News Melbourne Considering moving to the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic news hearing that we may be moving into our spiritual home.
(edit) It would be good to have both the football department and administration in the one place, but to have it at the MCG would be incredible for the football club, for both operating and heritige

MELBOURNE will explore reuniting its football department and administration at the MCG.

The idea has come on the back of an AFL-sponsored plan for Cricket Victoria and the St Kilda Football Club to share a new training centre at the Junction Oval.

The space now used by cricket at the MCG could quickly be turned into an elite training centre by the league’s oldest club at its traditional home ground.

I think this is a fantastic idea, and it would be stupid for us not to pursue such a rare oppotunity

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...075709610?nk=ee28126145bec4ffd1484357179561e2

Last edited:

I can't keep up with where we are any more. Games at the G, training at AAMI, seconds team at Casey, building a lecture theatre at Melbourne Uni...
I think that is part of the appeal of consolidating at the MCG as well as the commercial interests.

I wonder if we will end up with an appeal similar to 'Flight Plan' in order to fund part of this move to get the facilities up to scratch.

How about Melbourne considering moving into the Top 8 instead?

Really, these s**t sandwiches get paid plenty, funnel the effort into onfield gains instead of all this unimportant admin nonsense.

Really, these s**t sandwiches get paid plenty, funnel the effort into onfield gains instead of all this unimportant admin nonsense.

TBH I think these kinds of things do have an impact on on-field performance. United, first-class facilities do a lot to at least make us seem like a club off the field, and that can translate into better mental mindsets for the players. It will also help stop the talent drain of FA.

But I also think you're right to a certain extent; there's been a lot of bluster from the club in the last ~7 years about getting everything sorted out on and off field. How many more false dawns?

The MCG has never been available to us to the level required before which is why we've been nomads looking for better facilities. Junction oval isn't that long ago. Why people are scoffing at this is beyond me. Bartlett, PJ and co are slowly getting us to where we need to be, where we should already be.

Once we get inside the MCG we're in. Build the brand, use the united set up as a selling point to prospective new players.

Also, not sure how this would work but it would be a lot more accomodating after MCG games for any recovery would it not?

The MCG has never been available to us to the level required before which is why we've been nomads looking for better facilities. Junction oval isn't that long ago. Why people are scoffing at this is beyond me. Bartlett, PJ and co are slowly getting us to where we need to be, where we should already be.

Once we get inside the MCG we're in. Build the brand, use the united set up as a selling point to prospective new players.

Also, not sure how this would work but it would be a lot more accomodating after MCG games for any recovery would it not?

I don't know if people are scoffing at the actual idea so much as scoffing at the idea that every two years we seem to be told that we're setting up a long-term base somewhere. The G would definitely be my choice. Let's hope we can get it done.

I don't know if people are scoffing at the actual idea so much as scoffing at the idea that every two years we seem to be told that we're setting up a long-term base somewhere. The G would definitely be my choice. Let's hope we can get it done.

Put it down to previous administrations doing a shithouse job at getting us set up somewhere suitable, permanently.

I'm all for it, as long as it's a long term proposition (i.e. we don't move again).

I get what you're saying mate but it's one in the same really. Supporters either welcome the news or they don't.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what the permanent training ground arrangement is if it isn't Gosch's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So would we be able to use the MCG for training purposes? Sure it would be nice to have a gym, recovery stuff and indoor spaces at the G along with the admin and offices, but we will look damn stupid having to walk across the footbridge and past the tennis centre to still train on Gosch's Paddock.

So would we be able to use the MCG for training purposes? Sure it would be nice to have a gym, recovery stuff and indoor spaces at the G along with the admin and offices, but we will look damn stupid having to walk across the footbridge and past the tennis centre to still train on Gosch's Paddock.
That's the bit I'm not sure about too.

When we were good, 50 years ago or so, did we train at the G then?

Can we please get AFL permission to rename the MCG to 'HELL' when we play home games there?

Exactly what I was thinking, we will never be allowed to train on the MCG, so if we go down this path, we will still have a physical separation of our functions. We are Melbourne, but it's been seemingly forever since we've been settled in just one place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back