2014 QAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Good players were Warren, Featherstone, Clarke , who did a great job not only in the ruck but marking all over the ground and Folan for Labrador,,, and for PBC, I thought Higgs was outstanding on a forward flank, kept PBC in the game, Pearson was good as was Derrick.

Folan didn't play.

Wasnt aware of that SMY and not sure our club was either but if that is correct will accept that. Having played Maroochydore this year and knowing who was on their list yep agree many were bottom age but 16 or so of their best 22 have played rep footy in the last 2 years. We had 3. 3 of their boys are in the State squad. Big difference there. And yes Aspley very fortunate, a senior team in the Omeo league in Victoria a couple of weeks ago got booted from the GF for playing an ineligble player in the finals, Aspley only fined!! Wonder if that would have applied had it have been a lower profile club? Would hate to think so.

that was because the player in question didn't play enough games for the team. they put him on the team sheet but he didn't play because he was in bali on holidays. with this case the league and brisbane juniors were partly to blame as they entered the wrong birth date into the system. the player was also suspended for 6 games

that was because the player in question didn't play enough games for the team. they put him on the team sheet but he didn't play because he was in bali on holidays. with this case the league and brisbane juniors were partly to blame as they entered the wrong birth date into the system. the player was also suspended for 6 games

fair enough Damo - sounds like fault at both ends but saying this most blokes know their own birth date and whether they are eligible or not. In fact most if not all officials would ask the question of any boy who is around that over age mark. Its not hard. Anyway no harm done in the end but you can understand why Grange were ropeable after being defeated in the semi by Aspley.

Davey to win by a clear margin, the comps best performer by quite a bit.

If I was a betting man, I would also be on Davey.

Wonder if there really is a market for this stuff?

I'd like to put a bet on Davey for 2015 now!

Was it just me, or did anyone feel like it was the QWAFL awards last night, with a Grogan Medal Count thrown in afterwards as an afterthought?

Was it just me, or did anyone feel like it was the QWAFL awards last night, with a Grogan Medal Count thrown in afterwards as an afterthought?

Couldn't agree more, they were really trying to push the girls comp hard all night. Probably a bit over the top for my liking.

The grogan count was a good one though, with most of the stand out players polling pretty well. Was surprised to see Kinch and Bryant not higher up the leaderboard

co
Labradors Davey romps the Grogan Medal in by 8 votes. Is his 2nd win in 3 seasons and did it this year in only 14 games played,,,,,,,,, great effort.
congrats to all winners, well done to Lake winning coach of the year interesting to see he didnt poll a vote off the his fellow coaches in a recent survey... well done to Clint Watts,David lillico and Marty King for their induction into the hall of fame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umps got no idea. Uni getting pumped by 100 or more and their players polling 1 and 2 votes. No leader board update very strange.

chikka,

Mate just because they don't vote the way we see the game, this does not mean the winners of this award are not worthy, Davey has been a gun for a long time and hopefully he will continue for more years to come - Just because some years sides finish undefeated on top, it does not mean the Grogan should go to a player from that side (if this is what you are alluding to). Umpires awards are votes as they give their decisions (in their best opinion) this sometimes differs from us the football tragics opinions to who should get the votes, there has been some bloody good players, since the Grogans inception, who have won this umpires award though over the years, including the latest NEAFL MVP in Matty Paine twice won and runner up in this award, so their opinion is not that far away from being very, very credible - Also the very big point is, we (the footy punter) who are sitting outside the arena, are not privy to what is said by who we perceive to be worthy of votes on any given day - I think Diesel Williams paid the ultimate price for gobbing off all day for the Brownlow Medal in the final round for Carlton one year, when clearly he was BOG from outside of the fence but not in the opinion of the umpires officiating. It will be interesting who wins the B & F at each Club this year and compare - they won't IMO be that far off.

Also, I too hope that there is a big crowd at Yeronga this weekend AFLQ and all the sides who have participated deserve this - Who knows what will happen in any Grand Final? If the one last weekend at Graham Road is anything to go by, lightning just might strike twice, once last week and also who knows once again this weekend!!!!!!!

Here we go again...

fair enough Damo - sounds like fault at both ends but saying this most blokes know their own birth date and whether they are eligible or not. In fact most if not all officials would ask the question of any boy who is around that over age mark. Its not hard. Anyway no harm done in the end but you can understand why Grange were ropeable after being defeated in the semi by Aspley.
The word was that WG may have known of the situation prior to the game and decided not to say anything. It was alleged that they thought the game was unloseable to be won either on the park or afterwards on appeal. If he was really a game breaker, perhaps they should have brought the issue to the attention of everyone pre game??? The player knew he was overage but thought (as with many rep teams) that an overage player concession was in place. His date of birth was shown as 11 (nov) instead of 1 (jan) on the system due to error since 2008 so not picked up by officials.

Here we go again...

I wasn't on your side a while back in regards to the womens game being played in between the two mens games but I'm with you on this one. I thought it was great that the two sides of the game were both represented at the Grogan and hopefully and deservedly done so equally.

