Analysis Who didn't play, and their 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought before going too crazy on trading and draft threads, thought to review those that didn't play against the Swans. While we didn't play great, our best would not have been enough. So the question is what talent do we have before off season moves and what potential affect will they have in 2015. By numbers:

Currie - Minimal - A back up ruckman only, depth player;
Mc Kenzie - Minimal/Possible - Looks to be a dud top pick despite some good signs. Either gains an edge or sails into the sunset;
Anthony - None - Adds no value to the team as he lacks disposal effectiveness, pace and defensive ability;
Hansen - Positive - We are small down back, he is a key. Would love him to spend the off season being harnessed into a strong on-on-one player despite his good work as a floater;
Adams - Possible - At best provides impact across HF and has hardness, but the addition of Turner may be a better type of player;
Dumont - Possible/Positive - I think Ziebell is more a 2nd string midfielder, on the cusp of 1st string. So another ball winner would be handy. Not the pacy, skilful mid we are crying out for, but could leap frog like Greenwood into the starting 18 as he knows how to get it;
Harper - Minimal/Possible/Positive - On current showing none, at best exposed form, could possibly add good pace and skill, if he takes a step forward, he could add the pace, height and defensive pressure that could free up Atley for the middle. Must be trained solely as a HB and should watch Rohan last night religiously. Is one player who has the pace/skill/defensive mix we need. But as always, can he impact for long enough?
Tarrant - Possible - Not the biggest fan, but he does move well. Would have played ahead of Black. My gut tells me he should beef up and try to be the monster forward, rather than looking like Tarzan and playing like Jane. Just don't think his previous role adds much value compared to brown.
Hine - Minimal - Has pace and defensive nous, but looks a level below;
Garner - Possible/Positive - Biggest issue, fitness. Has the skillset to add value to the team as a Bruest style player. If Thomas continues his poor attitude to the game and Ziebell shows value forward long term, could be matched up with Turner forward;
Nahas - Minimal/Possible - Essentially adds little as his role was present against the Swans and I doubt we would look to have Turner, Harvey and Nahas in the one team. However, his form was good before his injury and can't b ruled out;
Curran - Minimal/Positive - Long odds to play a game. However, from what I have seen, if he does get the body right, he could be the best of our KP forwards and the only one I see becoming a genuine big game forward (unless Majak goes nuts)
Delaney - Minimal/Positive - Super quick, agile, good defensively and good user. Again, injury kills him. Another year like this and its all over. Has shown he could be a big addition to the team. Averages 15 possies a game. He would be our best match up with a player like Buddy long term, particularly if his bulk has increased as has been reported.
Wood - Positive - Has some development to do, but has good pace, great endurance, great left foot and strong mark. The perfect modern day 3rd tall player. His addition would have added a more flexible forward structure and going forward could be a great value off a wing as well.
Wilkins - Minimal - Type of player that would be good, but doesn't look likely.
McMillian - Positive - Desperately missed, even Dermott could see his value. Will allow Atley to focus on the middle.
Tippett - Possible/Positive - Crying out for tall defenders, and he is one. Not 100% he will make the grade, but if he does will join Delaney in transforming an undersized defence.
Majak - Possible - He acknowledged pre-season he wouldn't be at his best this year. A full pre-season and physically he should be primed. I actually though that he improved dramatically body positioning and game understanding, although still not where it needs to be. Could be our only real possibility at being a monster forward and his ruck work leave Brown for dead. However, Brown is the man to beat and there are plenty of options that could form a forward line, in a few different guises I think. Waite could add even more interest. I still believe.
Mullett - Possible/Positive - Needs a pre-season, behind the 8-ball all year and showed as he looked a yard slower and definitely half a second slower in reaction times. Having said that, there will be competition
Mc Mahon - None - Passed by

We need a dominant forward and back, pace through the middle and added class. Other than midfield run, we do have options, but going into this trade period, we cannot trust they will come through as injury has hampered some of our more talented options.

