What was your highlight of the 2014 GF?

Remove this Banner Ad

Intensity and leadership.

Loved the menace and intent to hunt and hurt, all day, to a man.

We were a class above. Absolutely smashed them.

We let the competition know that we are the king of the jungle.

Last edited:

watched it again last night, really liked the boy's efforts in the last quarter, playing as if they weren't 10 goals up, Poppy and Mitchell in particular in-and-under hard manic tackling, outstanding.

Even the Leigh Matthews statue out the front of the G could tackle Tippett. Horrible footballer.

Well he also ran down Malceski and nailed Harry Taylor and Blicavs v Geelong. I think he held his own on the taackling count through finals.

My favourite moment was when Clarko stood on the dias and just looked around for few moments and listened to the crowd go nuts, it must have been a very special moment for him.

The grin said it all - I think they all knew they could win but by that much - blew him away

When Malceski selected a different football from the bag behind the goals. The skill and poise under pressure and a cloud of confusion to grab that Sherrin out of the bag after careful selection and then walk back to the goal square will never be forgotten - a great Grand Final moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Malceski selected a different football from the bag behind the goals. The skill and poise under pressure and a cloud of confusion to grab that Sherrin out of the bag after careful selection and then walk back to the goal square will never be forgotten - a great Grand Final moment.

And on the radio they thought it was because he thought the ball may of been flat
Even the commentary don't know the rules (although I don't think it's been enforced so vigorously since it's inception)

And on the radio they thought it was because he thought the ball may of been flat
Even the commentary don't know the rules (although I don't think it's been enforced so vigorously since it's inception)
I did notice that on one of the radio commentaries. I thought it seemed pretty obvious that he was being told to swap it because he'd gone too early.

I'm glad someone has mentioned this, for all the general esteem that our kicking game is held in along with the brutality of our attack on man and ball I think our handballing doesn't really get mentioned.

I saw earlier in the year that we had the most handballs in the comp, no doubt this is partly due to having the most possessions, but a couple of years ago we pretty much always had the highest kick to handball ratio and I'm not sure exactly where the subtle shift occurred but it surely has.

I remember a while back, probably around 2009/2010, where we tried at times to ape the Geelong handball game and we just got ourselves in all sorts of trouble (ring o ring o roses got mentioned on here a few times) but now we're just super slick.

There's been numerous times this year, including the GF, where one of our players has had possession under severe pressure in congestion and I'm thinking just put boot to ball and they take their time and just get out a handball by the width of a f** paper and then I have the same thoughts with the second player and like you say it might be the 3rd or 4th receiver who is suddenly bursting clear with the ball in his hands. It's so skilled that it really must be something that has been worked on in great detail.
I noticed this in the NAB cup game against the Lions (iirc). I remember posting about it in this forum and a couple of other guys noticed it too. It was possibly a plan right from the get-go for 2014.

Hodgey is a rare unit.....not too many people could get away with that one.
There were two occasions where I thought Hodge showed he had Buddy psyched out. One was the kiss, but the other more significant time was the one on one contest with about 30 sec to go in the second quarter. The ball was lobbed in high to Buddy alone against Hodge. You could tell when the ball got within 30m that all Buddy could think about was his ex-captain coming to teach him a lesson. Hodge came in from the side and forced the ball over the boundary. Buddy put up a pretty lame effort considering the other good contests he made during the game. The mental hold Hodge had over Buddy right then was palpable.

The Surfing....is this Clarko's new game plan?

Wave after wave hawks were everywhere, left right, back and forward, players were lining up to assist each other and I particularly liked the handballs to 'the voice'; time and again this happened harlem globetrotter style

Seriously we just attacked in waves (or lines)....never seen it like that before absolutely loved it

Watching it again, seeing that arrogant little bastard Hannebery get put on his ass over and over and over was extremely satisfying
The pressure was amazing, Sydney were deer in headlights out there

Mine was easily my favourite football memory to date, I was sitting a couple of rows behind the bench. With a couple of minutes to go Hodgey and Mitch were both off the ground, still talking strategy but you could see in their eyes they'd knew what they'd done. Burgoyne I think kicked a goal and they celebrated and it was just epic seeing their reaction up close

that is why we went back to back and a good chance for 3peat

Of all the early barometers, Kennedy getting done holding the ball (which he gets away with far too often) gave the Hawks the sniff of blood in the water, & conversely stunned the Swans players, none more so than Kennedy himself... Now if only the umpires reward the Selwood tackles 

Rioli starting the game in the centre, sending a message to all that there were no fears about him pinging his hamstring.

And Burgoyne's first quarter, especially his waltz through the centre with a cluster of Swans dithering around him.

But by far the biggest highlight was Roughy smashing Hannebery. There were many more highlights but these were my top 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back