List Mgmt. 2014 Trade and Free Agency Targets Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If getting Dangerfield gives us 5000 more members, he pays for himself.
Would be a massive get for us. More members, bigger crowds & more FTA exposure.

So, who do we think is available for trade?

I'll have a stab: Mullett, Bastinac and McKenzie.

Was initially against getting Waite, but after watching Black circa 2014 which was so disappointing I think we should bring him over and I don't care what it costs.

I am not sure how well Petrie, Brown and Waite can work together, but more pressure for spots the better. Throw a very agile Wood into the mix along with Black pulling his finger out and it looks quite dangerous and flexible.

Now we just need the coaches to sort our the fwd structure as it was shithouse all year and somehow we still made a prelim.

Id be disappointed if Mullett after one bad year was up for trade - last year he was very good I thought.

I think we need his type as he has the required pace and footskills to succeed when at his best - we lack outside quality.

More than happy to part ways with the other two though.

Most currency we've had in years. I would like another year with Mullett perhaps playing forward half of the ground, but if we get a good offer (pick or player) I don't think we should say no.

The overall point I'm making is it doesn't make any sense to splash money on a Dangerfield type purchase (who would cost obscene money we don't have), which is an upgrade and is not filling a key hole *giggity* like a structural KPP post.

People here build us up to get top of the line players and then blame the club when it doesn't happen. Yes we need to aim high, but we also need to concede and understand exterior circumstances that stop us from making a purchase like that.
At certain times in a team's development/positioning I think it does make sense and while there is always a risk, it can even pay off in terms of membership, games won and, of course, finals success. There is or can be a certain ROI for the right player at the right time. Whether it is a Judd-type mid or a Buddy-type KPP certain types can make the difference as long as the rest of the pieces of the puzzle are in place.

But Danger? Yeah, I like that prick Sloane better. :confused:

At certain times in a team's development/positioning I think it does make sense and while there is always a risk, it can even pay off in terms of membership, games won and, of course, finals success. There is or can be a certain ROI for the right player at the right time. Whether it is a Judd-type mid or a Buddy-type KPP certain types can make the difference as long as the rest of the pieces of the puzzle are in place.

But Danger? Yeah, I like that prick Sloane better. :confused:

Agreed, just am very cautious of the eggs in one basket route but understand there are examples where it works. Sloane would probably complement us better and be cheaper, but cart/horse, water/bridge etc.

Speaking of thrifty, Fev keen for another go?

Trade wise they'll probably want 2 x top 10 picks for Danger. Id cough up the big bucks for him the following year as a FA. There will also be some others available such as Tom Hawkins.

When talking of spending these sort of dollars your talking about a marque type player, clubs will only be about to fit so many in while those without will pick one up. FA is designed imo to spread these type of players around in a more balanced way, so you dont spend massive dollars AND pay massive with a trade.

Not sure there will be the marque type FA we want this year however. By the end of next year we dont know where Boomer, Petrie or Wells will be at, isnt Jacobs on a reasonable sum too - if we're say 250k under cap next year we can go 250k over the following year add in some retirements/ savings plus the cap is raised 150k per year for the next 2 isnt it? We'd have the room to make the big play.

We certainly have a few gaps to fill now and should be active. We're likely to get better time slots, a tougher draw and we want to be a contender of course so we'll have to improve our list and make sure we perform. Im happy to get Waite and trade for a player or two but keep some powder dry to make a big play on the right player at the right price (preferably via FA unless a real good player wants out)

I would think that the strategy would be to use FA to get the big names and trade for role players/younger players with potential, that way you maximise your picks and own list.
Id be disappointed if Mullett after one bad year was up for trade - last year he was very good I thought.

I think we need his type as he has the required pace and footskills to succeed when at his best - we lack outside quality.

More than happy to part ways with the other two though.
I only put Mullett forward as he would have currency and is a player that we can cover if we move him on given we have Atley, McDonald, Wright and Macmillan capable of playing off half back. I would very much like to see him return to form next year too, but if trading him nets us a Jono O'Rourke for example, a potential long term quality midfielder. It would be a bit of a risk, but sometimes these pay off.

If we are going to trade, unfortunately we have to trade something that we don't wanna lose for something we want or need more. If we trade a reserves player for a reserves player it will be a little meh to me. If we want a big fish, either FA or don't do it I think. If someone wants to offer us a good draft pick for a player that we don't "need" then take it.

In short trade players for picks, and bring in a good free agent if not this year (Waite isn't in the class I'm referring to) then next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think with the exception of Boomer and Petrie, pretty much anyone's on the trade table for the right price. It's just that players like Wells, Cunnington, Ziebel, etc aren't worth putting on the table because they're worth more to us than other clubs. Players like Basti, Black, Mckenzie, etc could be worth more to another club than they are to us, it's all just business, moneyball anyone?

I wouldn't mind exploring trading Tarrant or Black, while Black has proved he's good, Wood looks like he can fill Black's position easily, neither are real KPF for us when we have Petrie, Brown, and possibly Daw. Trading Tarrant is for obvious reasons.

I'll say it again danger will not be coming to us. I don't think he will leave but if he does it will be geelong or a powerhouse team. Just the bloke he is

Just me or does he seem like a bit of a dick? Granted I am only going off the Brownlow telecast.

He'd hold currency with a club needing him, Dogs, Freo, etc

Not even close to what he'd be worth if he fulfils his talent. You don't trade forwards with his sort of ability, especially if the stories about his shoulder this year are true. He's played 50 games ffs.

Not to mention the club made a pretty massive commitment on him 12 months ago and convinced him to turn down a return to Perth. Turning around now and going "you had a poor year, see ya" would be pretty ordinary.

Anyone that thinks that trading Tarrant or worse delisting Tarrant is being ridiculous!!!
Worst case he breaks down again and retires and he took up just one spot on a list that has carried McMahon, Anthony, Hine, McGennis and others.
Best case he gets his body right and gives the team a massive body to break packs up forward or be the gorilla down back. The added bonus to this is that we would then have options after next season to trade one of our big guys for real currency. Our developing big guys Brown, Wood (not big but will play the Gunston, Black role), Black, Delaney, Tippet, Curren (if he is still around), Daw and Taz gives us tradability and real power at the table.
What would we get for trading Taz now? I read someone say a bag of potato chips!!! Well you can keep your chips, I'm all in on Taz for at least one more year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back