Scape Goat Mitch Robinson - to retain or not to retain

Should Mitch Robinson be given a chance to 'redeem' himself!

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade value = zero
Value to the CFC = minimal

Robinson simply isn't good enough to compete with other sides 2nd stringers.

Why bother keeping him ?

Don't tell me he gives us 100% week in, week out as well. Getting suspended and screwing things up at 5am whilst suspended is far from 100%.

He's a limited footballer, pure and simple. Cannot fault his effort or courage on the field but mediocre players like Robbo have been the norm at Carlton for far too long.

This.

Robinson's disposal is poor, his clearance game is average and inside game overall is exceedingly average.

The quicker people realise Robbo isn't getting booted due to onfield reasons the better.

All I care about re Carlton footballers is how they perform on field - they are paid professionals and their profession is football. If their general off field behaviour is detrimental to other player's performance - then that is a reason to see them gone as well.

Even if he's goneski, he's clearly too good for VFL-type level and I think can certainly be good for a team that is willing to pick him up. Especially a team that has some youngsters who might need someone to take the heavier hits for them - and we know Robbo can take an unreal amount of physical punishment.

The Demons are a couple of years away from making the 8, so maybe his best chance is at Melbourne. Reuniting Jeff and Robbo, of course. :eek:

Roos and the Swans had a "no dickheads" policy for a while. That, obviously, went out the window last year when they recruited Duddy.

All I care about re Carlton footballers is how they perform on field - they are paid professionals and their profession is football. If their general off field behaviour is detrimental to other player's performance - then that is a reason to see them gone as well.
Spot on.

And I'd be more than happy to take him at essendon. Then again, he is a relative of mine, so I'm a bit bias.

T

If you really believe that this thread wouldn't exist :p

Holman > Robbo is how i think the coaching staff see things..... Holman isnt quite as kamikaze as Robbo but he is more polished, so i think they see an upgrade on him for the future...

T

If you really believe that this thread wouldn't exist :p

I rate Robinson on field performance a lot higher than some on here. Also will not 'guess' about him being a bad influence on players - Mitch is who he is. So far all the new recruits aren't anywhere near his ability to influence a game on field.

That is why I started the thread and that s why the great majority of posters believe he deserves a chance - I guess.

As I said,I'm glad you're not in a position to make those decisions.
A child care centre,okey mete.
It takes more than best 22,but you keep spouting that as some sort of relevance to modern footy clubs.
As far as his festival fraca,he's an easy target.
Do you know what was said or what truly happened?.
I hope he stays and kills it,I think his pros far outweigh the cons.
Perhaps I'm just an old naive forgiving bloke?!.

If they're not in the 22 then it's even more essential that they have the character to play a part in developing the culture of the club .. Someone for the kids to look up to and learn from ..

What I do know is that Robbo has been involved in two fights ... At some point crying victim becomes suspect ..

I hope he goes on and has a successful life somewhere in footy or outside.

Regardless of character, culture etc (which I do consider enormously important), Robbo is a turnover merchant, he's not effective enough, takes the odd good grab and kicks the odd nice goal but his overall value to the team is minimal ... Not part of the now or the future ... Talk about his heart and desperation all you like -- if he actually made and stuck his tackles and created play through his hardness then he might make it in the 22 for the time being. Again, he's very poor man's Adrian hickmott. Hickmott knew how to make his hardness count.

I rate Robinson on field performance a lot higher than some on here. Also will not 'guess' about him being a bad influence on players - Mitch is who he is. So far all the new recruits aren't anywhere near his ability to influence a game on field.

That is why I started the thread and that s why the great majority of posters believe he deserves a chance - I guess.
As I said, as soon as more people come to grips with the idea that Robbo is being booted out for off field reasons, the better it is.

Nothing I have stated about Robbo & his departure has anything to do with his ability or on field performances.

FWIW - I think he is a more than capable footballer. If it was purely judged on on field things - he wouldn't be a chance of being delisted. We offered him a contract extension mid year (which he rejected) - clearly the club think he is worthy of a list spot in terms of footballing ability.

I would like Robo to stay on the condition that the playing group want Robo to stay as from reports it was the playing groups loss of trust in him which became the nail in the coffin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they're not in the 22 then it's even more essential that they have the character to play a part in developing the culture of the club .. Someone for the kids to look up to and learn from ..

