Opinion Are we really that far behind the Suns?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Gold Coast will turn five next season and is unlikely to be flag-ready until 2017; GWS is another 12 months or more behind the rising Suns.

This was Jake Niall's view in yesterday's Age.

But I don't agree we are 12 months behind the Suns. I think they're far more dependent on Gary Ablett than they'd care to admit.

We're not reliant on any single player, let alone someone who is arguably the competitions best player. There was something very compelling about us towards the end of the season, when we had so many big names out and were more than competitive.

With an exciting trade period on the way, I think we can make really big strides next year.

Thoughts?

If you compare our 3rd year to there's not much differences:

GWS
Finished 16th
6 wins
Percentage improvement from 2nd to 3rd year 50.97 up to 76.7
First back to back wins
First wins in vic & qld
First time back to back 100pts
First win by 10 goals

Suns
14th
8 wins
Percentage improvement from 2nd to 3rd year 60.82 up to 91.73
First back to back wins
First time back to back 100pts
First win in vic
First win by 10 goals

And when you consider the suns only beat 1 team - st kilda after they loss ablett in there 4th year it just highlights the gap between our two sides is one gary ablett.

In my opinion we were stiff in 3 or 4 games this year which could of had us at 10 wins. I think we are level pegging but with a good deal more upside as a lot of our high end talent are talls that will only get better. I had to laugh when media folk were comparing Lynch favourably with Cameron....please. Gold Coast with GOD will always be a good side but we can be something really special, we just need to keep the bulk of them together.

Who cares.... They're only one of the 17 other teams we have to get over if we want to win this thing.
I agree. Let others measure us against one side. We need to measure the gap to the top teams and focus on closing that. No doubt that GC will eventually be one of those top sides, but clearly not yet.

We will win 8 or more next year.
We will be top 8 2016 and beyond.
But the most important thing is ,we will sustain our position as a club.
GC will never sustain themselves.{proven many times over in sport on GC}

It is possible (and probably likely) that the Suns will use the pre-season to learn how to play "without ablett". It's not like their other players are spuds. I'm sure the coaching group has identified the issue and will be working to rectify it.

I like the Suns, they've always been nice to us - but the gloves will be off during finals time.

One of the things to consider in the "they are not the same team without Ablett" discussion is that we are clearly not the same team without Mumford.. That will change as the young bodies get bigger, but none of our ruck prospects have anything like Mummy's presence onfield, I would be beyond stoked if we somehow landed Paddy Ryder, those two working in tandem would make Cox/Natanui the 2nd best combo for sure.

It is possible (and probably likely) that the Suns will use the pre-season to learn how to play "without ablett". It's not like their other players are spuds. I'm sure the coaching group has identified the issue and will be working to rectify it.

I like the Suns, they've always been nice to us - but the gloves will be off during finals time.

If you believe what some journos are saying there is every chance the suns will be learning to play under a new coach

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you've caught up a hell of a lot during the last 3 months especially. Trying to look objectively I think our top midfield class is better but your depth runs far deeper and I love the combative style of your team. Just a lot of hard nuts. Would not be surprised to see you pass us in two or three years. Hopefully that means we're both becoming regular finalists by then.

I think you've caught up a hell of a lot during the last 3 months especially. Trying to look objectively I think our top midfield class is better but your depth runs far deeper and I love the combative style of your team. Just a lot of hard nuts. Would not be surprised to see you pass us in two or three years. Hopefully that means we're both becoming regular finalists by then.
I have a feeling that your team may slack off within the next five years. Gary Ablett is 30 yrs old and may/may have to consider retiring soon due to age. Once that happens, The Suns may have a bit of a shock adjusting and GWS could leapfrog them.

From an outsides point of view, I would much prefer to have GWS's list. McClure and Kingy made a good point on 360 last evening. I'm paraphrasing: "Gold Coast have a lot of talent but lack grunt. They need more Swallow's."

GWS have Shiel, Ward, Cogs and Treloar. All thrive in the contest and will be finals ready within the next two seasons.

Further, GC lack depth as we saw with the injury to Ablett. Take a couple of their mids out such as Prestia and Ablett and suddenly they become a bottom 4 team. I think when GWS's mids mature more they will have the depth to cover a couple of their top line mids.

From an outsides point of view, I would much prefer to have GWS's list. McClure and Kingy made a good point on 360 last evening. I'm paraphrasing: "Gold Coast have a lot of talent but lack grunt. They need more Swallow's."

GWS have Shiel, Ward, Cogs and Treloar. All thrive in the contest and will be finals ready within the next two seasons.

Further, GC lack depth as we saw with the injury to Ablett. Take a couple of their mids out such as Prestia and Ablett and suddenly they become a bottom 4 team. I think when GWS's mids mature more they will have the depth to cover a couple of their top line mids.

I would like to know what happened to their NEAFL team. Ours finished top in home and away; they were stone motherless last.

In terms of depth, that's a poor sign.

I would suggest to you all that even if GWS is tracking a little slower than the Suns, the peak for the Giants may well be higher. There's no point developing rapidly to max out as a team who maybe finishes 6th.

Hey All - New member alert.
I think that the Giants have a different game style to the Suns; that makes it hard to compare unless you look at straight win/loss ratios. We are all about contested ball first, polish second. Suns look more like a skillful outside running team. Even though this was our breakout year I expect that the Giants attacking side will go up another level. 8 wins and a % of 85-90 sounds about right.

Hey All - New member alert.
I think that the Giants have a different game style to the Suns; that makes it hard to compare unless you look at straight win/loss ratios. We are all about contested ball first, polish second. Suns look more like a skillful outside running team. Even though this was our breakout year I expect that the Giants attacking side will go up another level. 8 wins and a % of 85-90 sounds about right.

I used to think that, and then we got Kelly and WHE showed what he can do.

With Kelly, WHE and Scully, we can track back and burn through the center on a turnover like no-ones buisiness

Remove this Banner Ad

Back