to southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h becoming light during the morning.

Maybe that explains Freo's fast start last time up.

We kicked the first goal and led at 1/4 time.

Im not too concerned if its wet. If it turns into a dog fight then im pretty confident that we can perform.

I think it is playing russian roulette putting your best rebound defender on arguably the most damaging forward.

That's where your team mate(s) need to roll back and provide cover.

With showers and thunderstorms looking very likely on Saturday,I'd be surprised if you guys continue with your normal style of play.I can guarantee you,Fremantle in wet & slippery conditions will be a total different proposition than GC17 were in the wet a couple of weeks ago.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409189779.808624.jpg

3 inches of rain fell when we played GC. It probably won't even rain this Saturday going by the official forecast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back