Autopsy Fremantle vs Port Adelaide - Freo beat Port by 8 - Positives and Negatives

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives
- Came back and kept it on the throat- 9 goals unanswered. This slick football is unlike Lyon.
- Forward line working well. Tabs leading away from Pav which probably was the lesson from the Geelong game, 3 on 1 never again.
- Lesser lights. Mzungu and Dawson (although Schulz did get six, 3 in junk time)- standing up when counted
- 100+ points
- Another top 4 team- hardened us up for the finals nicely.

Negatives
- MJ looking sloppy and slow. Hopefully extra physio work and relaxation will help
- Suban is out for Fyfe- shame as his grunt and first in was the difference last season.

the biggest positive for me is that we are finally capable of piling on goals quickly.
Taberner coming good is just so huge. And don't underestimate how well Clarke is dragging a good defender off the contest either. Ross mentioned that in his presser. Will Walters and Balla in good form, Mayne the wrecking ball and Crozier lively its a whole new dynamic down there.

That plus most of our team are hitting reasonable form. Spurr is back and Sutty just kills his man and runs off all day.
I didn't think we had the forward line to challenge for the flag a month ago but I do now.

+
second consecutive top four finish
nine consecutive goals that hadn't looked likely in the first half that set up the win
Fyfe returns to bolster the midfield, rested, shoulder give time to settle
wet weather forecast in Sydney next weekend
gamble to not play SCNOS paid off

_
question mark over Johnson

Pos- dawson's last month has been his best for the club. A few game changing spoils helped out our defence
Pavs contest on the wing.
Taking out scos for ibbo cos they only have three tall ppl in their team.
Sutty
Neale when sent to gray
Tabby cat
D pearce and l spurr set up half of our goals.
Neg- johnno moved like lance whitnall
Fyfe didnt play

Anyone who gives d pearce crap has rocks in their head. He is a very very very important cog for us. He was our link between sutty/ibbo/spurr/duff/johnno and pav/walters/tabs/ballas all day. Kicked well, pressured well.

Thought he was far and away our best player in the first half, tipped him to redeem himself today and he delivered. If Pearce is confident and playing good footy in September it will be a huge bonus for us. He was very meh last year and that's probably being generous.

They didn't expect Pav to go to the centre bounce, Kane Cornes was standing Pav while Hill went nuts and then later Cornes standing Pav in the forward line with no chance to play key defender.

They didn't cope with that play very well and we laughed all the way to the scoreboard.

Had to watch the game in bits and pieces but was a really enjoyable contest. We covered for Fyfe okay in the middle. Neale had a couple of purple patches. Pav's impact was decisive. One of his goals was kicked from the goalsquare after starting for the bounce in the centre square. Hopefully the shape of our forwardline now will stop people suggesting Fyfe be moved there.

Love watching the way Dawson gears up for finals.

Negatives: Pav into the middle. Surely a sign of a coach with no idea on game day. :rolleyes:

Positives: At least 20 roos on the road on the way home and missed every one.

Negatives: Pav into the middle. Surely a sign of a coach with no idea on game day. :rolleyes:

Let's wait until he plays a whole season at his greatest ever playing weight before we start bringing out the knives.

I know you're not equating this to Pav going into the middle in bursts during a year where he's played 99% time forward though because that would just be silly Reg.

Did like the roo dodging bit though.

I agree with everyone’s points good game but our defence still looks a bit shakey.

I think this is the first time this season that Sandi elected to kick after taking a mark. Maybe the sign of confidence? Or did no body provide any handball option? Either way when Sandilands is taking marks I am happy, and we seem to play well.

Bring on Sydney! :)

Let's wait until he plays a whole season at his greatest ever playing weight before we start bringing out the knives.

I know you're not equating this to Pav going into the middle in bursts during a year where he's played 99% time forward though because that would just be silly Reg.

Did like the roo dodging bit though.
Wot, me be facetious?

Just having a crack, I can't help myself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

areyouawizard.png

If you asked me a couple years ago if we could win top flight games without Macca, Sandi, Pav and Jonno I would be struggling to see how.

Yet, here we are with the latter 3 having played their roles without ever being dominant. Instead it was the next generation of leaders and kids who dug in. Considering that our best player (another youngen) was out these last few weeks have been immense for the club IMO.

I would just like to say that Mayne was massive for us today. I'm reckon he is back. I am looking forward to ferocious pressure next week. Sydney won't know what is going on until the second qtr at which stage it will be over. put to bed this we only played half a Sydney last year. feeling very confident.

If you asked me a couple years ago if we could win top flight games without Macca, Sandi, Pav and Jonno I would be struggling to see how.

Yet, here we are with the latter 3 having played their roles without ever being dominant.
Instead it was the next generation of leaders and kids who dug in. Considering that our best player (another youngen) was out these last few weeks have been immense for the club IMO.

Pavlich and Sandilands were both instrumental in the win.

Was handy to win without the other 2 though.

+ Taberner's first quarter...and his subsequent three quarters but his first quarter was truly something.
+ Ballantyne's response after half time
+ Mundy's response after half time
+ Nostalgia seeing Pav line-up in the middle, bust a few tackles and get a clearance
+ Being able to find yet another gear against one of the best 4 sides in the competition at their best
+ Lachie Neale brilliant
+ Keeping form and have a 7 day break
+ Mayne is back
+ Sydney game means I will get to see Freo play a second time this year/3 week period

- Johnson injury concerns
- Sandi looks a bit proppy albeit with strong hands again
- Nostalgia seeing an away team climb their way back into a game that we had pretty much won

Just wanted to chuck in a couple points.

I rate Neale massively and he was good again.
I couldn't believe how good Pav was today (he had just seemed to be aging the last few times I've seen him), he seriously was running around unchecked at times. I have no idea how that happened from our end but from a Freo perspective it just showed he's really truly up and about.
And lastly Taberner was pretty darn impressive. Reminded me of Westhoff in his first few games, but with a bigger frame.

On the rotations though, what you may not have noticed was that Port structured up all game for that final quarter run and we had something like 15 extra interchanges than Freo left at 3 qtr time. It was clearly a tactic of ours to stay close and overrun you and it almost worked, but your 3rd qtr was too good and Balla gave Impey the lesson I thought he might. So while you guys may dismiss it as taking the foot off it was more that we actually planned for that and you guys burnt your changes earlier to try and win it early, but that almost could've been a terrible strategy so it was very interesting to watch that unfold.

Good luck in the finals, I cheered you home last year and if we don't make it I'll be hoping you guys finally win some silverware.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back