I wasn't in attendance but have heard it was done quite well and I hope it's a tradition that will continue.

On another note, any news out of the the Labrador and Morningside camps with the big weekend ahead?

In response to the womens aussie rules comp in qld, yes I thought it was overdone at the big night. But in saying this, one has to look at the aussie rules comps down south where all clubs are called for example. the Albury tigers football and netball club. That's because all clubs , be it major or minor league comps have women participating in netball on game day. This usually has a grade, b grade, c grade an d under 16s netball teams competing..
Now this means some 50 plus women are playing for their club each weekend, against some 50 plus women , be it the opposition club. add to that the coaches, volunteers , and families and friends attending to support this arena, all of a sudden you've got another 150 to 200 people at both home and away games..They all spend the dollars on game day thru the kiosk, bar , raffles etc, thus play a very important part to a footy clubs finances.
In QLD, this would be a godsend for local clubs, but there are no netball courts at the footy grounds and to build a court will cost some 100k .
Thus I see that Conlan and the heirachy have recognized this , and are placing huge emphasis on the development of womens aussie rules footy with the goal of putting more financial gains for the clubs, because there is no way netball courts will be constructed at all footy clubs home grounds.

Ruffles,
Kinch has been outstanding , over and above his team-mates. Feel he will go close to winning the Grogan.... agree Trewhella will be up there,, and Labradors Davey, who missed so many games with injury,,,must still be up there,,, reckon he will poll 3 votes at least 7 or 8 times, which may get him over the line.Daveys situation is similar to Gary Ablett jnr whom I feel is still a chance to take the Brownlow regardless of missing the last 8 games..... feel he should poll plenty of 3 votes as well.
There u go,,,, Davey romps in, got 3 votes in 6 games and polled in the other 5 games to be a runaway winner. Runner up , Derrick from PBC, YES A GOOD PLAYER, that's played at NEAFL level whilst at Broadbeach. just cant believe that Morningsides Kinch only got 11 votes, and Trewhella buggar all votes .And Neate from the Vultures .

The word was that WG may have known of the situation prior to the game and decided not to say anything. It was alleged that they thought the game was unloseable to be won either on the park or afterwards on appeal. If he was really a game breaker, perhaps they should have brought the issue to the attention of everyone pre game??? The player knew he was overage but thought (as with many rep teams) that an overage player concession was in place. His date of birth was shown as 11 (nov) instead of 1 (jan) on the system due to error since 2008 so not picked up by officials.
Bloody hell the kid has played with nearly a 12mth advantage for 6 years!! No wonder he had a beard, he was a mature age footballer.. :D

If WG indeed thought this HN then they are idiots. The issue is I suppose is that all players birth cert are supposed to be sighted but hey I couldn't guarantee that we do this at my club so understand how not. Still think Aspley very fortunate to be part of it - mistakes occur but that was a a biggie. It wasn't like the kid was a spud! Surely he knew when he turned 19 on 1-1-14 that there was some issues? Anyway done and dusted, move on. I reckon it was a good finals series in the 18's topped off with a great GF.

In response to the womens aussie rules comp in qld, yes I thought it was overdone at the big night. But in saying this, one has to look at the aussie rules comps down south where all clubs are called for example. the Albury tigers football and netball club. That's because all clubs , be it major or minor league comps have women participating in netball on game day. This usually has a grade, b grade, c grade an d under 16s netball teams competing..
Now this means some 50 plus women are playing for their club each weekend, against some 50 plus women , be it the opposition club. add to that the coaches, volunteers , and families and friends attending to support this arena, all of a sudden you've got another 150 to 200 people at both home and away games..They all spend the dollars on game day thru the kiosk, bar , raffles etc, thus play a very important part to a footy clubs finances.
In QLD, this would be a godsend for local clubs, but there are no netball courts at the footy grounds and to build a court will cost some 100k .
Thus I see that Conlan and the heirachy have recognized this , and are placing huge emphasis on the development of womens aussie rules footy with the goal of putting more financial gains for the clubs, because there is no way netball courts will be constructed at all footy clubs home grounds.

Have them at Maroochy Stuy:D
Think the club organised a netball match v Mayne ladies during the year when they came and played at Fish rd. Might be something that continues in the future.

Calm down.

Nothing wrong with combining them, but I was there on the night and the Grogan played second fiddle. There is combining, and there is hijacking.

I might be an old dinosaur, but the Grogan should be the 100% main event.

And it rightly was 100% the main event.

After each group of round by round QAFL voting they popped up the QWAFL leaderboard to keep people up to speed with what the standings were, and then only counted the QWAFL votes for the last 4 rounds before finishing off with the Grogan to round out the night.

The focus of the night was on the Grogan, with updates for the QWAFL medal and the presentation of other awards for both men's and women's comps scattered throughout the night.

Would be interested to hear how you would suggest it should have been run?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back