What I do know is that Robbo has been involved in two fights ... At some point crying victim becomes suspect ..

I hope he goes on and has a successful life somewhere in footy or outside.

Regardless of character, culture etc (which I do consider enormously important), Robbo is a turnover merchant, he's not effective enough, takes the odd good grab and kicks the odd nice goal but his overall value to the team is minimal ... Not part of the now or the future ... Talk about his heart and desperation all you like -- if he actually made and stuck his tackles and created play through his hardness then he might make it in the 22 for the time being. Again, he's very poor man's Adrian hickmott. Hickmott knew how to make his hardness count.
So remove the 'one love' part from your sig.....
Cause you have none.
:p

I know he is probably gone and it is undoubtedly a decision that hasn't been taken lightly, but I do hope he stays - I just have a soft spot for him.

Reckon he would be fun to have a beer with, or a cheeky half.

So remove the 'one love' part from your sig.....
Cause you have none.
:p

I get tired of arguments going round in circles pretty quickly ... As I presume you do.

We all want what's best for Carlton and we have different perspectives on what that is, and that's to be expected.

The way I see it, we have just had the worst 15 years of our proud existence. Right now, we are bordering on being a run of the mill club. We have gone from being almost without question, the most successful club of all time, to sitting at the top with a few others ..

I feel like we're about to leave those dark years behind us and I don't want to risk that exit. I'm afraid to risk it. I certainly don't want it risked on someone that even the most one-eyed Robbo fans would consider ranked about 12-15 in our best 22 .. My position is that he's outside the 22. Either way, what's the point? ... This might be hardline, but we have to set a standard now. It's been way too long.

Robbo has already had one of the greatest experiences by donning the Carlton jumper ... I feel like he's supremely lucky, not unlucky. I feel sorry for him because he's screwed it, and he may have lasted a couple more seasons if he'd avoided trouble, but pretty soon, he more than likely wasn't going to be part of our 22 in the eyes of anyone.

I have a huge amount of faith in M&M, and I think that I'm in line with them, but I may not be. If they decide that they want to keep him, then I'll trust them - I won't be hugely upset, I'll back them to make the right call. Lying is one of those things that people seem divided on ... Certainly there are contexts that affect that. My parents wouldn't have a clue how much I drank on weekends and the s**t we'd get up to, for instance... In the context of a football club though, where you need to be able to trust your players, teammates, comrades, 100%, it's a lot more significant. Outside of that, his indiscretions haven't been huge, but they've happened.

I just don't see the point in risking the fabric of the club and team, and risking the direction we are going, at such a pivotal point in our history. And from my point of view, it really is that massive of a moment now. For mine, the next couple of years is the most important the Carlton Football Club has ever faced. We need to get out of this dark period before it totally engulfs us and drives us to the dungeon.

Anyway, consider this my last response until something 'off-the-scale' outrageous gets me going again (not from you)! :)

We can have our disagreements but we unite pretty quickly when required and that's what makes being part of the CFC TRIBE GREAT!! ONE LOVE stays! ;)

Holman > Robbo is how i think the coaching staff see things..... Holman isnt quite as kamikaze as Robbo but he is more polished, so i think they see an upgrade on him for the future...
I've read some bollocks on Robbo in this thread, but this takes the cake. How many games has Holman played? Plays in the twos but coaching staff see different? If you want him gone due to of-field antics - fair enough - it's a valid point (personally I don't think he should be gone for that - he deserves at least a final warning), but don't spout absolute garbage based on hear-say. If Judd says he thinks Robbo has more to offer, good enough for me.

I've read some bollocks on Robbo in this thread, but this takes the cake. How many games has Holman played? Plays in the twos but coaching staff see different? If you want him gone due to of-field antics - fair enough - it's a valid point (personally I don't think he should be gone for that - he deserves at least a final warning), but don't spout absolute garbage based on hear-say. If Judd says he thinks Robbo has more to offer, good enough for me.

To be fair, he is talking about the future... Don't want to be too nit-picky but Juddy plays the media game a bit like a politician ... Did he clarify that Robbo has more to offer at Carlton or did he just say that Robbo has more to offer generally? ... I can't remember his exact words, but I remember thinking at the time that he was quite restrained in his endorsement, and rightfully so, given that the season was still in progress.

