Review Postmatch discussion vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Nearly back in Melbourne. Been a flat drive home. On a night we needed to take every chance we missed crucial shots early and turned it over far too easily. From that point we were never in it. Was great to be back in the finals, Swans too good, now the long wait to 2015.

Flat drive...

Flat walk.

Flat shopping.

Flat mowing the lawn.

Flat all round.

Anywho we move on, Levi for Brownlow dark horse.

Flat drive...

Flat walk.

Flat shopping.

Flat mowing the lawn.

Flat all round.

Anywho we move on, Levi for Brownlow dark horse.

This helps.

the-glenlivet-12-years-435667.jpg

jeremy77 said:
Yeah Swallow always shows massive heart and leads by example, and as you said he is becoming a better captain, but again nothing even remotely to do with mongrel and killer instinct.
Now think Luke Hodge, Joel Selwood, Wayne Carey, Michael Voss. All great leadership and killer instinct and premiership captains.

And yeah NDS retirement packages dunno bout any of that, but he is soft.

Exactly right. Swallow Is a lead by example player, not a guy who will pull up one of his guys or team ala selwoodor give a rev up if needed.

Take the hawks game earlier this year as an example. They hated losing to us and showed some mongrel, remember the dirty bump/tackle hodge layed on swallow. Jeez I hated it at the time, but id love to see abit of it in our team. There is fck all mongrel in our leaders which sets thethe theme in the team?

It's always conflicting emotions when your team loses a final. You lament what could have been, but also feel proud for how well the team actually did to get to that point and both those feelings just war inside of you. Both are equally correct though - your club has taken some big strides forward this year, but the effort last night just didn't seem to be good enough.

For what it's worth, I did not see last night's result coming. I was much more comfortable with the idea of playing Geelong than your mob (which is surely a good sign!), due to you having a more unpredictable setup and being tough enough to match it with the Top 4 teams throughout the season. Also, I've never felt comfortable when we come up the Kangas and have nightmares of Corey Jones kicking ridiculous goals to beat us time and time again!!!

But to go the extra step next year, the younger players are certainly going to have to lift. Your older players are still very good, but there is no guarantee that they won't slip back a little bit, so they'll have to pick up some slack. The good news is that I think the younger North Melbourne boys ARE going to lift. A lot of talent in your list!

Exactly right. Swallow Is a lead by example player, not a guy who will pull up one of his guys or team ala selwoodor give a rev up if needed.

Take the hawks game earlier this year as an example. They hated losing to us and showed some mongrel, remember the dirty bump/tackle hodge layed on swallow. Jeez I hated it at the time, but id love to see abit of it in our team. There is fck all mongrel in our leaders which sets thethe theme in the team?
Totally agree.

I noticed there was a lot of finger pointing by senior players indicating holes in the defensive set up that they should have filled themselves. Dal Santo, Harvey, Thomas, Spud, I'm looking at you. A number of our senior guys got shown up for being not committed or switched on enough.

We also were let down by the second player into the contest being completely ineffective then their second would come in and win the contest. We were shown up to be not as hard nor clean as them.

I think the pressure got to a lot of the players, they were scared to take the game on and to work to provide options and our senior heads were not good enough to get us up and going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the game with a family member who made a good point (that I never noticed). Sydney players ALWAYS take on the tackler; they never handball or kick unless the absolutely have to. The frustrating thing is they rare get pinged for holding the ball either. This stuck out like dog's balls as our tackling simply is not up to the standard required deep in September.

The other thing that stood out was that Sydney always take the ball 'out the back' yet we were unable to combat it appropriately.

Turner to become our Luke Parker in 2015.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Love him, woild offer him an 10 year deal. Gonna be gold
Watched the game with a family member who made a good point (that I never noticed). Sydney players ALWAYS take on the tackler; they never handball or kick unless the absolutely have to. The frustrating thing is they rare get pinged for holding the ball either. This stuck out like dog's balls as our tackling simply is not up to the standard required deep in September.

The other thing that stood out was that Sydney always take the ball 'out the back' yet we were unable to combat it appropriately.

Agree

Just got back from the City of Churches after a pretty ordinary couple of days to be honest. Sydney were obviously way too good for us but I actually missed the last quarter throwing my guts up in the dunny after somebody obviously slipped a placebo into my drink at half time while I was chewing some fat with Arden again for the first time. He's a nice man.
Did my Xmas shopping at Paddys Market - never seen such quality items at such low prices. Bought 3 pairs of Nike runners for $60!!!!! You'd pay $150 per pair down here in Melb - bloody GST.
And then, last time I checked, I am now a member of the Flying High Club after a certain chain of events lead to an intimate encounter on the flight back. Thank you very much.

After watching Port I hope no one walking around Arden street is too happy with themselves.

There's no guarantee we'll just roll up for a grand final next year. We lacked composure and leadership from senior players last night and if we don't fix that we don't progress.

Port had every excuse- 3 finals games in a row in 3 different states and very nearly nailed it. I hope we're not offering ourselves excuses or imagining we're better than we are or we'll be doomed to repeat the post 2007 slide.

There was some fantastic ground made in 2014 but imo was still soured by leaders failing to show the way in the end.

This is what I take away too. The instant they got the ball in their hands they turned, twisted, shrugged lifted arms above the tackle to enable a quick clean release. Our blokes didn't come close to stopping it. Then once they released the first handball it was like a slingshot nrl style flick flick flick and they were out.

Then they had time to kick, and the forwards had time to either lead or stand and mark as the delivery was always to the 'preferred' side I'd the contest.

It happened time and time again.

They were more ferocious at gaining possession, then carried that intensity on to shrugging tackles and running into space.

Massive gap in class in every aspect.

Drew's missed shots on goal were from nerves. More dissapointed with Wellsy's effort against a rampaging Rohan.

I noticed there was a lot of finger pointing by senior players indicating holes in the defensive set up that they should have filled themselves. Dal Santo, Harvey, Thomas, Spud, I'm looking at you. A number of our senior guys got shown up for being not committed or switched on enough.

We also were let down by the second player into the contest being completely ineffective then their second would come in and win the contest. We were shown up to be not as hard nor clean as them.

I think the pressure got to a lot of the players, they were scared to take the game on and to work to provide options and our senior heads were not good enough to get us up and going.

Too often we had players in no-mans land and it shits me to tears how we so easily allow an opposition player to stand 5m out in front of them and you can just see they are going to take uncontested marks because we are sagging too far off their man to put pressure on the kicker or the receiver.

This is a big concern for me. We've been gearing up for a flag tilt having added NDS while we have Boomer, Wells, Thompson, Petrie. If the older guys arent hungry enough to do the disciplined things in running both ways, putting the body on the line when its your turn ect then this may not turn out as good as we hope.

We could FA the lot out for a heap of young talent, side down a few spots adding even more talent, free cap space for a monster 10 year FF and find out more about the younger players we have. Dont get me wrong, im 100% behind us going hard to win a flag now while we have them - but if they're just going to roll over it just wont happen and will add years to when we become contenders again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Postmatch discussion vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back