Analysis Father/Son Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Great news on Cordy.
Is there any word on whether we will take Foster with a Rookie pick?
Do we get preference on him in the Rookie draft if someone else wants him?

Great news on Cordy.
Is there any word on whether we will take Foster with a Rookie pick?
Do we get preference on him in the Rookie draft if someone else wants him?
He wasn't nominated by the Dogs for the rookie draft, so it's basically first in, first served, but the club's definitely interested if he's available at our pick. Dalrymple spoke about it on Trade Radio earlier today.

He wasn't nominated by the Dogs for the rookie draft, so it's basically first in, first served, but the club's definitely interested if he's available at our pick. Dalrymple spoke about it on Trade Radio earlier today.
Yeah, I kinda wish we had nominated him for the rookie draft (like another club did for a different player) given that we will surely have some rookie spots available.

Yeah, I kinda wish we had nominated him for the rookie draft (like another club did for a different player) given that we will surely have some rookie spots available.
Agreed. We'll definitely have at least one available with Jong being upgraded, and with Jones leaving, I can see Redpath getting an upgrade, too.

The club wants to retain Greenwood as a rookie, and who knows with Austin.

Agreed. We'll definitely have at least one available with Jong being upgraded, and with Jones leaving, I can see Redpath getting an upgrade, too.

The club wants to retain Greenwood as a rookie, and who knows with Austin.

Just on Greenwood....I thought he was in his 3rd year and couldn't remain on the list? I hope we can keep him, I like him.

Just on Greenwood....I thought he was in his 3rd year and couldn't remain on the list? I hope we can keep him, I like him.
We can keep him, but only if we re-draft him through the rookie draft. Another club could swoop, or he could choose to look elsewhere.

We can keep him, but only if we re-draft him through the rookie draft. Another club could swoop, or he could choose to look elsewhere.

ok....I thought so. Unlikely we would promote him just yet, the kid deserves a chance to see what else is out there for him, and if not maybe we can get him back. His development has been great, he's hard with solid skills but is well down the list in terms of our midfield at the moment anyway.

Yeah not nominating him makes me think we may overlook him which will be a shame.
Someone said in KM's phantom draft thread that Foster pulled out of the state screenings due to soreness. Suggested there may be a sneakier reason.

You'd think a guy that got overlooked last year & didn't get invited to the combine would do everything possible to test at the screenings in the hope of making a list...

....unless he had some kind of understanding....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So pumped that we got Cordy that late, a real steal especially considering where he was rated. Why did nobody nominate him earlier?

I reckon a lot of teams held onto their picks cos they want to use them in trades. Eg for Geelong, Cordy at 31 might've been a good deal but not worth missing out on mitch clark, or having to use their first rounder to trade for him because they've got no second.

Cordy fell into the category of pretty good but not so good that you don't want to see what else your picks might get.

I reckon a lot of teams held onto their picks cos they want to use them in trades. Eg for Geelong, Cordy at 31 might've been a good deal but not worth missing out on mitch clark, or having to use their first rounder to trade for him because they've got no second.

Cordy fell into the category of pretty good but not so good that you don't want to see what else your picks might get.
Yeah, the advantage of it being before Trade Week is that other clubs don't want to harm the impact of their flexibility in trade negotiations and therefore don't bid.

Do you guys think that 2015 is the year for Wallis?

He has shown glimpses for since 2012, but has never really become a consistent ball winner.
It's not really that for Wallis. He's always been a brilliant contested ball winner and can rack the disposals up with ease, he's just a very average disposer of the ball. He needs to improve his disposal, get on the outside a bit more and weigh up his options a little better; they're the areas that have seen him dropped at various stages.

He'll keep developing, but likely never becomes a star. He's already a very, very valuable cog in our midfield, though.

It's not really that for Wallis. He's always been a brilliant contested ball winner and can rack the disposals up with ease, he's just a very average disposer of the ball. He needs to improve his disposal, get on the outside a bit more and weigh up his options a little better; they're the areas that have seen him dropped at various stages.

He'll keep developing, but likely never becomes a star. He's already a very, very valuable cog in our midfield, though.

And unavailable to GWS as a father son - look elsewhere young man.