Other than standard senior players, Harper across HB, Garner and Wood across HF, Delaney in defence and Dumont in the guts would improve our team against Sydney if they reach their potential. Like having Boomer, Wells and Dal playing, their addition will improve us based on their performance and also by allowing better use of current players (like Atley).

Still wouldn't mind Frawley or Merrett for 2015!
I have highlighted people that need to be trade/delisted. We need another big fish. Key defender is a must as well as some outside speed in the midfield.

I was big fan of McKenzie this time last year, did he really slow down or did I just not notice it? please tell me slowed down.

He didn't slow down. It just passed him by.

If he survives the cut he needs a Greenwood-esque resurrection.

He looks good in a bathing suit in the water, but I saw him get pushed around pretty easily when he played games for us.

Looks top heavy, needs more core and hip strength?

I believe he'd struggle vs. some of the competitions key forwards, especially the constant burst leading and knowing where the ball will drop.

For all his upper body strength, he's got the waist line and hip circumference of a pre-pubescent boy, thus rendering him useless in boundary throw-ins, around the ground throw-ups and contested marking situations.

To be of any use to us he'd have to transform into a (gawd I hate this bloke) Justin Westoff type running through the wings and flanks, being the third man up at ruck and contested marking situations. He just can't be the focal point of a long-bomb forward, a B Lake will body him out of the way and take an uncontested mark all day long. I don't see him developing the tank for that game style though, personally (sadly) I'd delist.

Harper has faded into non existance.. he wont come back. Delist and re-rookie list please north. mcmahon one year contract (depth only) or delist re-rookie list please.

Harper has faded into non existance.. he wont come back. Delist and re-rookie list please north. mcmahon one year contract (depth only) or delist re-rookie list please.

McMahon is contracted.

Garner, Dumont and Wood. 3 players who we can expect to provide some good football from 2015 onwards.

McKenzie, Daw, Delaney, Harper and Mullett. 5 players who failed to kick on this year for one reason or another. Hopefully they too can provide some good football from 2015 onwards.

Hansen, Macmillan, Tarrant, Nahas. 4 players who missed significant chunks of the year due to injuries and who provide good to quality football when fit.

I think there is a fair bit of room for improvement from this group moving forward. Some will not come on but we should be able to benefit positively from some of them from next year onwards.

Greenwood always showed plenty early on for mine, was just very harshly dealt with at selection.

Arguably should have played far more games than he has thus far.

I don't really see the two as being similar. McKenzie has shown very little outside a penetrating kick on the rare occasion he gets it.

Greenwood always showed plenty early on for mine, was just very harshly dealt with at selection.

Arguably should have played far more games than he has thus far.

I don't really see the two as being similar. McKenzie has shown very little outside a penetrating kick on the rare occasion he gets it.

I'm using that mentality that Levi went back, knuckled down and forced himself back in. Also can't be forgotten, Levi got a bit of luck his way with Swallow getting injured, giving him the chance to push back in and prove he was due his spot and somebody else had to work back in.

As far as ability and player type goes though, no. I'm not comparing.

Too much hope being placed on blokes that can't get it right.

I'd delist 2 of Harper, Curran, Delaney or Tarrant.

Our window is about to open and these blokes can't even get on the VFL park.

I'm using that mentality that Levi went back, knuckled down and forced himself back in. Also can't be forgotten, Levi got a bit of luck his way with Swallow getting injured, giving him the chance to push back in and prove he was due his spot and somebody else had to work back in.

As far as ability and player type goes though, no. I'm not comparing.

Yep, agree on how Greenwood approached his setbacks. To be honest, it's been a fine effort to keep working so hard and not get disgruntled and leave as others might have.

Fair points on not comparing. For mine BMac has been a serious disappointment thus far, as I rated him when drafted. Just doesn't seemed to have improved other areas of his game at all outside his obvious talents.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to go very left field with Majak.

