Strategy Should we trade Dangerfield?

Should we trade Dangerfield?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I expect him to a sign with Port, if success is the only thing that he's after. They're a club going places and, he wouldn't even have to move house, either. The servers would melt hard in that case.

I'd love to see him come to the cattery, should he wish to leave Adelaide for whatever reason. If he wanted success, he'd go a long way to helping Geelong remain competitive, but I doubt that even he'd be enough. We've had our time and now we're on the slide.

The same applies to Hawthorn. I predict that they'll drop the GF to Sydney, drop off slightly in 2015 and start really sliding in 2016, the year that Danger would play his first year as a F/A. Like us, Hawthorn will have a huge bundle of cash as all of their ageing stars retire, but that'll mean they'll not be as competitive and, ergo on the slide.

No one should be any more certain that Danger will stay on the back of that Footy Show appearance. He certainly played it well, but he clearly hasn't made up his mind about what he's doing. For what it's worth, I think that he's a better than 50% chance of staying, so the talk of trading him now is madness. I get why people want to trade him, once bitten twice shy and all that, but he's worth risking losing for less than getting rid of him now when he may well stay for the duration of his career.

For what its worth I thought your post is bang on. Your thoughts are welcome on this board anytime

I expect him to a sign with Port, if success is the only thing that he's after. They're a club going places and, he wouldn't even have to move house, either. The servers would melt hard in that case.

I'd love to see him come to the cattery, should he wish to leave Adelaide for whatever reason. If he wanted success, he'd go a long way to helping Geelong remain competitive, but I doubt that even he'd be enough. We've had our time and now we're on the slide.

The same applies to Hawthorn. I predict that they'll drop the GF to Sydney, drop off slightly in 2015 and start really sliding in 2016, the year that Danger would play his first year as a F/A. Like us, Hawthorn will have a huge bundle of cash as all of their ageing stars retire, but that'll mean they'll not be as competitive and, ergo on the slide.

No one should be any more certain that Danger will stay on the back of that Footy Show appearance. He certainly played it well, but he clearly hasn't made up his mind about what he's doing. For what it's worth, I think that he's a better than 50% chance of staying, so the talk of trading him now is madness. I get why people want to trade him, once bitten twice shy and all that, but he's worth risking losing for less than getting rid of him now when he may well stay for the duration of his career.

For what its worth I thought your post is bang on. Your thoughts are welcome on this board anytime
I don't think winning and losing is the issue as he knows injuries and other issues can hinder those aspects of the game. I think he is looking for the things the club does and doesn't do to control those issues.

If we kept Sando for 2015 and went 12 and 0 but his behaviour or forms of communication didn't change, I think he was gone. However, if we look at all the veribles that inflence winning and we were still losing, i think he would be happy and stay as he knows the club is doing everything in it's control to change that culture and winning will come.

As I said, sucess is measured in many different ways and winning is jusy one formn. I don't think he is silly to overlook a number of things if we are simply winning.

i like reading your posts but you have lost me here.

Success in a team sport is winning. Other factors can affect the duration of that wining success but at the end of the day u win or u lose.

Am I the only one who finds it incredibly hard to believe that Clarko would meet Danger in the middle of the finals series (which you battle all year to get to) just to discuss the international rules series (which would probably be the last thing on his mind)?

It's bizarre.

I wonder if Clarko could tell us how many other IR players he met with last week? And isn't that supposed to be exclusive to this year's AA players anyway?

I wonder if Clarko could tell us how many other IR players he met with last week? And isn't that supposed to be exclusive to this year's AA players anyway?

I thought so too, but it appears that it will also be open to past AA players.

From: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-23/all-australians-only

"Evans said the AFL had consulted extensively with stars including Travis Boak, Patrick Dangerfield, Darren Glass, Luke Hodge, Steve Johnson, Nic Naitanui, Scott Pendlebury, Nick Riewoldt, Joel Selwood and Jobe Watson about how to attract the best AFL players back to the IRS."

Then you may as well strike a line through him and count him as gone as we are not winning the flag next year.

You are saying, he wants success and premierships are the only form of success.

Yeh. Success is premierships. If he believes that we are on the way to finishing Top 4 on a consistent basis under the new coaching setup then he will stay. If he doesn't I have no doubt he will leave.

i like reading your posts but you have lost me here.

Success in a team sport is winning. Other factors can affect the duration of that wining success but at the end of the day u win or u lose.

What I think Dangerfield wants is a system that will allow for long term success. Not a short term sucess that will then fall away very quickly.

Hypothedically, he signed a 5 year deal and the club replicates 2012 but the under griund stuff doesn't change - ?I'm very sure he was gone as the probablity is high nothing would have changed. I'm quite sure he won't want 4 bad years and a good 2015 will he? I'm very sure, he won't want 2015 to be an up year and then 2016 to 2019 being back to the norm we know now.

However, if we put the right coaches in place, the best assisant coaches and everyone is on the same path yet we have a poor year with injuirees and lose games - I still think he will stay.

