Port wearing away strip - now ok to wear prison bar jumper - AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

It can't be that hard:
Every team gets a home jumper of whatever colours they want (that's not another teams obviously)
Every team should have 2 away jumpers. One is dark. One is light. If they need to have added black or white than so be it. If your home jumper doesn't cause a clash than wear it.

If teams like Hawthorn and Adelaide have white in their light away guernseys than I can't see why Richmond don't for when their black kit won't do.

Stupid as it is that Port can't just wear their normal uniform, even stupider is a solution to have them wear a uniform that makes them look like another team.

Yes I know, history, prison bars, yada yada yada, fact is Collingwood had that uniform in this competition a hundred years before Port did.
This.
If they are running around in the prison bar strip then to me that is not Port.
I would rather see them in their white strip than prison bars.

Port have to jump through a myriad of hoops every time they want to wear the prison bars and now the AFL decides at 5 day's notice that they can wear it for a final? Blatant attempt by the AFL to dig themselves out of an embarrassment of their own making. If I was Port I'd tell them to stick it and say we'll wear the bars when we want to, not when it's convenient for you.

Yeah it makes a mockery of every other time they wanted to wear it but couldn't.

Back then it was all about branding, differentiation of colours blah blah blah.

Now suddenly it's fine.

Hmmm, I wonder what's missing from the equation this time .....

maguire-still16x9-408x264.jpg

Collingwood miss the finals for the first time in almost a decade.

AFL finds a way to let them in anyway.

This whole thing is going to be a massive distraction all week and end up a giant cluster ****.

Big rush to get the jumpers made, then what if they don't show up in time? Or show up late Saturday and don't fit, or are the wrong colour or the numbers don't fit or any other myriad of things that could go wrong? Do Richmond bring their clash strip just in case?
dont worry the afl braintrust have plan c just in case, port will borrow the crows jumpers and the tigers will be skins with gill putting the numbers on the tiger players backs with texta 5 minutes before the bounce, problem solved... :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood do have a great clash strip. They keep it simple the colours stay they same and they are just inversed not sure why Richmond would not do that

been said already, but our inversion is the WAFL SoO jumper.

its not confirmed, but i was told previously WAFL having the IP on the design was a roadblock to us using it (cannot say 100% fact)

we are using this now in the VFL as our away jersey, with speculation here its allowed because it will never be used against a WA team

its not confirmed, but i was told previously WAFL having the IP on the design was a roadblock to us using it (cannot say 100% fact)

we are using this now in the VFL as our away jersey, with speculation here its allowed because it will never be used against a WA team

I have no idea how the WAFL can own the design, the sashes aren't even the same. Mero may know more.

The WAFL does not even use the design and SoO is dead anyway

I have no idea how the WAFL can own the design, the sashes aren't even the same. Mero may know more.

Im assuming its because it was a design managed by the WAFL well prior to the creation of the AFL, so they would own the rights. I forget when the clubs had to transfer the rights of their kit (and name and logo) to the AFL, but I think it wasnt that long ago

The WAFL does not even use the design and SoO is dead anyway

yes, that doesnt change ownership rights (assuming they are in place)

If the WAFL wanted to block any move to use it, they would simply have to argue they are retaining the rights for if/when SoO returns

so you haven't watched a few recent GF's then.

match-day strips are an issue.

what's required is effective and consistent policy, not one for the 'VFL' matches, but then a separate one for AFL vs VFL, and AFL vs AFL matches.

if Port were Carlton, headquarters would not have made the original ruling. they certainly wouldn't have ordered Carlton to wear their alternative jersey, even though there are similarities between the jerseys.

inconsistency and hypocracy at its finest, and the AFL deserve all the negative attention they get. their regulations of match-day uniforms in general are an absolute joke.

same with the ANZ fiasco with and the ground surface. a stadium that gets used 99% of the time from April to August exclusively by the Swans with a surface that gets little traffic and isn't cut up 3 times a week is left to sit vacant for another weekend.

and after the poorly hadnled Essendon BS from last year, we go into another series where administration **** ups overshadow the game.
Freo have white in their normal strip, so do the Swans. I've seen the past two Grand Finals, no problem. My objection is we see teams who do NOT have white in their normal colour scheme being forced to wear a ridiculous white away strip that takes away the identity of that club playing. A few weeks ago we had Brisbane, Adelaide and GWS playing and they all looked exactly the same on TV! Predominately white with some squiggly cartoon character on the front, i had no idea who was who? This issue this week is detracting from should be a great game, Richmond have a perfectly good and identifiable away strip, but some idiot at the AFL won't allow them to use it even though they have since 2010!!!! It's utter madness!

yes, that doesnt change ownership rights (assuming they are in place)

If the WAFL wanted to block any move to use it, they would simply have to argue they are retaining the rights for if/when SoO returns
But why would they not just wear their current SoO jumper they use at under 18 level

He doesn't.
I would say it would have more to do with member's acceptance than the AFL's acceptance.
But I have no inside information on it.

But why would they not just wear their current SoO jumper they use at under 18 level

because "its theirs"

people get protective about this stuff, esp when it represents their heritage. To be fair to the WAFL, that jumper is tied to a lot of their history

if this is a genuine roadblock, you would hope the AFL could persuade them around given the issues against the WCE this season. I'd hate for us to be yet another club forced to have a white with cartoon animal jersey (personally I think they should all be burnt)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back