Let's try and turn him into a key defender. Play him down there and let the good players lead him to the ball. Tell him to do just one thing initially in each contest and that is to just spoil the ball He has the height, the strength, the pace, the spring and the reach to match it with just about any big man, just does not yet know enough about reading the play.

Without doubt we would get horribly burnt for a while but who knows it might make him a player. :Cringes in fear of much lambasting from BF look
I also like the idea of playing Daw as a key defender in the reserves. It may not prove to be a long term proposition, but it may help his development to see where opposing forwards lead to during games.

I also like the idea of playing Daw as a key defender in the reserves. It may not prove to be a long term proposition, but it may help his development to see where opposing forwards lead to during games.

In my view the way to approach something like this is to trial it in the pre-season. Just match him up against Drew in contest after contest, then try him at Werribee. If he shows no improvement then abandon it. You certainly wouldn't just decide to do something like this in round 1 next year against *essendon (because we always seem to play them in round 1).

(Mind you by then if justice is to be done, he might be playing against Kepler Bradley or some other ex-*essendon spud who they might have to lure out of retirement to play for them, given 20 others should be facing suspension).

Let the team travel to Utah. I'm wrapped for its aerobic benefits. (If anyone argues, stfu I sat through two semesters of exercise phys, I don't need to hear otherwise) - Meanwhile, leave Black, Mullet and Mckenzie in the dessert with dingos on their tail. That will give them the kick they need. X factors with an engine to prove

Meanwhile, leave Black, Mullet and Mckenzie in the dessert with dingos on their tail. That will give them the kick they need. X factors with an engine to prove

Put them nowhere near the dessert. They'll just get fat from all the sugar :stern look

Greenwood has shown plenty before, then just had a lean season or two. McKenzie has never really shown that he can cut it at the level.

Greenwood has shown plenty before, then just had a lean season or two. McKenzie has never really shown that he can cut it at the level.

See my sig please.

Work
I'm going to go very left field with Majak.

Let's try and turn him into a key defender. Play him down there and let the good players lead him to the ball. Tell him to do just one thing initially in each contest and that is to just spoil the ball He has the height, the strength, the pace, the spring and the reach to match it with just about any big man, just does not yet know enough about reading the play.

Without doubt we would get horribly burnt for a while but who knows it might make him a player. :Cringes in fear of much lambasting from BF look
worked for longmire. Don't think it will for daw. He is all beach muscles, gets worked under the ball way too easy and reckon too many mental lapses. Might be wrong. Personally think it's either him leading one out from the square with an open fwd line, or as a pure ruck man, and I don't think he has the tank for the latter.

Personally I'd delist McMahon and have him sweeping the floors answering the telephone and running errands for his final years pay.

Work

worked for longmire. Don't think it will for daw. He is all beach muscles, gets worked under the ball way too easy and reckon too many mental lapses. Might be wrong. Personally think it's either him leading one out from the square with an open fwd line, or as a pure ruck man, and I don't think he has the tank for the latter.

People still think he can play AFL footy. He cannot do the things required by an AFL Footballer at our club. He's good for promotional stuff but I wish everyone would wake up and see he's not cut out for it. Nice guy but there is a reason he didnt play finals. If they dont have enough confidence in him to put it all on the line in our first major finals stint for a while then clearly he is not part of our push for a flag. I know people will say I am being harsh but we have all watched him and been wowed and impressed with him as an athlete but as an AFL footballer he has never ever looked likely.

People still think he can play AFL footy. He cannot do the things required by an AFL Footballer at our club. He's good for promotional stuff but I wish everyone would wake up and see he's not cut out for it. Nice guy but there is a reason he didnt play finals. If they dont have enough confidence in him to put it all on the line in our first major finals stint for a while then clearly he is not part of our push for a flag. I know people will say I am being harsh but we have all watched him and been wowed and impressed with him as an athlete but as an AFL footballer he has never ever looked likely.

The main reason he didn't play Finals is the season-ending injury he suffered a few weeks prior.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back