That's why, IMO he would be looking for many different things to be put in place before he says yes or no to him staying. Hence why winning games isn't the be all towards success.

What he wants is knowing the club is doing everything in their power to control the veriables they can because then, thast will lead to the club being successfull on and off the field.

Coaches, assistant coachews, development coaches fitness and medical team have to be pulling in the same direction.

Yeh. Success is premierships. If he believes that we are on the way to finishing Top 4 on a consistent basis under the new coaching setup then he will stay. If he doesn't I have no doubt he will leave.

And thats what I'm saying.

He needs to see change and that light at the end of the tunnell.

Ok. Crossed lines there Alex.

He will know pretty early on next season what his intentions are.

Hopefully he will know within the next 6 weeks. Hopefully his decision are based on the moves the club does.

What I think Dangerfield wants is a system that will allow for long term success. Not a short term sucess that will then fall away very quickly.

Hypothedically, he signed a 5 year deal and the club replicates 2012 but the under griund stuff doesn't change - ?I'm very sure he was gone as the probablity is high nothing would have changed. I'm quite sure he won't want 4 bad years and a good 2015 will he? I'm very sure, he won't want 2015 to be an up year and then 2016 to 2019 being back to the norm we know now.

However, if we put the right coaches in place, the best assisant coaches and everyone is on the same path yet we have a poor year with injuirees and lose games - I still think he will stay.

That's why, IMO he would be looking for many different things to be put in place before he says yes or no to him staying. Hence why winning games isn't the be all towards success.

What he wants is knowing the club is doing everything in their power to control the veriables they can because then, thast will lead to the club being successfull on and off the field.

Coaches, assistant coachews, development coaches fitness and medical team have to be pulling in the same direction.

Thanks for the clarification. I am back on board with this. Best chance of danger staying is for us to finish top 4 next year and have set a strong framework for success.

We have some components in place, strong core of young elite of potentially elite players and one of the best home grounds in the comp. Challenges we have are the ongoing effects of the tippett draft sanctions and obvious coaching and strategic uncertainty.

The advantages wont change in the next 12 months but the disadvantages may. Danger would be stupid to make a final decision until later in the year either way.

I agree with what the stragled cat concluded. We are probably at least a 50% chance of keeping him atm but that could swing around pretty quickly next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one who finds it incredibly hard to believe that Clarko would meet Danger in the middle of the finals series (which you battle all year to get to) just to discuss the international rules series (which would probably be the last thing on his mind)?

It's bizarre.
I agree this seems odd. Clarko meeting about the IR series two days out from a Prelim? Reading the hawks board they all think its fishy and are starting to dream. Buddy would hav left alot of $$$ in their cap

What about this ...

AFC approach Clarko and say - we need an experienced coach like you to satisfy our stars needs.

Clarkson says ok, I hear you.

Clarkson catches up with Danger for a chat about "international rules" and says - I hear you are looking for stability and sustained success over in Adelaide? Two options, (1) I leave the reigning back-to-back premiers to come over to AFC and start a rebuild (2) you come to the Hawks now and we look at creating the most successful football team of the last 100 years. Don't feel like you are letting down your club, we'll make sure they get compensated in trade week.

Danger says - ok I'll take Option 2 ...

Clarko comes out in public and says - I'm not leaving the Hawks.

:-(

I agree this seems odd. Clarko meeting about the IR series two days out from a Prelim? Reading the hawks board they all think its fishy and are starting to dream. Buddy would hav left alot of $$$ in their cap
I like this scenario better - Danger is sent as an ambassador to sound out Clarko and promise his and the gang of 4's allegiance.

So I heard last night that Daingerfield isnt very well liked by the playing group and is very up himself, apparently this is part of the reason Sando was sacked as Danger was the golden child and was aloud to not train for any little reason but everyone else was made to no matter what

So the way I see it is either when Sando was sacked Danger was told to pull his head in or this may have been the differing view in where the list is at (The board may want to trade Danger but Sando didn't)

So I heard last night that Daingerfield isnt very well liked by the playing group and is very up himself, apparently this is part of the reason Sando was sacked as Danger was the golden child and was aloud to not train for any little reason but everyone else was made to no matter what

So the way I see it is either when Sando was sacked Danger was told to pull his head in or this may have been the differing view in where the list is at (The board may want to trade Danger but Sando didn't)

I've "heard" a lot of things that people have "heard" as of late.

The more things I "hear" the more I'm convinced that 99% of it is not based in any kind of reality.

The more things I "hear" the more I'm convinced that 99% of it is not based in any kind of reality.
I heard you were leaving? So glad you could come out and quash this!! :)

I was very skeptical when hearing this but the source is too in the know to not believe

The more I think about it the more it makes sense to me maybe this is why Danger was meeting with Clarko and maybe why we are into Cameron because there is no way we will get him cheap

I'm only sharing the information given to me wether people choose to believe me or not is up to them

Back