Toast All things Paul Roos + Coaching: McCartney joins coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

The guy was a brilliant player and great leader. Hopefully his time at the bombers, coupled with experience under Roos, will give him a good idea how to go about things. Welcome Simon.

Happy with Goodwin. Hope he's got a steely constitution though.

Also, sucked in Adelaide.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Where has he spent the last couple of years?

5 year contract too (2 as assistant + 3 as senior coach). Big vote of confidence.

1st year building relationships with players, 2nd year as senior assistant. Thoughtful.
I'm still hoping that Roosy extends beyond 3.

I'm happy.

but what does this mean for the Middleton outcome tomorrow? Do we hope that Essendon ergo Goodwin escape without sanctions now or is Goodwin a free man regardless?

Happy for Melbourne and Goodwin also cracks me up that you guys trumped again first with Roos now with Goodwin.

Teams should stop sacking their coaches to try and beat us to the punch.

I'm happy.

but what does this mean for the Middleton outcome tomorrow? Do we hope that Essendon ergo Goodwin escape without sanctions now or is Goodwin a free man regardless?

If he cops sanctions, he'll have to wear it (a la Bailey at Adelaide).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm happy.

ASADA can't punish Goodwin. Only the AFL can and they have dealt punishments to the bombers and officials who have gotten theirs (whether you think it was just or not). The high court is in regards to whether or not the players have to answer to the show cause notices.

Oh well.

Reading Goodwin's playing CV is bloody impressive. I forgot that he played in both of their late 90s premierships. Not that it means much as a coach.

Was an absolute gun player, but often went under the radar because of guys like Ricciuto, McLeod, Jarman, Edwards, Bickley, Hart, Fergus Watts etc

Videos on MFC's website annoy me. Don't give me snippets of the conference put the whole thing up! OR make better use of that no existent youtube channel and put it there with key points with linked times in the description.

Last edited:
To be honest Goodwin nearly put me to sleep listening to his presser which must be a great sign
Better than listening to the constant ' we will be the hardest team to play against ' bullshit of last time

Wasnt really trying to sell himself too much or make promises

All announcement pressers are fluff tbh, the only interesting ones are when someone is on the way out (a la Bailey 2011).

I find all the "excited by building culture" stuff slightly unusual but it comes across like he's on the same page as Roos and Jackson.

It also appears there was a lot involved in the process of selecting Goodwin (instead of Lyon pointing a finger) and Roos sounds very happy with getting him. That's good enough for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back