Analysis Father/Son Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Simon Beasley was talking to Geoff Poulter and Kevin Hillier on SEN this evening, and said his son is having a crack at footy again. Said he will do a pre-season at Footscray this year.
Good news

Because we didn't think we'd take as many picks as we now will, and thought we had better options on the table with our available picks and available spots on the list.

I wouldnt be surprised to see us picking him up now as a rookie or very late in the main draft given what has transpired over the past week.

Because we didn't think we'd take as many picks as we now will, and thought we had better options on the table with our available picks and available spots on the list.

I wouldnt be surprised to see us picking him up now as a rookie or very late in the main draft given what has transpired over the past week.
Hopefully we do, think he could be a very capable player; in a position we don't have very much of

Foster does sound like he could make a good foil for Boyd, hope we pick him up
The issue is, when the ball isn't directed to him, he does little - so playing with a power forward that (hopefully) demands the ball constantly may not work out too well. Further, I'm just not sure he's good enough to be the number 1 target at AFL level.

I'm not totally against picking him up but really do think we're getting overly emotionally attached to Foster because of the father/son connection.

The issue is, when the ball isn't directed to him, he does little - so playing with a power forward that (hopefully) demands the ball constantly may not work out too well. Further, I'm just not sure he's good enough to be the number 1 target at AFL level.

I'm not totally against picking him up but really do think we're getting overly emotionally attached to Foster because of the father/son connection.
So you aren't sure he would be better than Boyd? :p Just going on the chance that he could be good, worth a try anyways I think.

Can he play as an inside mid, cos you know, mids are getting taller all the time?!!! :p

I'm sure other people have probably covered it, but what is his mobility like? Could he play CHF, or key back, or pinch hit in the ruck? I'm assuming he can't, but if he did have other strings to his bow, might be something to work with at Footscray.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you aren't sure he would be better than Boyd? :p Just going on the chance that he could be good, worth a try anyways I think.
I hope not, given how much we're paying Boyd. :p

Can he play as an inside mid, cos you know, mids are getting taller all the time?!!! :p

I'm sure other people have probably covered it, but what is his mobility like? Could he play CHF, or key back, or pinch hit in the ruck? I'm assuming he can't, but if he did have other strings to his bow, might be something to work with at Footscray.
He's done all of the things you've mentioned to a reasonable extent. His athleticism is decent, but it's just the way he uses it that's the problem. He's a long way from natural and doesn't really find his way into games - if he's not being fed the ball over and over, he'll finish the game without a touch. Unfortunately, in today's AFL, you can't just have a 'stand and deliver' KPF; they need other strings to their bow.

I hope not, given how much we're paying Boyd. :p

He's done all of the things you've mentioned to a reasonable extent. His athleticism is decent, but it's just the way he uses it that's the problem. He's a long way from natural and doesn't really find his way into games - if he's not being fed the ball over and over, he'll finish the game without a touch. Unfortunately, in today's AFL, you can't just have a 'stand and deliver' KPF; they need other strings to their bow.

That's what I was getting at. Ah, well, just have to hang on the "his father was a late bloomer" angle.

TBH, I saw his old man play a reserves game for us at WO in 83 and he looked lost, and I thought, "looks like we picked up a dud from Fitzroy". Then I saw another reserves game, and he took a few marks, and I though "hm, maybe". Second half of 84 and into 85, he was a fixture in our defence.

Eligible Father/Son Selections

Jayden Foster (2013 Draft) (Went Undrafted- Stayed on as Calder Cannons 19yo Selection)
Luke Kennedy (2013 Draft) (Went Undrafted- Stayed on as 19yo Selection)
Zaine Cordy - (2014 Draft)
Josh Wallis - (2014 Draft)
*Michael Romero (2015? Draft)
Darcy MacPherson - (2015 Draft)
Jacob Smith - (2018 Draft)
Rhylee West - (2018 Draft)
Sam Darcy - (2019 Draft)
*Oliver Liberatore (2019? Draft)
Cooper West - (2021 Draft)
Kobi West - (2021 Draft)
Kyan Eagleton - (2022 Draft)
Mitchell Croft - (2022 Draft)
Jordan Croft - (2022 Draft)
Tom Garlick - (2023 Draft)
Max Darcy - (2023 Draft)
Jarvis Murphy - (2023 Draft)
Jack Johnson - (2023 Draft)
Harry Cameron - (2024 Draft)
Lukas Eagleton - (2025 Draft)
Jaxon Cooney - (2025 Draft)
Oliver Grant - (2025 Draft)
Jarvis Murphy - (2025 Draft)
Cohen Lake - (2025 Draft)
Sonny Garlick - (2025 Draft)
Riley Morris - (2026 Draft)
Zakaria Daniel Mark Southern (2028 Draft)
Malachy Picken - (2030 Draft)
Levi Hahn (2030 Draft)
Otis Giansiracusa - (2030 Draft)
Tyler Cross - (2030 Draft)

