Mitch Clark discussion - Geelong gets the flog

Remove this Banner Ad

I think most us us are coming from the viewpoint that if he is healthy enough to be part of the AFL competition, then he should play by the rules and honour the contract he would otherwise be under.

If he's not yet well/strong enough to re-activate his previous contract, then he isn't ready to be part of the AFL and it's system.

As I said I can understand that viewpoint. But I don't think it's fair to be critical of Clark without really having any insight into his reasons for his decision. He may have articulate that to the MFC administration- I'm not sure - but I don't think he really needs to spell it out publicly.

But could it be exploited as a drafting/trading loophole?

What's to stop the top prospect of a draft saying he's been clinically depressed since he was 15 and it'd be dangerous to health to be drafted by a club that isn't Hawthorn/Fremantle/Sydney/Port Adelaide? How dissimilar would that be to what Clark has done?

What's more, with the way Clark has gone about it, the next kid who develops depression mid-contract might not be comfortable asking for assistance, because his club will probably think 'we could get burnt Mitch Clark style here'.. let's protect our own interests.

As I said I can understand that viewpoint. But I don't think it's fair to be critical of Clark without really having any insight into his reasons for his decision. He may have articulate that to the MFC administration- I'm not sure - but I don't think he really needs to spell it out publicly.
Unless he wants to come to the G and see a banner of himself receiving the #11 from an obviously-dying Jim Stynes he needs to explain himself.

Your getting him congratulations

You now have our FB CHB and FF

Dont come across here and try and defend him, he is nothing but a bottom feeding weasel and Im glad he wont ever wear our number 11 again

With respect I don't think you know a lot about depression. Often people may be depressed for relatively short periods.

It appears that Clark's depression was manifested as a consequence of his ongoing problems with injury. A form of exogenous depression. People respond to these situations in different ways - there's no "right" or "wrong" way. Like a marriage breakup or death of a close relative. Most would be sad, some would take longer to get over it than others, some would cope well. But this type of depression is more "treatable" and in Clark's case, his improvement in mood would correlate I'd say with the improvement in his physical well being. At the time that he had depression, I'd say he saw no future in playing AFL. He associated it largely with negative connotations. Hence his decision to retire prematurely.

I can understand the anger of many Melbourne fans that he has decided to move clubs. But you need to remember that Clark probably has an array of mixed feelings associated with Melbourne FC. Perhaps he feels that his best chance of reforging a successful career is in a different environment to the one that he associates with his depression? Perhaps he feels being in Geelong will allow him to be less conspicuous as much as you can playing AFL? Perhaps he feels the support he will get from a better resourced club will be helpful to him? I'd say that he wouldn't be feeling great about the move in terms of what MFC gave up to get him. But I think he can be excused this time for being seen to be a bit "selfish" in his decision. The depression wasn't some elaborate plan made up to get out of MFC.

I apologise for perhaps sounding a touch condescending. I just think that a few here should perhaps show a touch more empathy.

If you can't see how ridiculously convenient this all is you need to open the other eye.

Without sounding condescending, you have no Idea if I have suffered from it before thus you have no idea of my knowledge

Clark was cleared of injury before he retired, thats why he is so keen to walk back into the AFL
He was 'depressed' at the thought of having to work hard at Melbourne again, if he felt so guilty about taking our money how come less than a year later he is comfortable taking a pretty good contract at Geelong without any proof he can even finish a pre season

No. of course I have no idea whether you have had depression. But your comments, to me, show a lack of understanding of it.

I'm not sure how you can arrive at your assessment of him.

Anyway, I'll let you get on with it.

No. of course I have no idea whether you have had depression. But your comments, to me, show a lack of understanding of it.

The same way you have arrived to defending him

You can at least appreciate as members we feel let down, massively

Here we get a guy who is the first genuine potential superstar on our list in for a long time (no disrespect Nate), who comes our firing wearing a club legends number and then suffers a rare and tricky injury

During this the club and members support him

He then tells the club he wants time off but wants to continue to train in the event of a comeback and uses a club written and monitored program in the event he does come back

All is good and he informs the club he's doing well and if I come back it will only be for the dees (he said this btw), only at the 11th hour to come back and completely shaft us. Completely!

We'll get fk all for him after giving up pick 12 and plenty of only a short time ago

You'll get him for nothing and get a fit and healthy potential superstar and continue your time up the top

Let's not kid ourselves

He's fit and ready

Mentally if he wasn't the advice would be stay away from the afl

And then you can nab our chb while you're at it

Equalisation....pfft

You can't understand why we're pissed and jaded?

With respect I don't think you know a lot about depression. Often people may be depressed for relatively short periods.

It appears that Clark's depression was manifested as a consequence of his ongoing problems with injury. A form of exogenous depression. People respond to these situations in different ways - there's no "right" or "wrong" way. Like a marriage breakup or death of a close relative. Most would be sad, some would take longer to get over it than others, some would cope well. But this type of depression is more "treatable" and in Clark's case, his improvement in mood would correlate I'd say with the improvement in his physical well being. At the time that he had depression, I'd say he saw no future in playing AFL. He associated it largely with negative connotations. Hence his decision to retire prematurely.

