Preview National Draft discussion (Picks 14, 35, 43, 58)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding Daniel, i wonder if he will be able to bulk up like Harvey or will he stay a twig?

His height may be an advantage given his playing style, could get even more frees than Wright and he's spent his whole life evading bigger players so once ball is in hand there's no issue.

Won't be seen in defence so as long as we don't aim to bomb it on his head Betts style he should be able to counteract his obvious weakness.

I may get shot down here...

Dont get me wrong, Ahern looks elite. He is so clean with the ball, always seems to make good decisions and is a great finish for goal, but for me, he really seems to be lacking that top end pace that we need so badly. He's quick off the first 3 or 4 steps to breakaway, but from what ive seen so far, his top speed is lacking a touch

What? did you see the under 18 championships... He played the first two games or so as a winger and he was amazing their then he moved forward and played as a flanker

U18%20Champ%20Banners10-aug.jpg

"Ahern could be selected in the first handful at the draft, and he has plenty of fans amongst the clubs. There's an reason for that, because he has something that sets him apart - speed. Ahern is quick, and it gets him out of trouble and allows him to set up the play. The gap between his best and worst needs to shrink, but with his class around goal and the midfield, and ability to carry the ball, he can open a game up."

Could an eager beaver be interested in summarising the number of games and disposals of last years Top 10 picks???

I would be interested in the potential immediate benefits for our Club next year. Did Aish slide last year?

2013 first 10 picks.

1 Thomas Boyd Greater Western Sydney
2 Josh Kelly Greater Western Sydney
3 Jack Billings St Kilda
4 Marcus Bontempelli Western Bulldogs
5 Kade Kolodjashnij Gold Coast
6 Matthew Scharenberg Collingwood
7 James Aish Brisbane Lions
8 Luke McDonald North Melbourne
9 Christian Salem Melbourne
10 Nathan Freeman Collingwood

Could an eager beaver be interested in summarising the number of games and disposals of last years Top 10 picks???

I would be interested in the potential immediate benefits for our Club next year. Did Aish slide last year?

2013 first 10 picks.

3 Jack Billings St Kilda
You're back!!!!!!

2013 first 10 picks.

3 Jack Billings St Kilda

Games
120 overall
Average of 12 games per player
Average of 15 per player excluding Collingwood

Disposals

1958 total
Average of 195 disposals per player
Average of 244 disposals per player excluding Collingwood

6 of the 10 received rising star nominations
6/8 excluding Collingwood

Thanks for wasting half an hour of my life

Has there ever been a player that had a long and successful career at 167cm? Feel bad for the kid he has so much talent.
Can't he get some lifts?

tumblr_l4fkjxC7bp1qza49co1_500.png

What? did you see the under 18 championships... He played the first two games or so as a winger and he was amazing their then he moved forward and played as a flanker

U18%20Champ%20Banners10-aug.jpg

"Ahern could be selected in the first handful at the draft, and he has plenty of fans amongst the clubs. There's an reason for that, because he has something that sets him apart - speed. Ahern is quick, and it gets him out of trouble and allows him to set up the play. The gap between his best and worst needs to shrink, but with his class around goal and the midfield, and ability to carry the ball, he can open a game up."

No, but I watched that 7 minute highlight video of him, and not once was he able to convincingly break away from the pack and make any real ground on all types of opponents chasing him. He was never really caught, however he wasn't as quick as I hoped and what we should really be looking for.

However, he is so clean with the ball and makes such great decisions, that it really shouldnt matter when push comes to shove...

My 4 draft picks would be

1: Laverde/ Ahern as backup
2: Hayes/McLaren/McDonald or Cupido should we get a KPD from trade and still have this pick
3: Daniels/whoever is best available
4/5: Rookie upgrades... would go Cameron then Kelly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I almost don't care who we pick, so long as the first words out of any recruiters mouth about him is "he's a smart player". Lack of Footy IQ has burned us so often this year. I want a guy who not only reads the game but could write a book about it as well.

Agreed. For all the song and dance about Rendell he drafted a lot of flakes

Ahern looks a good prospect but not that good as billy fragos is saying

Sorry not a huge fan of Daniel, Ive seen him play on tv watched him closely. Dont see an AFL player.
Whenever I've watched him he's played really well. Very smart with excellent skills. If it's not the size than I dont know how you couldn't see potential AFL talent.

Would probably only work as a small forward. Could end up like callinan. Extreme talent playing in a level below.

http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-harrison-wigg/

This kid I seen highlights basically every week throughout the under 18 champs and has an amazing kick to say the least. Was playing off the back flank and some would say he's pretty similar to Grigg already, but if he's still round come rookie draft or late national draft take the gamble. He looks very capable of being a great AFL player.

This guy is my smokey - rate him extremely high. One thing we lack is blokes who can kick from the half back flank - it's an absolute weapon of a left foot. He's smart, smooth mover. Cracking lad as well.

Yeah, Caleb Daniel can play. I don't mind picking up the small players, they just have to have good skills and elite pace/agility. Caleb looks to have this in spades, with plenty to spare. Would have no trouble picking him up with pick 9, however if you could get him at our second rounder then that's a massive win. Will be a real Brent Harvey type, just moves like normal players can only dream of and knows how to use it and then punish the opposition.

Yeah, Caleb Daniel can play. I don't mind picking up the small players, they just have to have good skills and elite pace/agility. Caleb looks to have this in spades, with plenty to spare. Would have no trouble picking him up with pick 9, however if you could get him at our second rounder then that's a massive win. Will be a real Brent Harvey type, just moves like normal players can only dream of and knows how to use it and then punish the opposition.
I think he'll still be around at our 3rd round pick (around the #50 mark), so no need to burn an earlier pick than necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back