.... Stringer - (2032 Draft)

Unsure of Age
(Leon) Jack Cameron - ??

Featuring Zaine Cordy, Michael Romero and Darcy MacPherson...
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2013-09-25/future-fatherson-prospects-at-whitten-oval

F/S Stats:
Jayden Foster
http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...96134439&client=1-3020-111723-253881-18717768

Zaine Cordy
http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...96055708&client=1-3020-111704-253881-18717771

Michael Romero
http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...192287569&client=0-3922-48421-257723-10422937

Darcy MacPherson
http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...192811247&client=1-3913-48185-257086-16985265

Jacob Smith
http://www.foxsportspulse.com/team_...pID=192562140&client=1-25-8660-260483-4467245

Oliver Liberatore
http://www.foxsportspulse.com/team_...pID=192565402&client=1-25-8651-260496-5351029
Whats his height anybody know?

Just looking at the links to the players in a post above me. Would it be worrying to see that MacPearson and Romero have both player barely any games this season, particular Romero who was last listed as playing in 2013? Or do they both play for a second team? Unless the site is terrible for updating statistics

Smith is an interesting one, look at the bags of goals he his kicking. What position does the guy play? 46 goals in 18 games

Oliver Liberatore is regularly listed in the bests as well

Two prospects we should get excited about?

Just looking at the links to the players in a post above me. Would it be worrying to see that MacPearson and Romero have both player barely any games this season, particular Romero who was last listed as playing in 2013? Or do they both play for a second team? Unless the site is terrible for updating statistics

Smith is an interesting one, look at the bags of goals he his kicking. What position does the guy play? 46 goals in 18 games

Oliver Liberatore is regularly listed in the bests as well

Two prospects we should get excited about?
Was talking to a guy about smith last year, as his son plays with him, said that he can play anywhere, but plays a lot up forward, good skills and a kick, he also said that he rolled his ankle one week, so Rohan took him to the club to get it checked out and took home the new icing machine to help with his recovery

Was talking to a guy about smith last year, as his son plays with him, said that he can play anywhere, but plays a lot up forward, good skills and a kick, he also said that he rolled his ankle one week, so Rohan took him to the club to get it checked out and took home the new icing machine to help with his recovery

Would you classify him as a small, medium or tall player at the moment? Any idea what his position he would likely be if he stood up to TAC Cup? Would love to think we'll end up with a gun player who is above 190cm, or even taller :p

Would you classify him as a small, medium or tall player at the moment? Any idea what his position he would likely be if he stood up to TAC Cup? Would love to think we'll end up with a gun player who is above 190cm, or even taller :p
I dunno, my impression was that he was one of the bigger kids, but remember it's under 14s so could be caught up by the time he is 17

Rohan wasn't very tall, anyone met his wife? Hopefully she brought the tall genes like Libba Snr's wife.

Need to add the following to the father son list considering Boyd will no doubt play over 100 games in his 7+ years at the WB:

2035 - Tom Boyd Jnr
2037 - Brian Boyd & Barry Boyd (Twins)

Should set up our forward line for 10+ years with 3 x 210+cm KPF's from 2037 onwards seeing the bulldogs increase their premiership tally from 7 to 17 after winning 10 back to back and being declared the greatest team of all time.

Need to add the following to the father son list considering Boyd will no doubt play over 100 games in his 7+ years at the WB:

2035 - Tom Boyd Jnr
2037 - Brian Boyd & Barry Boyd (Twins)

Should set up our forward line for 10+ years with 3 x 210+cm KPF's from 2037 onwards seeing the bulldogs increase their premiership tally from 7 to 17 after winning 10 back to back and being declared the greatest team of all time.
I'll cry if none of them are called Brad.