I can understand the anger of many Melbourne fans that he has decided to move clubs. But you need to remember that Clark probably has an array of mixed feelings associated with Melbourne FC. Perhaps he feels that his best chance of reforging a successful career is in a different environment to the one that he associates with his depression? Perhaps he feels being in Geelong will allow him to be less conspicuous as much as you can playing AFL? Perhaps he feels the support he will get from a better resourced club will be helpful to him? I'd say that he wouldn't be feeling great about the move in terms of what MFC gave up to get him. But I think he can be excused this time for being seen to be a bit "selfish" in his decision. The depression wasn't some elaborate plan made up to get out of MFC.

I apologise for perhaps sounding a touch condescending. I just think that a few here should perhaps show a touch more empathy.

Perhaps **** off & take your opinion elsewhere.

Don't tell us MFC fans to have more empathy! I hope he suffers as much as us long suffering MFC fans have!

You can at least appreciate as members we feel let down, massively

Here we get a guy who is the first genuine potential superstar on our list in for a long time (no disrespect Nate), who comes our firing wearing a club legends number and then suffers a rare and tricky injury

During this the club and members support him

He then tells the club he wants time off but wants to continue to train in the event of a comeback and uses a club written and monitored program in the event he does come back

All is good and he informs the club he's doing well and if I come back it will only be for the dees (he said this btw), only at the 11th hour to come back and completely shaft us. Completely!

We'll get fk all for him after giving up pick 12 and plenty of only a short time ago

You'll get him for nothing and get a fit and healthy potential superstar and continue your time up the top

Let's not kid ourselves

He's fit and ready

Mentally if he wasn't the advice would be stay away from the afl

And then you can nab our chb while you're at it

Equalisation....pfft

You can't understand why we're pissed and jaded?

Absolutely I have sympathy for you and understand how you feel. I might even feel the same if the boot was on the other foot. I suppose that's the beauty of being at arms length - it takes the emotion out of any assessment you may make.

I'd however, if I was a MFC fan be more pissed off with FA. I think it's a disgrace that we can pick up Rivers and Frawley from you at no cost to ourselves. I think we had a great system up until FA came in, which allowed all teams and fans the opportunity to enjoy the cyclical nature that it was designed for. FA, to my mind, has largely destroyed that - I just think it will now be terribly difficult for under-resourced clubs to be competitive enough to win a flag.

Absolutely I have sympathy for you and understand how you feel. I might even feel the same if the boot was on the other foot. I suppose that's the beauty of being at arms length - it takes the emotion out of any assessment you may make.

I'd however, if I was a MFC fan be more pissed off with FA. I think it's a disgrace that we can pick up Rivers and Frawley from you at no cost to ourselves. I think we had a great system up until FA came in, which allowed all teams and fans the opportunity to enjoy the cyclical nature that it was designed for. FA, to my mind, has largely destroyed that - I just think it will now be terribly difficult for under-resourced clubs to be competitive enough to win a flag.

Free agency is the death of our club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Free agency is the death of our club

I bloody hope not. I hope that the AFL commission, in short time, will see pretty quickly that FA will be a blight on our game. If left as it currently stands, if you are a top liner at a struggling club and wanting to experience finals at some stage in your career, you are straight out the door. MFC have been savaged in the last few years - you watch - the likes of Hawthorn, Adelaide, Collingwood and Geelong will look to target the Bulldogs and Saints young guns as they reach the 10 year point. There is real pressure on teams now to have success or risk losing their stars. I hate it.

I bloody hope not. I hope that the AFL commission, in short time, will see pretty quickly that FA will be a blight on our game. If left as it currently stands, if you are a top liner at a struggling club and wanting to experience finals at some stage in your career, you are straight out the door. MFC have been savaged in the last few years - you watch - the likes of Hawthorn, Adelaide, Collingwood and Geelong will look to target the Bulldogs and Saints young guns as they reach the 10 year point. There is real pressure on teams now to have success or risk losing their stars. I hate it.

I'm glad you have that view

Doesn't take away from the fact non free agent mitch screwed us

I don't mean to sound like a knob but I have some inside contacts

Clark screwed us

I'm glad you have that view

Doesn't take away from the fact non free agent mitch screwed us

I don't mean to sound like a knob but I have some inside contacts

Clark screwed us
Not that it takes inside contacts to see he's a massive tit. Was it even 2 days between "I haven't spoken to Roos yet, I hope I'm back at Melbourne" to his manager coming up with the "doctors advice he needs a new team?"

My biggest beef with FA compensation is ladder position isn't taken into account at all.

We are in a position right now that we can't take anyone in FA because it will affect the Frawley compensation. It'd make a lot of sense in terms of equalisation for the bottom 4 teams to be exempt from that.

My biggest beef with FA compensation is ladder position isn't taken into account at all.

We are in a position right now that we can't take anyone in FA because it will affect the Frawley compensation. It'd make a lot of sense in terms of equalisation for the bottom 4 teams to be exempt from that.

I'm just against FA full stop. There has always been a mechanism for players to move clubs - trade period. Through a trade an equitable outcome is by definition (nearly!) always met. If you wanted to leave your club and go to another club you waited until your contract expired and sought a trade. Now it's a dogs breakfast that ONLY benefits the stronger clubs.

LOL, a Geelong fan giving Dees fans a lecture on empathy. I think you are barking up the wrong tree buddy.

I know I can't prove this - but I think you are making excuses for him because he's coming to your team. If you were Melbourne supporter, you'd be looking at this with a far more critical eye.

This is simply incorrect. Your compensation pick comes after your ordinary pick. Finish 16th you get pick 17th. Finish 2nd get pick 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back