I get tired of arguments going round in circles pretty quickly ... As I presume you do.

We all want what's best for Carlton and we have different perspectives on what that is, and that's to be expected.

The way I see it, we have just had the worst 15 years of our proud existence. Right now, we are bordering on being a run of the mill club. We have gone from being almost without question, the most successful club of all time, to sitting at the top with a few others ..

I feel like we're about to leave those dark years behind us and I don't want to risk that exit. I'm afraid to risk it. I certainly don't want it risked on someone that even the most one-eyed Robbo fans would consider ranked about 12-15 in our best 22 .. My position is that he's outside the 22. Either way, what's the point? ... This might be hardline, but we have to set a standard now. It's been way too long.

Robbo has already had one of the greatest experiences by donning the Carlton jumper ... I feel like he's supremely lucky, not unlucky. I feel sorry for him because he's screwed it, and he may have lasted a couple more seasons if he'd avoided trouble, but pretty soon, he more than likely wasn't going to be part of our 22 in the eyes of anyone.

I have a huge amount of faith in M&M, and I think that I'm in line with them, but I may not be. If they decide that they want to keep him, then I'll trust them - I won't be hugely upset, I'll back them to make the right call. Lying is one of those things that people seem divided on ... Certainly there are contexts that affect that. My parents wouldn't have a clue how much I drank on weekends and the s**t we'd get up to, for instance... In the context of a football club though, where you need to be able to trust your players, teammates, comrades, 100%, it's a lot more significant. Outside of that, his indiscretions haven't been huge, but they've happened.

I just don't see the point in risking the fabric of the club and team, and risking the direction we are going, at such a pivotal point in our history. And from my point of view, it really is that massive of a moment now. For mine, the next couple of years is the most important the Carlton Football Club has ever faced. We need to get out of this dark period before it totally engulfs us and drives us to the dungeon.

Anyway, consider this my last response until something 'off-the-scale' outrageous gets me going again (not from you)! :)

We can have our disagreements but we unite pretty quickly when required and that's what makes being part of the CFC TRIBE GREAT!! ONE LOVE stays! ;)
Okay fnm_just a man, I love too!!.
:)
And it stays........
:rainbow:

To be fair, he is talking about the future... Don't want to be too nit-picky but Juddy plays the media game a bit like a politician ... Did he clarify that Robbo has more to offer at Carlton or did he just say that Robbo has more to offer generally? ... I can't remember his exact words, but I remember thinking at the time that he was quite restrained in his endorsement, and rightfully so, given that the season was still in progress.
I see your point, but all these calls about Robbo not being best 22 are just crap. Those same people have already penciled in Whiley based on hype and 1 highlights video. Keep it real people. He has served the club well in the past.

I see your point, but all these calls about Robbo not being best 22 are just crap. Those same people have already penciled in Whiley based on hype and 1 highlights video. Keep it real people. He has served the club well in the past.

He has. But as it has been hinted multiple times in this thread - Robbo isn't being shipped off due to his footballing abilities.

He has. But as it has been hinted multiple times in this thread - Robbo isn't being shipped off due to his footballing abilities.
You are beating your head against a brick wall, etsy. Some would prefer to ignore what comes with Robbo, much like some would have been happy to continue turning a blind eye to the negative impact Fev was having on the playing group. There are some supporters who still think we are playing the game in the '70s or '80s.

You are beating your head against a brick wall, etsy. Some would prefer to ignore what comes with Robbo, much like some would have been happy to continue turning a blind eye to the negative impact Fev was having on the playing group. There are some supporters who still think we are playing the game in the '70s or '80s.

Nah, if Robbo was playing in the 70's or 80's he would be considered a saint in comparison to some of the club legends and premiership stars who we put on a pedestal to this day.

It is abundantly clear to those of us that lived through that time that the game has changed and not necessarily for the best.

Nah, if Robbo was playing in the 70's or 80's he would be considered a saint in comparison to some of the club legends and premiership stars who we put on a pedestal to this day.

It is abundantly clear to those of us that lived through that time that the game has changed and not necessarily for the best.
Yes the game has changed & many aspects have not been for the best however our club needs to be run in a way that a successful club is run in the 21st Century & if this means weeding out any ratbag element, so be it.

There is no doubt the game has been sanitised, but you can't fight it, you have to go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back