I like Brendan McCartney

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys,
Sorry for the intrusion. Yeah I agree with the majority in here. Macca had a great plan and I really think the board took the easy way out by sacking him. I really hope he gets a gig somewhere else, I never thought of gold coast before today. He would be an awesome fit.

Anyways the reason why I came here is I was wondering what peter sumich is like? Pros? Cons? I have only read interviews and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders..

Thanks.

Sumich sounds a bit slow. Has a drawl and mannerisms that suggest he's a slow thinker.
But he has the respect of the players and coach, and isn't above barking at the players when necessary during pre season training. Did well as a senior coach at WAFL, before being one of the brains of the Eagles during their last premiership, and would have gained even more perspective as one of Lyon's right hand men.
Choosing Sumich -an experienced assistant coach who has served a long apprenticeship, would be a fairly safe bet, but might not solve the Bulldog's problems: isn't that what they did with McCartney? He was no spring chicken.

getting mccartney to Peel is probably one of the best ideas i've read on this board. As for the guy with the story about the dockers players at the red sea - well, I don't know why someone would just make that up, so I'm inclined to believe it.

getting mccartney to Peel is probably one of the best ideas i've read on this board. As for the guy with the story about the dockers players at the red sea - well, I don't know why someone would just make that up, so I'm inclined to believe it.

And that's why someone would make that up, so that you'd believe it.
It's that easy.

And that's why someone would make that up, so that you'd believe it.
It's that easy.
I know, being a football player/celebrity/well known person in a two team town, it sounds so plausible they'd invite a total stranger back to their house after a quick chat for a few minutes to "get on the rock".

Was also funny how they had to "line up" at a place that apparently was 'dead' once they got inside. I've never seen a line of people outside a club or pub when the place was dead inside. Again, such a plausible story.

Who are you personally hoping to get as senior coach??
McCartney.

All jokes aside, I liked what I read about sumich and has a good record. Although I don't like the bit about him being slow haha, which is what I kind of gathered. Out of all I would be most happy with Tudor, however it's been rumoured he has/had a drug and gambling problem?

McCartney.

All jokes aside, I liked what I read about sumich and has a good record. Although I don't like the bit about him being slow haha, which is what I kind of gathered. Out of all I would be most happy with Tudor, however it's been rumoured he has/had a drug and gambling problem?
Sumich is far from slow. Don't judge a man by the way he speaks, judge him by what he has to say.

Forget those Tip Top ads from the 90's.

One of the things that has always made me have doubts about Sumich was that when he was at the Eagles they had a very ordinary forward line and structure. Sumich however was midfield coach. That is, he was put in charge of coaching the likes of Judd*, Cousins*, Kerr and Cox. If i was senior coach and had an ex-forward (who has probably never actually stepped foot in the centre square) as an assistant that is not the task I would have given him.

* I am sure there is another Brownlow Medallist I should have included in their midfield list???

Channel 7 suggesting Sumich is the front runner for the dogs position! Straight swap?
Oh really? I'm so surprised that Suma's mate Barich would suggest that. ;) Channel 7 Perth and the West Australian have pushed Suma's barrow for every coaching position available in the last 5 years.
The entire W.A media will be behind a push to get Sumich into the chair at the Bullies.
Personally I reckon he would be a pretty good option for them too. Unfortunately, like everything vic-centric, Sumich would barely rate a mention with the Melbourne media. They are pushing the usual names around - Ratten, Williams, Bolton, Dew and even Leigh Tudor for chrissakes!

Personally I reckon he would be a pretty good option for them too. Unfortunately, like everything vic-centric, Sumich would barely rate a mention with the Melbourne media.

It is interesting that the flavour of the month seems to be long standing assistants off the back of Hinkley's success. Richardson and Walsh are of a similar vein. If the Dogs want someone with a successful playing background, lots of coaching experience and success at being a head coach at the next level down, the planets may well line up for Suma. He does have an impressive CV. Good luck to him.

Seriously, is there a less desirable coaching job? The only contender would be Melbourne and that would be marginal. St Kilda I guess. They are really struggling when the captain walks out and the President follows up by sacking the coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously, is there a less desirable coaching job? The only contender would be Melbourne and that would be marginal. St Kilda I guess. They are really struggling when the captain walks out and the President follows up by sacking the coach.
I guess it depends on how desperate you are for a senior post. And Suma would be pretty damn desperate you would have thought....

I would be pretty shocked if no Fremantle players took drugs.

Drugs are pretty popular with people under 30, and that includes football players.

Most of them are no worse for you than alcohol anyway, it's only an accident of history that some drugs are legal and others not.

Drugs are pretty popular with people under 30, and that includes football players.

Most of them are no worse for you than alcohol anyway, it's only an accident of history that some drugs are legal and others not.
True, but there's a lot of holes in that guys story.

1. He was lining up outside a pub that was 'dead' inside
2. According to the story he was on his own... who goes out pubbing/clubbing on their own?
3. Well known senior footballers didn't know him from a bar of soap, yet they invited him back to their place to get on the rock?

Sorry, but this sounds like horseshit to me.

I don't buy that, they have a nice young list. Griffin leaving could be a gift from God if it gets them a top 4 pick plus a fringe KPP.

The buldogs are CHF and CHB away from having a very good side in 2-3 years, it is a pity they will peak the same time as GWS and GC.

I don't buy that, they have a nice young list. Griffin leaving could be a gift from God if it gets them a top 4 pick plus a fringe KPP.

The buldogs are CHF and CHB away from having a very good side in 2-3 years, it is a pity they will peak the same time as GWS and GC.

I am not really talking about their list, which I think you over-rate. It is not really about Griffin the player either, it is about the captain and how it has come about. They failed to identify that the captain and coach had irreconcilable differences, one has walked, the other has been dismissed as a direct result (with the implication that the ex-captain is not the only person not happy). Last year they overpaid for a medium forward, and this year they are losing a KPF.

It looks for all the world to me that off-field they are a bit of a shambles.

Seen Dion Woods out not drinking in a pretty suspicious condition when he played for us. I don't care if players do it off-season but they should not be doing it after just playing a game when they should be recovering.

Someone that went to school with him said that he was pretty average academically. Great bloke though that was good at almost any sport.

Don't get me wrong. I only said he sounds a bit slow. Words don't come out too quick. That says nothing about how bright he is, or how quick his mind is.
I work with a bloke who has a lot to do with Speakeasy. Voice is slow (to avoid stuttering), mind is very sharp...

And can we stop speculating about drug use of AFL players on this thread? Any numb nut can say anything they like about anyone on the Internet, and it means precisely nothing as far as the player is concerned. Says a fair deal about the people trying to justify their own drug use, though.

I don't feel the need to justify my own drug use. I own my body and can put whatever I want in it. The government is the party who has yet to justify their case for making some drugs illegal for no good reason.

Want to know a secret?

The Bullies have a massive drug problem, have since the 90s, and have a culture of the older boys calling the shots. It's the truth

So he's alright
What a load of crap......lol

Don't think u understand the amount of supporters calling for his head, he is a great development coach but not a senior coaches araehole

Remove this Banner Ad

Back